Cant be motivated, ever.

Options

Replies

• alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've been there girl, trust me. It's all about will power. It not going to be easy. It took some time for me to finally hit my "this is it" point. Do your research on healthy foods...tons of it. That's what helped me. I was obsessed with figuring out what was healthy for me. Now, eating right comes easily (sort of). You will deal with temptations for the rest of your life. The bottom line is you need to get it together and fight through it. Eat in moderation....yes, this will be hard at first if your used to eating whatever you want. The good news is your body will get used to it. You just have to be patient. You can do this. You either want it, or you don't. It's all up to you.
  • deeznutz777
    deeznutz777 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone else on this! Stop with the excuses and just do it. It is easier said than done but you CAN do it!
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow never comes. It's what we do right here right now that matters. I may not be able to move a mountain right now, but I can move one stone, one rock, one pebble, one grain of sand. If I do that right here right now and string enough of them together, I've moved a mountain. But right here right now I have this rock to move. What am I going to do about it?

Pick one goal and focus on it. You choose and do the one thing until you can add another and yet another. You CAN do this, the question you must answer, every moment of every day is, "WILL I do this?"
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think until you really want to do it you'll never get motivated.

I used to smoke. I used to half heartedly give up every now and then but it would only last a few days as I didn't actually care enough. Then one day I decided that I didn't want to be a smoker any more and gave up, just like that. Tomorrow it will be 8 years and 5 months since I gave up.

This year I had the same lightbulb moment with being overweight and unfit. I've been on diets before, but never really kept it off. This time though I think I am going to manage it. I don't want to be the fat one for the rest of my life, and I am the only person that can do something about it.

Until you get to that point you will keep making excuses. Mine were that I would make my asthma worse if I exercised or that I didn't have enough time with three children and a job. But if you really want to do something you will find a way.

Good luck when you get to that point! :happy:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough to do it...you apparently don't want it bad enough. The last time I tried this I wanted it bad enough for well about 6 months or so, then didn't care anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to quit this time, but look at what I've done. Why would I want to stop now? It's still a long road ahead of me but I feel I'm in it for the long haul. I'm so excited to see the new me, the me I see and feel(in my head), but don't yet have the look.

When your really ready you'll get to it, no one else can persuade you. It has to be you
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Jumping into Insanity sounds like a plan to possibly fail, unless you are already used to vigorous exercise.

30 day shred or ripped in 30 are great DVDs to start with. I know we all sound like we are on Jillian Michaels' payroll but the videos are great and they are less than 30 min. You're done before you realize you've been working out for 25 min! Plus you can go at your own pace.

It sucks sometimes, and it's hard. I tell myself multiple times a day "I'm going to the gym tonight" AND at the gym I remind myself to push hard otherwise it's just a waste of time.

What really got me out of the house and exercising at least 30 min a day was my dog. My husband and I adopted a dog that is very energetic and needs to be walked about 3 miles and there's no making excuses there. After walking him for about a year my fitness increased by like 200%. It worked for us. Please be aware that I am not saying go out and get a dog simply to exercise.

Small goals and take things day by day.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Start with small substitutes in your diet, and small additions to exercise. Commit to walking everyday for 20 minutes this week. Up it to 25 next week, etc.

I have to talk myself into exercise all the time!! My mantra that I repeat over and over?

'JUST DO IT!!'

Once I've done it, then I'm done!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    You need to break it down into babysteps, jumping into insanity and thinking of it as a diet is the wrong approach, find an easy exercise to start with walking, bike riding, leslie sansomes walking dvds, etc
    just make yourself exercise for 10 mins a day, usually after 10 mins you will go farther, but if 10 is all you do it is better then what you have been doing, remember you are out lapping the person sitting on the couch.
    dont think of it as a diet if you want a special treat have it just eat smaller portions and fit it into your calorie count find substitutes for the foods you love. I use to eat ice cream everyday...HUGE BOWLS, now I still eat ice cream alot but i buy the ice cream bars and eat no more then 1 a day or go to mcdonalds and get an ice cream cone it is only 150 cals, find new foods that are low cal that you love
    concentrate on 5 lbs at a time dont look at the big picture and give yourself a reward for each 5 lbs I bought myself a new pair of earrings for every 10 lbs
    JUST DO IT....if you eat less then you are now and even going for a short walk it is progress
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Then don't diet... it's not necessary. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself right off the bat, no wonder you can't stay motivated!

Instead of going in fast and hard- why not try slowly like walking, or jogging and then easing your way into other workouts. You have to walk before you run.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said -- the only person who can motivate you is you. You can look at other people's success in order to find that motivation, but it still comes down to you having to decide that it's not an option anymore and that you're going to do it.

This is coming from someone who quit EVERYTHING before finishing. I'd start a program and give up days after. I'd start eating healthy then fall back into my old ways of eating what was good and convenient. I finally broke that cycle because I found workouts that I love and started to feel better when I changed my diet; I've now been working out 6x/week and eating healthy for 6 months.

EXCUSES will get you nowhere, and the only person they hurt is you. Build working out into your schedule and make it non-negotiable. If you don't have to work until noon, wake up and work out in the morning -- not only is that the best time to work out, but it also ensures that you don't have the whole day to come up with excuses.

Yes, it is going to be TOUGH, otherwise everyone would be thin and happy with themselves. You just need to say to yourself, "Self, it's time. There is no other option so here we go." Good luck!
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You need to get yourself ou tof the diet mentality. You don't need a diet. Diets are for those who seek a quick fix. You need a lifestyle change. Rethink your game and come up with a new plan and quit second-guessing yourself.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    206178_379392795463115_722994445_n.jpg
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am working on a 100 lb goal also, for me state of mind is more important than anything else. If you feel like you are punishing yourself , then part of you will always be looking for a way out. I NEED POSITIVE,,, NO diet,,,,, i am counting calories. no exercising,,,, I take a bike ride 3 times a week . Trying out ALL the fruits in the store ,,, finding new favorites. Its not "I am unhappy with my fat/weight" I celebrate each lost LB and I wanna be HAPPY,,, Snoopy dance each time I take pants size to goodwill . I am looking at my goal weight like a trip to Disneyland ,,,,,,, and I can't wait to get there. do yourself a favor ,,, figure out what works for YOU...
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Don't think about doing it. Get your butt up and move! You deserve to be fit and healthy so stop being your worst enemy. You can do it!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Start off by setting small goals for yourself that you think you can accomplish. As you begin to see that you can do this through accomplishing these small goals, you can begin to add more/harder goals for yourself. This is a lifestyle change and most people don't just wake up one morning and completely change their lives.

If you really can't put in the effort to begin this, even by starting with baby steps, I think you need to consider if you actually want to do this or not. It takes effort and it's not easy and it can take a long time to get the results you want. You aren't going to get anywhere by always putting it off for tomorrow.

And don't want for the perfect day to start or until you have everything planned. There is no perfect day to begin or not. Just do it, make mistakes and learn from them.
  • vqnerdballs
    Options
    This is a little more frivolous than what others have suggested but it's worked for me so far - rewarding yourself with something material for each goal might help you focus a little more. For example, once I get halfway to my goal weight I'm going to buy a necklace I really want. As long as you don't reward yourself with food or clothes (you never know what's going to not fit suddenly!) It's also easier if you stick to stuff that's only available at one store or online, because if you see it around you less then you're less likely to be tempted to buy it without earning it.

The Couch to 5K app is also doing wonders for me so far. Any kind of interval training is good because it gives you ample time to break between periods of exertion. I've also been using running as a way to get to know my new neighborhood, so if you live somewhere a little more urban you can turn exercising into a cool exploration of what's around you.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Buy "Eat to Live" and read it all the way through. Then just do it. It works. I can live with it, cook with it, eat well on it, and never go hungry and don't have to work out like a madwoman. 'Nuff said.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey there.

I'm trying to think of something that I find the most motivating and the only thing I can think of is...Me.

I get the most motivated when I remember how good I did or how great I felt or how great something looked on me.

There isn't one thing that helps everyone, everyone has their own little nudge factor. My nudge is Me. Someone else's might be rewards or significant others, or enemies, or friends, etc.

I think you should read all of these replies and try each one that has given some advice and see what works for you.

But I am right there with everyone, when I say, no more excuses. We ALL have a life, we ALL have problems, we ALL have obstacles, etc.

I say the first step is stop thinking of all of the reasons why you can't do it!!! Try thinking of a reason why you can...
    I don't know you and I can give you 3 MFP pages worth of reasons why you can...US!!! We've all done it, are doing it, or trying to do it.

Don't give up.

Frankie
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    When it becomes important to you, you will figure it out. Until then, nothing that any of us say is going to hoist you off the couch, pull your hand out of the doritoes bag and push you out the door. When you reach the point that you just cannot fathom living the rest of your life like this, you will either accept it and go on about your business, not caring if the outfit you just picked out from the dress barn looks good on you, OR, you will put your shoes on, lace them up, go for a run and change your bad habits. You can make excuses all day long. But, I assure you that you are not the first, nor the last, person to have to face those same obstacles. Everyone does it differently. Some work out AT work, some cancel other obligations to make room, some find ways to work it in at home, some change all their eating habits at once, some do it gradually.

The first step, is decide what you REALLY want. To make excuses and stay where you are, wave the white flag and grab some KFC, or stop complaining, and get off your butt.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Start logging your food today, don't even worry about changing the way you eat. Get a good grip on what you're eating. Just seeing it there in black and white, was hugely motivating for me. (Am I REALLY eating 400 g of carbs a day, almost all of which are coming from sweetened drinks??). And then, you will see where to start making the changes. "Hmm, I could shave 100 calories off this meal just by cutting the amount of condiments I use by half. If I use less creamer in my coffee and drink 2 fewer cups a day, I could shave 150 calories off my day, etc."

I have been here for 5 weeks and I'm eating way better today than I did the first couple of weeks. However, I lost 4 pounds the first week and 10 pounds as of last weekend. You have to start at the beginning and just keep putting one foot in front of the other, whether you need to lose 15 pounds or 150.

The food diary is KEY so start doing it! Getting a good sense of calories in foods and comparing that to how hungry you are really does help you make better choices (150 calories-worth of broccoli is going to be a lot more filling than 150 calories of potato chips).