Your choice in dog food?

Options

Replies

• Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Blue Buffalo. My dog is not a puppy any more but still going somewhat strong at the ripe old age of 15.

I usually don't buy dog food brands that you get from super markets.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Eukanuba Large Breed
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I also give my dog blue buffalo.
    I think a good rule of thumb is that the first 5 ingredients are meats and whole foods not fillers or bi products.
    Also, how big of a dog is it? My dog only eats 2 cups per day so the savings on a cheap dog food would not be worth it.
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    I have 4 dogs and as they spend their time trying to eat sheep pooh I feel that to spend money on expensive treats is a waste of time!!!

Seriously, Their diet changes according to their work routine - the spaniels have to be managed very carefully especially when they cover upto 20 miles a day.

I treat them with cooked heart and liver and manage their protein intake through out the year. Look after them - they are the best friends.
    Choose a decent dog food that won't break the bank,
    Shaun
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    We feed our dog Blue Buffalo. It's local (based in CT, where I live now) and produced in the US. Fairly expensive, but worth it. With higher quality food you have much less mess to clean up in the yard.

Definitely stay away from any foods/treats/toys that were made in China--you simply cannot trust the quality.

We have friends who have opted to go with a raw diet for their Mastiff. They are very happy with the results with respect to the dog's health, but I know they spend a decent amount of time (not necessarily money) in preparing this for the dog from scratch.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Sorry I failed to answer the 2nd part of your question. I have Milkbones as treats. I also give my dogs "dental chews". They think it is a treat and it helps clean their teeth and gums.
    And what healthy snacks do you give your dog?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Some cheap crap at walmart, they seem to like it
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    We feed our girl Taste of the Wild, It is 26.99 for a 15 pound bag. When we got her she was such a princess over food. I tried a couple from Petsmart and she really didn't respond well to them. My sister recommended Taste of the Wild and she really took to it quickly. The High Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison seems to be her favorite.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    We have a German Shepherd and a Border Collie and my husband and I do search and rescue with them so we feed them high quality food. We used to feed them Dog Lovers Gold but we are currently feeding them Fromm. Both foods are good and have no bi-products or fillers. Although they are a little pricier (DLG is $50 for a 30 pound bag and Fromm is $60 for a 30 pound bag) they don't need to eat as much of it (our GSD is 95 pounds and he gets 3 cups a day). It also helps in the waste department as well because they poop less (because there are less of the fillers and such). They also both have great coats and both get complimented a lot about how shiny and healthy their coat looks. Because they are working dogs we want to make sure that they are getting the best nutrition possible, however, even if I didn't have a working dog, knowing what I know now, I would still feed my dog the better quality food.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    My golden retriever eats Nature's domain. It is grain free and has salmon n sweet potatoes. No by products or artificial ingredients. Made in USA I think.
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Grain free Blue Buffalo. The greyhound has a very sensitive stomach, we think it's a gluten thing, no troubles on the grain free foods.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Gain puppy and sapling supplemented with barf: fish heads, chicken wings, lamb heart, tripe, cow tongue, liver, mince.

He will then go onto gain 20% greyhound + barf
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My rotttie is on Arden Grange, it costs a bit per bag but over the time it works out to be about £2 a day to feed him on decent snap as you feed a certain amount to the dogs weight.

We found it when our old girl kept getting skin infections ( a common thing in rotties) turns out they are often allergic to wheat and this food doesn't contain it so is safe to feed them.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    table scraps...
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I buy Eukanuba or Science Diet - both were recommended by my Vet..
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I can't really afford to feed my pups the fancy food either, but I will cook them their own special dog food to mix in with the Pedigree/Purina/Whatever we pick that week.

I cook up lean ground beef and mix it with rice and garlic and add that to their food.

You can make your own treats too. There's tons of recipes out there. :D

Just an FYI... garlic is bad for dogs and can cause kidney failure:( So are onions and grapes
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My dog is a high performance dog.... loves to run. I give her Blue Buffalo. I also give her treats like Zuke Power Bones, Blue Buffalo Super Bars and Greenies.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I give tiny biscuits sold in bulk at the pet store for treats, but he doesn't get them often. He's just as happy with a piece of a baby carrot or an ice cube as a treat. I can't get ice out of the freezer without him giving me the puppy dog eye.

I'm sure those biscuits aren't great for him, but if I do an 80/20 rule on myself, he can have some junk food biscuits. :happy:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to give my dog Blue Buffalo. It is very good quality food, however, I can't spend that much. I started giving my puppy Nature's Recipe for puppies because my mother uses it for her very food-sensitive dog and he does well with it. You can't buy it at the grocery store. That's generally how I decided what to feed my dog. If it was at a grocery, then it wasn't good enough for my fur child. My sister works with dogs, she's very knowledgeable, and suggests Natural Balance for a mid priced food that is of good quality.

I ran out of food once when I was out of town for my dog and couldn't find my usual brand so I went with Beneful....mistake! The poor little guy had irregular bowel movements and it was tough for him. Just be choosy in your choice. You wouldn't want someone feeding crap to you.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I feed my dog Wellness Core, expensive, but I guess it is a priority to feed her good food : /