Your choice in dog food?

Options

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Purina Dog Chow

He likes it, of course he also eats poop.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have a Welsh Corgi. That breed tends to get overweight so we exercise her a lot and fed her Eukanuba Weight Control. Our vet said Iams has too much protein in it for her and could cause her to gain.

That sounds kind of backwards. If the vet is the one selling you the Eukanuba Weight Control, I'd do a little independent research.

The vet I worked for sold Science Diet. He thought it was the best food in the entire world. Because that's what the SD reps told him. And so that's what he gave to his own dogs. It was definitely an improvement over Purina or Alpo, so he thought it was great. What was really great for him, though, was that he got the food at wholesale cost and delivered directly to his place of business. And a pretty sweet markup on every bag sold.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    She is a miniature pinscher mix. I really have no idea, she is such an adorable mutt. We got her at the shelter.. So, I did look at the ingredients list and chicken by-product? Animal digest? Wtf, some of those things sound horrible. I wish I had looked at it before I bought a big 16.5 pound bag. It was $12, so I was like great deal! I am going to definitely switch her after that.. Might take a while, though, as she only eats around 2 cups per day! I am too much of a bulk buyer, I think..
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a Welsh Corgi. That breed tends to get overweight so we exercise her a lot and fed her Eukanuba Weight Control. Our vet said Iams has too much protein in it for her and could cause her to gain.

That sounds kind of backwards. If the vet is the one selling you the Eukanuba Weight Control, I'd do a little independent research.

The vet I worked for sold Science Diet. He thought it was the best food in the entire world. Because that's what the SD reps told him. And so that's what he gave to his own dogs. It was definitely an improvement over Purina or Alpo, so he thought it was great. What was really great for him, though, was that he got the food at wholesale cost and delivered directly to his place of business. And a pretty sweet markup on every bag sold.

We don't buy our food from the vet. He sells SD but said others were just as good at places like Petsmart/petco. So we choose Eukanuba. He only told us not to get Iams, Purina, etc because it makes Corgi's gain even if the are "natural or weight control"
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend owns a specialty pet food and supply store. He says Purina, Pedigree, Beneful, and Science Diet are the worst. He sells only the natural stuff like Orijen (his favorite), Acana, Honest Kitchen, Blue Buffalo, EVO, Innova, Wellness, etc. He is a member on MFP. If anyone is interested in messaging him directly about particular dog foods, here you go:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/messages/new/8185836
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm probably even more picky about what I feed my dog than I am about what I feed myself! I feed my dog EVO food and I often give her organic coconut oil, veggies, and homemade treats. Yes, I am that crazy lady! Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for ratings and info on all different brands and types of food.

I am the same way as this poster.

We alternate between Acana Grain Free and EVO for both of our dogs food. I make home made treats and they are also fed some raw foods according to the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) way of eating.

We are a Paleo household and so are our dogs as they are members of our house just like my husband and I.

The better the food quality, the less they poop too and no smells.

Dogs and cats are not meant to eat grains or sawdust.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    She is a miniature pinscher mix. I really have no idea, she is such an adorable mutt. We got her at the shelter.. So, I did look at the ingredients list and chicken by-product? Animal digest? Wtf, some of those things sound horrible. I wish I had looked at it before I bought a big 16.5 pound bag. It was $12, so I was like great deal! I am going to definitely switch her after that.. Might take a while, though, as she only eats around 2 cups per day! I am too much of a bulk buyer, I think..

My .02, buy a small (4 lb bag if you can) bag of one of the more nutritious foods. Mix that in little by little and see how she likes it. If she doesn't pick around it, keep mixing the Purina and then switch to that food. And if the puppy doesn't take to it, either donate that food to a rescue/shelter or keep using it and then try a new food. One of my kittens was on Science Diet when I rescued and the other was on Royal Canin. Integrating a new food slowly is how you are supposed to acclimate them so it's not an overwhelming change. They already go through a lot when they get rescued, it's a huge change.
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Switch her slowly. If you feed her 2 cups daily, give her 1/4 cup of the new food then the rest for a week then 1/2 and so on. It'll help her tummy and help with potty training because switching her all at once will likely result in diarrhea.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Chef Michaels... my dog never seemed to care what I got him, but he goes absolutely ape *kitten* for this stuff like it's crack!
  • snrose
    snrose Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest Purina pro plan.

It has soy and corn in it (which dogs can not digest) as well as a few other not so nice ingredients.
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-pro-plan-dog-food-dry/

Also keep in mind guys.
    The higher quality food, the less you have to feed.
    Royal Canine I was feeding my girl SIX cups a day.
    Innova I am feeding my girl THREE.

So you do save money buying higher quality foods!

this. with higher quality foods you have to feed MUCH less because its not pumped with fillers. its much more nutritionally dense! i try to avoid any foods made by the company diamond with all their recalls they have had lately. right now i am feeding Fromm. i also supplement this with The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw food

these products are made by diamond:

Canidae Pet Food - (canidae is no longer produced at Diamond)
    Costco's Kirkland Signature
    Solid Gold Health Products for Pets
    **** Van Patten's Natural Balance Pet Foods
    Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain (Available only at Costco)
    Taste of the Wild Pet Foods
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
    4Health (Available only at Tractor Supply Company)
    NutraGold Super Premium Holistic Formulas
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    Oh and a lot of rescues come in with the "crap" food because they get food donated to them by those companies or the vet will donate the food. I think part of it is in hopes that you keep feeding the pet their food and help their profits. It does help keep rescue costs down quite a bit as well.
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

The better the food quality, the less they poop too and no smells.

[/quote]

EXACTLY!!!
  • MostlyHealthyMomma
    MostlyHealthyMomma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Merrick Puppy Plate :) She loves it and it's good for her.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Oh and a lot of rescues come in with the "crap" food because they get food donated to them by those companies or the vet will donate the food. I think part of it is in hopes that you keep feeding the pet their food and help their profits. It does help keep rescue costs down quite a bit as well.

I did ask what kind she was being fed so I wouldn't hurt her tummy... They said it was pretty much a different brand every week, depending on what was donated. She hasn't had any problems though, luckily.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm very picky about what my dog eats.. no processed treats, I only give her veggies and fruits as treats. For her regular food I give her Royal Canin.. it's about $40 for the biggest bag and for a 40 lb dog, that lasts us about 2 months. I think that's an excellent price! She has never had a weight problem, and he hair is always shiny and soft. I highly recommend it :)
  • jillybeanruns
    Options

I did ask what kind she was being fed so I wouldn't hurt her tummy... They said it was pretty much a different brand every week, depending on what was donated. She hasn't had any problems though, luckily.

Well that's good to hear! A few months of less nutritious food won't harm her anyways. It's just for long term health (and vet costs) a nutritionally dense food will help so much. It will add life to her years and years to her life! They don't live long enough anyways :)
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My mini poodle is on Royal Canin for poodles. I had her on EVO but it honestly gave her stomach problems that we are still trying to figure out. I know everyone says it's this awesome food but it made my pup yelp when she pooped.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    A patient of mine said that you should feed your dog raw food. Its what they would have eaten in the wild. So for puppies she suggested that you give ground up beef or cut up pieces of chicken. Once they are adult dogs then you can give them half a chicken, bones and everything.

I know this is not for everyone though.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    <-- I've got a picky one. Took a long time to find something she'll eat. Taste of the Wild - the salmon one. Seems to be doing her good, although I would rotate brands occasionally if she'd eat other stuff. Also, raw food - bones quite often, offal, eggs, sardines and table scraps occasionally.
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    When I first got my puppy (2 years ago) We started him on the same food, Puppy Chow. When we switched him to the adult dog food by purina, it all went down hill. The dog chow that they make (green bag?) was the worst. He kept getting sick, and his coat looked horrible. Eventually we took him to the vet and found out he had digestive problems from all the crap that they put in that food.

We switched him to Natural Defense (I think it is primarily Canadian right now) and we have had NO problems, he looks fantastic. The only problem is that it is pretty pricey (30$ for a medium sized bag).

I know cheaper foods are more appealing, but just be careful, you never know what they're doing to your dog's insides!