ALCOHOL

Options

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Use club soda, not tonic.

I'm drinking vanilla vodka and diet root beer right now!
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is my number 1 enemy. I love going out and drinking at weekends. It's been so difficult for me to strictly keep it down to 1 or 2 a night ): Kind of helps that my flatmate doesn't drink either, so at least i'm not the only sober one!
    It's still kind of novel to me to witness club nights with fresh eyes (and actually remember it!).
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This was my biggest hurdle last year. I gained 30 pounds from booze from 2008-2011. I flew a lot for my job and I hate flying so I had 3 cocktails per plane ride + drank with clients + drank at home with husband after we put the kids to bed. All the social activities we did were based around this too, Happy Hour, wine tasting, concert with 4 beers, etc. Now I have a "no booze at home" rule for myself. My husband still drinks every night but I notice he's drinking less (and he lost 20 something pounds just from less drinking and eating my dinners.) My poor liver probably took a beating during those three years and my gut was NOT cute. I don't want to be a total snoozefest so if we go camping, girls night out, wedding, concert, or my husband and I go out, then I will have a drink or two (and now with lower weight and not being used to it, one is all I need.) Even now at my goal, I have to plan for the 2-3 pound weight gain I get the day or two after drinking. I can get it off within a week but it happens every time, even if I am "within" my calories. I do sleep better, am more energetic, and I don't feel like such a wretch in the mornings so it has definitely been worth it to give it (mostly) up. My husband currently has pumpkin beer in the fridge and I had to put some kale on top of it so I don't see it every time i open the fridge. Ha!!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh Hal yeah!!!
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Does anybody else enjoy a beer or three on a hot day? or sometimes over indulge with friends on a weekend??
    I found beer to my my arch enemy when it comes to dieting.
    i am trying a switch to gin and tonic's as my drink of choice.
    anybody enjoy a drinkskie after a hard days work or on a beautiful sunny day??

Of course! But I will save most of my calories for that day for booze and will work out super hard on the day that I want to drink. Voka and sugar free RedBull is my thing, or vodka soda. Cheers!:drinker:
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Most spirits usually have 70cals/shot so I try to mix it up and have vodka with diet sunkist or bourbon with coke zero just to keep it interesting :)

In saying that I do have a weak spot for tia maria and milk which is not low cal
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else enjoy a beer or three on a hot day? or sometimes over indulge with friends on a weekend??
    I found beer to my my arch enemy when it comes to dieting.
    i am trying a switch to gin and tonic's as my drink of choice.
    anybody enjoy a drinkskie after a hard days work or on a beautiful sunny day??

STORY OF MY LIFE!!!!!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I can't stop at 1 or 2 so I don't drink anymore.

I think if you're not a light weight or you drink to get drunk & often then alcohol isn't going to help your diet, too many empty calories.

It took several hundred to get me drunk.

But I think if you're able to be responsible and enjoy alcohol in moderation there is nothing wrong with it, like anything else.

I just can't.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I like wine every other day, moderation is key, but sometimes I just can't stop at 1 or 2, but do I ever pay for it!!!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Use club soda, not tonic.

I'm drinking vanilla vodka and diet root beer right now!

that sounds good i'll have to try it
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Yep, beer is my vice...

What sucks is I play in a cover band and we get free (or discounted) bar tabs. Its hard not to take advantage of that
  • krisann27
    Options
    I am definitely learning that I have to seriously cut back on my wine drinking if I seriously want to lose weight. I'm trying to avoid drinking during the week for now, but then I still have to limit my intake on the weekends.

And it's not really the alcohol I crave, it's sugar! We have beer and red wine here all the time and it doesn't tempt me--but a sweet white wine or a fruity vodka drink turns into 2 or 3 or more . . . and then I start noshing on whatever I can find in the pantry.

It occurred to me that I don't have cookies or other sweet treats in the house because I know I can't limit myself to a normal serving . . . and that's been my practice for years. I'm realizing I can't have the sweet wine or vodka in the house either for that reason. :/
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've never really been an alcohol drinker, having lost a very good friend to a drunk driver in junior high school, and being struck by one myself in 6th grade. However, as an adult now I do enjoy a single drink once in a while and will drink a rum and diet coke at home while enjoying popcorn and watching a movie. I might indulge in a glass of wine when out to dinner, but the cost of that makes me cringe, so I tend to avoid doing so. Why pay for a single glass what I can purchase the entire bottle?

Beer has never been an issue with me, as I find it all to taste gross. I agree with the original poster here that if the drinking isn't able to be stopped after 1 or 2, then it is very wise to simply not even start drinking at all. Alcohol has a nasty way of taking away our inhibitions. It does make for some entertaining TV shows, though, when an over-imbiber is videotaped being arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct. :-D
  • sweetpeas2000
    sweetpeas2000 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    on the days i drink its called cheat day.lol

Malibu and pineapple juice! <3 yumm!

This is a favorite of mine, too. I also highly enjoy mojitos.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think that is probably my biggest hurdle. I have switched to the 74 calorie margarita recipe that someone posted here. Still trying to tweak the amount of the ingredients for the best taste. It's a pretty simple recipe....

Too much alcohol will make you fat or keep you from losing but you can enjoy a little buzz in moderation if you plan it right. Here are my favorite recipes. They aren't exactly like the genuine article but they are quite refreshing, IMO because of the carbonation.

Margarita - 71 cals
    Sodastream Diet Lemon-lime (7-up) or Fountain Mist (like mountain dew) 2 cals
    1.0 ounces of tequila 69 cals

Eyeopener - 72 cals
    Sodastream Diet Energy (Red Bull) 0 cals
    1.5 oz Voli vodka 72 cals

Vojay - 74 cals
    Sodastream Diet Orange 2 cals
    1.5 oz Voi vodka 72 cals

Cape Cod - 74 cals
    Sodastream Diet Cran-Raspberry - 2 cals
    1.5 oz Voli vodka - 72 cals

(Put in lemon and/or orange flavor to make a Screwdriver)

I like using Sodastream flavors because they contain Splenda instead of aspartame. (I wish they used Stevia instead.)

Bottoms up! :drinker:
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    you can get diet tonic

A vodka diet tonic witha lime twist for please
  • MMFP68
    MMFP68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's not the most flavorful beer I've ever had, but I enjoy Bud Select 55 (55 cal./12 oz) and because the alcohol content by volume is slightly less than 3%, I can drink 3 or 4 of them. :)
  • Elleacive
    Options
    Is alcohol so bad if you log it and keep your calories within range?

[pondering if I need to cut all alcohol from my diet]
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of wine or three, in the evening. I do not post it. but It doesnt seem to affect anything at this point. I spent a week drinking and partying. Eatting lots of raw veggies and grilled meat. I weighed when I got home a week later and had not gained an ounce. My friend did say I put away 14 bottles of home made wine.... whaaaa. He had 150 to start with. lol (anyone who disagrees with my drinking, keep it to yourself. I dont give a crap)
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Beer is my downfall...and the main reason the bulge began to creep over the belt, but finally provided the motivation to get things under control. I'm trying to switch to rum and diet coke. Rum has about 60 cal per ounce.