Girls.. tips to lose weight the week before your period ?

Options
Hi !
I been logging/watching what I eat for 1 month now, I had started just before I had my period so here they are again ! ugghh..
Do you have tips to lose weight even on that dreadful week ?
Tomorrow is weigh-in and I dont think the numbers will be that great :/
Thanx !

Replies

• mcouturezz
    Options
    ttt
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    Just keep doing what you've been doing. We all get cravings during that time, and it's ok to have a little bit. Just try to fit it into your daily numbers and you should be fine. And don't worry about the scale...it's normal for your weight to fluctuate a few pounds, especially the week before/week of.
  • fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I make sure I exercise as usual and I increase my water intake. I tend to retain a lot of water during this time. Most months I end up maintaining my weight or losing a bit. I am also very careful to watch my salt intake as well and stay away from the sweets. Gala apples have satisfied my need for crunchy and sweet foods!
  • amwalcott
    amwalcott Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been logging religiously for the past 4 months and its evened out to about 2 pounds a week. The week of my period I usually only lose .5-1 pound, but the next week I have a big loss. Usually around 4 pounds. I figure its just hormones and water retention and just keep logging. If I come to a point where I don't have a big loss the week after, then I'll make sure that I'm logging accurately.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I tend to eat the cabinet doors off of the cupboards and gnaw on my arm the week before. My only tip is to CONTINUE TO LOG EVERYTHING.
    Know that the following week will be better.
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    Drink loads of water and avoid salt completely. Water flushes you out and gets rid of your water weight and salt makes you retain it.
    If you absolutely need a junk food fix whilst on your period, have something sweet! (I usually go for marshmallows cause they are low in fat and so sweet that you only want one or two)
    Savoury snacks will make you feel worse!

:)
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You might want to lose a little more than usual the week before your period. A few days to the day your period starts, your weight goes up 5 pounds on the scales. It reverses a couple of days before you finish, and then goes up 2 or 3, then goes normal. It's nothing to worry about, it's just water weight from where you're shedding the lining. Or if you want to get technical, where you're bleeding out. I know, it's disgusting and all, but it's the way life is. You also get a little stiff in the "twins", back, and we all know about the cramps no woman wants. If the stiff back is too much, take a Robax (or the drugstore equivalent), and the acetemenaphen in that might help the rest of the body. I wish you good luck on your next run-in with "Aunt Flow"!!! :flowerforyou:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Watch your salt and carb intake when you're expecting your friend. It should help with the water retention you're experiencing.

...and Yoga. If you can find some time to do some hot yoga (or just regular yoga in a pinch) it will help loosen up your cramping.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    EXTRA WATER!!! =)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Skip the weight in. It'll just mess with your head.
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    [/quote

I hop on the scale every morning after I get up (and pee).. I cant possibly skip weigh-in lollll
    Tough love :)
  • ukcatnip
    Options
    I've been doing this since the first of July and what I realized very quickly was to just not weigh myself that week. Example, I weigh in every Saturday morning when I first get up. However the Saturday of my period? No ma'am. I make sure I log everything I eat, I stay within my calories but my water retention is insane during my cycle. So yeah my thing is just stay on the good path but the scale can wait a week.
  • nutandbutter
    Options

I agree. Otherwise just realize that week, you will weigh more. I've gone up 6 lbs in 2 days and dropped it in another couple of days. Gotta love the bloat, right?

Here's some good articles:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/impact-of-the-menstrual-cycle-on-determinants-of-energy-intake-reseach-review.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adjusting-the-diet.html
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Drink loads more water and stay with regular exercise program even though I feel like crap.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a year and have the same issue with weight gain for 2 weeks of the month, the week before and the week of. I agree with the PP who noted a significant loss the week after but sometimes it gets so discouraging seeing the numbers go up (sometimes up 4 pounds) that I get off track and frustrated.

I like the suggestion to skip that week's weigh in. I would also stay away from artificial sweeteners. I swear they make me retain water.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it, try to have healthy snack options if you have extra cravings.
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-4 pounds of water retention during my cycle then when it's over I'm normal again.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the cabinet doors off of the cupboards and gnaw on my arm the week before. My only tip is to CONTINUE TO LOG EVERYTHING.
    Know that the following week will be better.

:laugh: I can totally relate! just keep logging and exercising... stay hydrated!
  • garzapat1005
    garzapat1005 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I still do get on the scale and yes, it upsets me and makes me feel really bad, if you can avoid do so! But I gain anywhere from 5-10 lbs at that time of the month (sad face!)
  • Maxine00
    Options

Oh yes I know what you're talking about!