does water really make a difference?

Options
Let me start by saying --- I am not a good water drinker. I like it just fine, I just have a hard time getting my 8 glasses (10 glasses depending on who you ask). I am trying to drink more as I read that it makes a difference in fat loss, especially if lifting weights.

Do you think this is true? Anyone out there gone from drinking very little to much more and experienced a shift, physically speaking? Is it worth it?

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Let me start by saying --- I am not a good water drinker. I like it just fine, I just have a hard time getting my 8 glasses (10 glasses depending on who you ask). I am trying to drink more as I read that it makes a difference in fat loss, especially if lifting weights.

Do you think this is true? Anyone out there gone from drinking very little to much more and experienced a shift, physically speaking? Is it worth it?

Oh yes. Water is so important. It keeps you hydrated, and helps your major organ systems, like digestion. Your body needs enough water in order to function. It flushes out toxins. The easiest way for me to get my water is to carry a 32oz reusable bottle that I fill at least once a day, usually twice.

I don't always need 64oz a day. Sometimes I only need 40 before I'm running to the bathroom every 20 mins, other times I can't get enough and consume closer to 100oz in a day. I listen to my body, and I know I feel sooo much better when I am hydrated.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,989 Member
    Options
    Learn to love your water. It's really important. Helps you eat less, keeps your metabolism purring.
  • ciobair
    Options

I feel you, I'm not a great water drinker either.

I know it's supposed to be good for us and I do diligently try to drink more now that I ever did.
    The only shift I've experienced is the greatly increased number of trips to the bathroom.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I understand all of the positive reasons for drinking water based on what i have read (and what doctors say). I'm just wondering if anyone can speak from personal experience. Changes in your own body when drinking 8+ glasses, like greater weight loss or clearer skin or something like that?
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I understand all of the positive reasons for drinking water based on what i have read (and what doctors say). I'm just wondering if anyone can speak from personal experience. Changes in your own body when drinking 8+ glasses, like greater weight loss or clearer skin or something like that?

Yes. I went from drinking zero glasses a day to now I always have a minimum of 8 but usually I'm closer to 12 sometimes even a gallon. My hair and nails are both healthier. My pee is no longer dark and I have a ton more energy than I used to.

I hated water in the beginning. I had to start off by adding lemon to it. You really do get used to it. I crave water now.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    So far, I haven't seen anyone cite any medical evidence to support that we all need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I actually read in the book Bottlemania that the recommendation about the 8 glasses was started by water bottling companies trying to sell us more bottled water. Of course, we should stay well-hydrated, but most people get plenty of hydration in their food as well as from normal water intake. Let thirst be your guide.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking basically no water to actually requiring a constant intake of water. I don,t feel right if I don't have my glass nearby. Of course it also means I have to pee more often, but I can deal. I eat a lot less than I used to. Working out is so much more pleasant (as far as that goes, anyway) when well hydrated, too. AND since I'm always with water or tea, I drink a lot less soda and have basically eliminated fruit juices from my diet :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

fewer kidney stones? My urologist swears that I *shouldn't* get another one now that I am not chronically dehydrated.

Now that you mentioned it, I haven't had as many breakouts around TOM since I have been drinking lots ( 12+ cups a day) of water on a regular basis.
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    YES water is good for you. It's good for fatloss and overall health.

I just have a question?

Why do "most" white people doesn't like drinking water? I'm speaking based on experience here. I'm just wondering because it's water right? What's wrong with plain water, why do they always have to put some flavor or enhancers to it just to be able to drink it? Because from where I'm from (Asia) drinking water is like breathing, you don't have to ask on how or why you do it. It's an instinct to drink water. :D
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

What I've noticed is reduced cravings since I make a point of drinking at least 8 glasses a day. It doesn't take away hunger pains for more than a few minutes, but it does lessen them and I don't find myself having intense cravings for certain foods if I stay hydrated.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    my water intake makes a huge difference for me. i usually drink a gallon a day, give or take a cup or two. i pee clear almost all the time. once it gets darker, i know i gotta up my water. it has made a big difference in my week to week weight loss too. i am at a point where i don't really need to count my glasses anymore, my body can just tell if it needs more or if it has had enough.

if you struggle getting enough in, try room temperature water. i almost never have cold water. i find room temperature is easier to drink, and certainly easier to gulp when i am trying to finish a glass before leaving the table or something similar.

i never did flavor enhancers or anything like that, but i know a lot of people here have, so you might want to try those too.

good luck!
  • BrittanyKxo
    Options
    My experience is that when I went from drinking 8-10 cups a day, down to about 4-6 and my weight was fluctuating more than usual. I started a week long water challenge to get the 8-10 in again, and I started to lose again after the 2nd day.
  • oramos76
    oramos76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yes water makes a difference helps get rid of excess sodium, hydration, the body is mostly made up of water, and drinking cold water helps boost metabolism which helps burn extra calories helped me alot so yess water makes a difference and is the bomb!
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes, water helps. I used to drink very little of anything... water, milk, soda, you name it. There are two big differences I've noticed since shooting to drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water per day...

1) I started MFP in late June. I never used to be thirsty. Now that I regularly drink water, I actually feel thirsty. Perhaps I was identifying thirst as hunger before this change.

2) If I eat out at all, water helps flush out all of the sodium in those foods. If I don't drink extra water after having meals out, than my body holds onto the sodium and the weight. But, if I make sure to drink more than the usual 8 glasses, than my normal weight loss isn't affected too much.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My question is: Is there a certain time of day that you should stop drinking water?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    YES water is good for you. It's good for fatloss and overall health.

I just have a question?

Why do "most" white people doesn't like drinking water? I'm speaking based on experience here. I'm just wondering because it's water right? What's wrong with plain water, why do they always have to put some flavor or enhancers to it just to be able to drink it? Because from where I'm from (Asia) drinking water is like breathing, you don't have to ask on how or why you do it. It's an instinct to drink water. :D

It just seems like that on here. Plenty of us drink water.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    A while back the rule of thumb was "8 by 8" or drink 8 cups or 8 oz containers of liquid other than coffee (because its a diuretic).
    The Mayo Clinic says now that as long as you drink enough water that your urine is clear and very light in colour, you're likely getting enough water or liquids to keep your body adequately hydrated.
  • gatorento
    gatorento Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My question is: Is there a certain time of day that you should stop drinking water?

I usually try to stop drinking water 1-2 hours before bed, so that I don't wake up during the night.
  • lu136mickey
    Options
    yes
  • Shayleah05
    Shayleah05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me personally when i drink water i feel more energized and all around better. I also sleep better. Water is a wonderful thing but i have to force myself to drink it but its well worth it.