Confused... I'm trading addictions?

Options
justjenn1977
justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
So this lady I used to go to church with several years ago (that I haven't seen in person in about two years) who happens to be my friend on facebook sent me this message... We haven't spoken in a while...

Hi Jenn, Congratulations on your weight loss, you look great. I just want to remind you not to trade one addiction for another; but to do all things in moderation. Addictions are simply not healthy in the long run. Keep up the good work! Blessings, K

I'm confused... I don't have any idea why she would send me this message... I don't go to the gym every day (I'm lucky to get there twice a week... )... I haven't lost weight too rapidly... (it has taken me 8 years to lose this much... I take frequent mental health breaks and maintain...)

How am I trading addictions?

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You're not. Ignore her and drive on.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of asking her? Maybe she misunderstands what you're doing? It doesn't sound like you're doing anything in an unhealthy manner at all. Surely you can ask her. If she feels it important enough to send you the message, she should be ok with clarifying it.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I did ask... Haven't gotten a reply yet...
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that she means going from a food addiction to a dieting addiction.

Please don't let other people projecting their insecurities about weight onto you hinder your path to better health. Congrats on your weight loss :)
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    She sounds passive-aggressive. Maybe she doesn't like you losing weight.
  • cfmay
    cfmay Posts: 19
    Options
    Some people just have to put their "two cents" worth of advice in. She seems to have made the assumption your now addicted to being healthy. Sorry...if that's an addiction, there are WAY worse out there. I get her point that she was trying to make, ie: some people stop smoking only to pick up eating candy..
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that she means going from a food addiction to a dieting addiction.

Please don't let other people projecting their insecurities about weight onto you hinder your path to better health. Congrats on your weight loss :)

I agree. Either she's jealous or she's noticed a lot of posts on facebook where you are talking about what you are doing and it seems to her that you are overdoing it. If she doesn't respond to your question, I'd just ignore her. I'd be interested to hear her response if she does, but don't let her get you down. Your description of your journey sounds very reasonable and healthy.
  • cfmay
    cfmay Posts: 19
    Options

I THINK THIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT!
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    There is a tendency these days to label every bad behavior as addiction. Some folks seek ways avoid taking personal responsibility for their actions. Popular psychologists are more then happy to oblige. Perverts are now sex addicts. Gluttons are addicted to food. Gimme a break! As General Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf once said, "That is what the troops call bovine scatology".

What you are doing my friend, is replacing bad habits with good habits. IMHO, your friend may be projecting her rationalizations for her bad behavior on to you.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    Options
    Id rather be addicted to being healthy then not :/...Id say your trading up
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Some people just feel the need to comment on things that are none of their business.
  • ScorpionReaver
    Options
    You should point out to "K" that she's obviously addicted to getting into other people's business...and Facebook...she's addicted to getting into other people's business on Facebook!
    That's a terrible one :o

You're looking great, btw

Reason for edit: Initially left out a quotation mark, D'oh!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Oohhh. Bad.
    Not true!
    It takes intensity and determination to make a change like this.
    Her bad!
    Yes, I'd put that one out of my mind, if it were said to me...yuck.
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Coming from a person who is married to an addict (not saying you are but sounds like she is around someone that is) she is probably just trying to bring up a concern out of love for you and your health. But if you are doing everything right which it seems you are!!! Just kindly tell her thank you for her concern but you are losing the weight in a healthy way not overly doing it.
  • MrEyeCandy
    Options
    Just saying......sounds rather religious not a spiritual comment. Does she believe our bodies are a temple? Shouldn't we take care of our 'temple'? Keep up the good work; you appear to be on the right track.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Yep!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    "That is what the troops call bovine scatology."

Ok, that's probably the best thing I've read in DAYS!

And, it's exactly right --- her messge to you is almost verbatum what my step-mother has said to me (more than once). The worst of it with my step-mother is: she'll pray about it after the fact (never before, mind you) and come apologize to me. We've gone round and round and I just ignore her now.
  • busymomma97
    busymomma97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Maybe she thought you were addicted to facebook, as some people truly are, and is now assuming that you will become addicted to this website..as I am!!:smile: Either way, it's not here place to judge or condemn. Welcome to the site, I LOVE it..and yes sometimes I do think I am a bit addicted to the site..but hey, if it helps me on my healthy lifestyle and keeps me motivated then it's a good addiction. People often think addictions are always bad, and that's not always the case. Good luck along your journey!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No idea what your lady friend meant. but i will freely admit i traded my addiction to food for an addiction to fitness. And i don't see anything wrong with that.
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    She actually sounds like someone that is trying to bring you down. Makes no sense to just send something out of the blue like that if she wasn't. Ignore her and move on.