Ever experienced appetite loss after exercise?

Options
I Zumba from 7.00p.m. to 8.00p.m. That's the time the instructor does classes, so there's no way to change that.

I usually get pretty hungry, but after exercising I don't feel hungry at all. I just eat fruit for dinner.

I am not complaining:D! I actually feel great!

But I'm wondering about the WHYs of this. Any logical reasoning? I thought I'd be starved after a strenuous hour of Zumba!

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I don't know the reason for it, but the same thing happens to me! The days I do cardio, I've frequently been doing a step aerobics DVD for about 30 minutes that leaves me gasping for breath and soaked in sweat LOL. Don't have an HRM but supposedly I am burning about 400 cals in that 30 minutes. I am not hungry for hours, if at all. Since I do it at night, it's HARD to eat back those calories so lately, I haven't been.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I also don't have any appetite after an hour of strenuous cardio. I wait until my hunger returns to eat, but I exercise earlier in the day than you do.
  • FootballManaic
    Options
    I feel so hungry after a workout!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Don't eat fruit past 4 p.m.

My trainer (who's also a nutritionist) said that it's harder for your body to burn off the sugar from a piece of fruit, later in the day....than it is to burn it off from a piece of bread.
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    same for me, apart from my protein shake after strength training I cannot indulge anything for hours.. or rather, I just don't feel like I could do ot
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    All the time, especially after practice. Sometimes anything more than my chocolate milk or Gatorade after is just too much on my stomach.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

My trainer (who's also a nutritionist) said that it's harder for your body to burn off the sugar from a piece of fruit, later in the day....than it is to burn it off from a piece of bread.

That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I'd get a new trainer/nutritionist
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Me too - I was just talking about this on my wall yesterday - sometimes my calories are really low when I have done exercise in the early evening, because I really don't want to eat for hours afterwards - and I am not a late night snacker at all - so if I haven't eaten by 7.00 ish in the evening I don't eat - but someone suggested that if my calories are really low I should drink a protien shake which seems a good idea.
  • 21June
    Options
    This has happened to me too, not all the time though and I have days when I generally feel hungrier than others (nothing to do with exercise I don't think), LOL. :smile:
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started working out in the evenings because we used to mindlessly eat in the evenings . We find we don't feel like eating after working out.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    when I do cardio exercises it suppresses my appetite but if I'm weight lifting I am hungry afterwards
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Sometimes after an intense workout, I often feel like puking. But shortly after that, I want to eat everything in sight. That's as much of an appetite loss I experience after a workout.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Always!!! Usually I can't eat for 3-4 hours after a workout. There must be something scientific to that, some chemical being released or something. It is a true appetite depressant for me!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    It does'nt affect me one way or the other. I never eat right after a workout but within an hour or so I can always eat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Sorry but this is a bunch of cr*pola. You should fire your alleged nutritionist.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite after any activity. Always.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I am never hungry after exercising. I run almost daily and it is all I can do to get my calories in sometimes because I am just simply not hungry. I would love to know why this is (but I am not complaining) lol
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Don't take nutrition advice from your trainer. Anyone can call themselves a 'nutritionist'. Seek nutrition advice from a 'Registered Dietician'.

Your trainer is wrong about your body not being able to burn off the calories later on in the day juxtaposed to earlier on in the day.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    After my morning work out (1+ hour running on treadmill and 1 hour water aerobics 900-1000cals) I have such a high, endorphins I'm guessing, that I don't feel like eating right away, but give me an hour and I want/need my food to keep me fueled!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The reason for the loss of appetite is due to a hormone that is released due to exercise - peptide YY.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/296/1/R29.full