Ever experienced appetite loss after exercise?

Options

Replies

• med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    whenever i do a 2 hr crazy cardio work out or even when i go heavy swimming for hour and a half i can never eat anything for a good 3 hours or more otherwise i will throw up. it happened plenty of times to me before.. when i ate like 30 min after working out haha so just lots of water and maybe a smoothie or something but thats about it
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. On the days I don't exercise at all, I feel like I can eat an elephant. Some people have the opposite issue, feeling famished after exercise.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I find that I don't need to eat all the exercise calories that day but I do the following day when I'm famished but back to basic calorie allowance.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I generally don't feel hungry after exercise either for a few hours. You could always 'roll' over the calories you can't eat to your rest day, eating more on the rest day. It all levels out.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yep. I work out in the evening and sometimes do not have an appetite for dinner. I try to eat something, though.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I noticed that looking at the phone app. Running days, lower cals, next day, higher cals...looks funny!
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I find that I don't need to eat all the exercise calories that day but I do the following day when I'm famished but back to basic calorie allowance.

ha snap
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I'm thirsty as hell. I want icy cold water, too, which is not a fun thing to gulp down.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :happy: Exercise ~ Regardless of Type , Length of Workout, Intensity, or Time Of Day ~ Is BETTER than ANY Appetite Suppresant than I have EVER tried!! If I don't do SOMETHING - even just a Walk around the Neighborhood - I cannot stop Eating!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you do HIIT then it affect your appetite because of the hormones HIIT stimulates.
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    sometimes when i get hungry between meals...I will go exercise...because I find it squashes my appetite.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I agree. Right after work, I'm just thirsty... it takes at least an hour for me to actually want to eat something.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    sometimes when i get hungry between meals...I will go exercise...because I find it squashes my appetite.

I was doing that in the beginning and losing a lot of weight that way. Thank you for posting that because I really need to get back to doing that again! I get super hungry at night and my treadmill is right there in the dining room. I think I'll jump on it just before supper time to squash my appetite down again.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I'm not typically hungry anyway -- part of my "problem" was just eating once a day... but I am really not hungry after most workouts. I try to usually have a protein shake, as I need to get more calories in and want the benefits of the protein... but, if I hadn't found such tasty recipes? I don't think that I would be able to get those in! Ha!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I find that after a day where I burn more than 1500 calories i am not hungry but the next day I am MORE than FAMISHED!
  • Jac118
    Options
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was because, during exercise, your body is diverting its energy away from digestion and towards getting your muscles enough oxygen (increasing blood flow to the muscles and away from the stomach). The "hunger" feeling is your body telling you "okay, i'm ready to eat," but if your body is not focusing on digestion, then you aren't going to feel hungry

In terms of evolution - if you were running away from a threat (ie flight or fight response), I don't think your brain is going to tell you to stop running and grab some froyo. lol

I sort of remember learning about this in my evolution of nutrition class back in college but that was 5 years ago and obviously the human body is very complicated and there are hormones involved too -- so feel free to chime in!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was because, during exercise, your body is diverting its energy away from digestion and towards getting your muscles enough oxygen (increasing blood flow to the muscles and away from the stomach). The "hunger" feeling is your body telling you "okay, i'm ready to eat," but if your body is not focusing on digestion, then you aren't going to feel hungry

In terms of evolution - if you were running away from a threat (ie flight or fight response), I don't think your brain is going to tell you to stop running and grab some froyo. lol

I sort of remember learning about this in my evolution of nutrition class back in college but that was 5 years ago and obviously the human body is very complicated and there are hormones involved too -- so feel free to chime in!

I already responded on the last page - its the hormone peptide YY that gets triggered during exercise, which is basically an appetite supressant.
  • Jac118
    Options

I already responded on the last page - its the hormone peptide YY that gets triggered during exercise, which is basically an appetite supressant.

Yes I understand that - but *why* does our body release peptide YY during exercise. I think its because eating would divert blood to flow to the stomach/digestive tract instead of the muscles and its so your body suppresses appetite to prevent that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes I understand that - but *why* does our body release peptide YY during exercise. I think its because eating would divert blood to flow to the stomach/digestive tract instead of the muscles and its so your body suppresses appetite to prevent that.

I was just pointing out that it is this hormone because your last paragraph indicated you were not sure and did not know which one.

The study I quoted concludes as follows:

"Previous studies have shown that aerobic exercise can cause a transient suppression of appetite that lasts from several hours to two or more days. The mechanism for this effect is unknown, and the effects of resistance exercise on appetite are uncertain. The present findings confirm a transient (1 to 2 h) suppression of appetite during and after aerobic and resistance exercise. The findings suggest that ghrelin may mediate this suppression for both forms of exercise. There was an elevation in PYY during and after aerobic exercise, and this may possibly contribute to appetite suppression. Further research is required to determine how long exercise-induced changes in gut hormones persist and whether the changes have any effect on energy intake. A better understanding of the role of exercise in appetite regulation may lead to a more effective prescription of exercise for weight control. "

I have not looked into the reasons for why any further but this seems to indicate the exact reason is not clear - but maybe there is a clearer explanation somewhere else.
  • Jac118
    Options
    Yea woops sorry - didn't mean to argue - was just looking for an overall reason (based on evolution) for the hormonal change. I used to be a scientist - can't ever be satisfied without a reason haha

I found some hypotheses in the literature that basically say the same thing - that we suppress appetite to divert blood flow away from the stomach, but most papers are more concerned with how we can manipulate Peptide YY to make drugs for weight loss. Oh well!

Thanks for getting my mind running again!