tilapia!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• chellebelle315
    Options
    Best thing, IMHO, to do with tilapia is make Ceviche with it....I hate the texture of it cooked in the oven.....and its simple to make

6-8 oz of tilapia
    1/2 cup diced red pepper
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 small jalapeno or serrano pepper....to taste (this is optional if you don't want any heat....add as much as you like for as much spice as you like.)
    2 tbsp chopped cilantro
    juice from 2-3 limes (about 1/4-1/2 cup depending on how much fish you're using....think it doesn't have to cover the fish but coat it thoroughly.
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste.

chop fish into small pieces, combine with veggies, cilantro and lime juice. Cover and refridgerate for at least 3 hours (this is a good make ahead.) stir(or shake in a sealed container) mixture occasionally. Before serving add olive oil, salt and pepper *do not salt until right before serving!!!*

I like this by itself like a salad, or with some dark greens. Its also amazing with water crackers or baked tortilla chips.

Please note: If you've never eaten ceviche, don't freak out, give this a try. The acid in the lime juice actually cooks the fish completely. The texture is exactly the same as if you had perfectly baked or broiled your fish, with out being mushy.
  • thecheese
    thecheese Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    To use leftover tilapia I put it in a whole wheat pita and add a tbsp of fat free greek yogurt seasoned with cajun spice or any spice you enjoy. This gives the impression of adding mayo but without the fat and then add let tomato sprouts whatever you like on a sandwich. Delicious!
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    MY FAV!!!

I've never tried using Lemon Pepper, I guess I will implement that soon.:smile:

I usually do Garlic Salt and Mrs Dash Table Blend, broil or bake it in a little butter (???)...its great!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I made fish tacos last night and they were rocking! My hubby never had them before and he loves them now. I bought 3 pieces of Tilapia, seasoned with a lttle mrs. dash herb and garlic, sauteed them in a skillet. while they were cooking, i took about 1/4 cup of salsa and added about 1 tsp Thai red curry paste and let it simmer. when i flipped the fish, i divided the salsa mixture between the three pieces, just on top. I found ortego hard taco shells that you can have two for only 120 calories. I nuked 4 of them for about 30 seconds. In the bottom i put a little lettuce stolen from my salad bowl, then some chopped red onion and two slivers of tomato, then split 4 oz of fish between the two tacos. It was only 248 calories. I also made a salad with 2 tbsp of Bolthouse dressing so my total meal was 338. Gotta love it. Christine
  • Solandra
    Options
    I always see the bags of frozen tilapia at the store. Do they taste just as good as the fresh filets? Close enough??
    i buy the frozen ones they do taste good .... this is the only fish that i will eat so that must say something LOL
    I actually cook them virtually straight from the freezer. I heat my cast iron skillet to 375, while it's heating I take the tilapia, frozen, out of the bag. I rinse off the frost and sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning or garlic and pepper, pull the skillet out of the oven, put the fish in, back into the oven and whammo, 14-17 minutes later, it's perfect.

As a note, in general I don't like fish that isn't Gorton's fish sticks. I love me some tilapia, though, and made it Monday with the roast brussels sprouts recipe from allrecipes.com and baked potatoes.
  • melissahager
    Options
    I tried a Weight Watchers recipe a while back that was delicious.

Spread spicy mustard on top of the filet.
    In a ziploc make a mixture of whole wheat ritz crackers and melted butter (I used a VERY small amount of butter... it is used to keep the crackers together).
    Sprinkle mixture on top and bake in the oven.