bmi mistake???

Options
I'm 21 5'6 weight 164 and wear a size 8 (probably would wear a 6 but i have a big behind) I think i look pretty average with with maybe 5 extra lbs on me. so why does my bmi tell me im over weight? i dont even get "in danger of being over weight" just plain over weight. i dont have big boobs but i am very much so an hour glass figure and not very muscular.

Replies

• swthrtsmrf
    Options
    Have you tried other BMI calculators besides just the one on here? Sometimes they can very in numbers and opininons. Your BMI though does not have anything to do with what size clothes you wear.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Are you using metric measurements on the right BMI calculator settings?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't take into account bone structure or muscle, according to BMI a well-muscled athlete is overweight.

I would change to looking at your body fat percentage, not your BMI.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 5'6 weight 164 and wear a size 8 (probably would wear a 6 but i have a big behind) I think i look pretty average with with maybe 5 extra lbs on me. so why does my bmi tell me im over weight? i dont even get "in danger of being over weight" just plain over weight. i dont have big boobs but i am very much so an hour glass figure and not very muscular.

Because you are carrying 20-30 lbs of extra fat on you. That is why. Not to sound rude. But if you're happy with what you weigh, be happy. Its just a number.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, weigh 136.6lb and my BMI is 23.4 if that helps. I wear a UK size 12 (from H&M at least) so clothing size doesn't always determine healthy weight.
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly taller (5'7") and weigh about 161 and my bmi comes up as "overweight" too. BMI is one indicator of fitness, but really isn't the best indicator. It doesn't take into account frame size, amount of lean body mass, etc. My husband is 6' and 196 and very muscular and his BMI is considered "overweight" as well, even though he's quite fit. If you can, try to have your body fat percentage checked at your gym. That's a much better indicator of overall fitness.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Because according to the BMI scale you should weigh 136lbs or around 136lbs.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the BMI is bull. There has been way too much emphasis on BMI, and not enough on overall health. You sound like you actually like your body, except for the 5 pounds you want to lose, so don't let some stupid calculator make you feel bad about yourself. Focus on total health, pay attention to what you eat, and lift some weights. Love yourself, and lock that evil calculator in a deep, dark closet somewhere and never let it out again!
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Because you are carrying 20-30 lbs of extra fat on you. That is why. Not to sound rude. But if you're happy with what you weigh, be happy. Its just a number.

Really? You didn't mean to sound rude?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I should think you are carrying quite a bit of fat in those curves, TBH. But BMI isn't much more than a general guide - maybe you'd do better to concentrate on toning and getting fit and healthy if you're more or less happy with yourself otherwise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Focus on body fat not BMI as it does not take into account body composition.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Try calculating your body fat percentage. For myself, even if I lose a pound or two of lean mass, my goal body fat percentage will still put me at an overweight bmi - having around 132 pounds of fat free mass on a 5'7.5" frame will do that.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

First of all, you ARE rude, whether you meant to sound that way or not.

Second of all, if you knew how much such an offhand comment from a man hurts some women, you would not say such things. It is INCREDIBLY sh*tty of you to say.

Third and most importantly, you are probably WRONG about her being overweight. The BMI calculators are too generic and do not fit all. You don't know this woman or her body and have no freaking right to say such a thing to her because YOU DO NOT KNOW.

You need to watch what the hell you say to women here on this forum. Shame on you.
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    BMI is a joke, it only takes your height and weight into account, it doesn't messure fat weight or muscle weight or anything, you can have too guys that both weight say 200lbs and are the same height, but one guy is fat and the other guy is a bodybuilder, their bmi's will be the same but they look completly different, I don't use bmi, I don't pay much attention to the scale either, I like to use a mirror, as long as I like the way I look, I could care less about how much I weight
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the BMI is bull. There has been way too much emphasis on BMI, and not enough on overall health.

People who understand health and fitness know that the BMI is only a rough measure, although the people who complain about being overweight or obese according to it usually are. People who are knowledgeable look at their weight, body fat percent, measurements, bone structure and other fitness indicators such resting heart rate, BP, etc.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I know it's insulting to have a random calculation call you "overweight" but it is what it is. You know you have weight to lose. It shouldn't matter if that weight bumps your over some "overweight" line. Just do what you need to do to be happy with your body and healthy.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    im the same height and age as you yet im 148lbs- and a size 12-14 UK!! So its confused me. im in the healthy range, yet im bigger? BMI s a strange thing. :S
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    THIS IS IMPORTANT: also you say u have 5lbs to lose yet your Ticker says you have set it to 14 more pounds to lose... Your OP contradicts your settings saying u have "5lbs extra on you" or something along those lines!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

First of all, you ARE rude, whether you meant to sound that way or not.

No, he was straightforward. The denial has to end. Every day here someone complains about the BMI wrongly showing them to be overweight or obese. Unless you are a serious athlete with a great deal of muscle or have an exceptionally heavy skeletal frame the BMI is probably accurate. And at least don't complain about it if you don't even know your body fat percentage.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a teenager who was hurt because her doctor told her that she was morbidly obese (she would have preferred to have been called "fat," go figure). Sorry, that's the term.

It's as if some people want to spend more time angrily reacting to every imagined slight than educating themselves.
  • It's all about how you feel and how you feel about yourself. If your doctor says all your vitals are good, don't worry about it. :-)