bmi mistake???

Options

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    When I was 250 pounds I never thought I could get to, or look healthy at what the BMI calculator has for my height(5'10"). The calculator says I should weigh between 129 and 175. I am now 172 pounds and I am amazed and excited that I made it to the high end of the HEALTHY range.

My point here is: I think the BMI calculator is pretty accurate. I always thought I had a LARGE frame and thought the calculator was BULL CRAP. You know what, it isn't BULL. With my thinking of having a large frame, I NOW fit right into where I belong, the high end of the healthy on the BMI

I was a fat *kitten* for soooooo long, I thought I was SUPPOSED to look a certain way.

Bottom line is: If you are happy, then don't worry about what some calculator says. If you are not happy, then work your *kitten* off to get into the HEALTHY range.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    BMI was conceived in the 1800s. Forget about it - my doctor has never used it in all the time I've been alive. It's very out of date.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are irrelevant. It's well known that manufacturers have been increasing sizes to reflect the growing girth of the general population. They don't want to offend their customers, so the stated size is the same or even smaller, which is how we end up with ridiculous sizes like 00.

People who really want to know how their weight is doing measure themselves and check their body fat percentage in addition to weighing themselves at regular intervals.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 5'6 weight 164 and wear a size 8 (probably would wear a 6 but i have a big behind) I think i look pretty average with with maybe 5 extra lbs on me. so why does my bmi tell me im over weight? i dont even get "in danger of being over weight" just plain over weight. i dont have big boobs but i am very much so an hour glass figure and not very muscular.

Because you are carrying 20-30 lbs of extra fat on you. That is why. Not to sound rude. But if you're happy with what you weigh, be happy. Its just a number.
    First of all, you ARE rude, whether you meant to sound that way or not.

No, he was straightforward. The denial has to end. Every day here someone complains about the BMI wrongly showing them to be overweight or obese. Unless you are a serious athlete with a great deal of muscle or have an exceptionally heavy skeletal frame the BMI is probably accurate. And at least don't complain about it if you don't even know your body fat percentage.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a teenager who was hurt because her doctor told her that she was morbidly obese (she would have preferred to have been called "fat," go figure). Sorry, that's the term.

It's as if some people want to spend more time angrily reacting to every imagined slight than educating themselves.

Well Said. I am also tired of the excuses from everyone. One of my biggest peeves is people asking for advice and then getting angry when someone INSULTS them. Get over it children. If you ask a question, don't be suprised when you get an answer you didn't expect.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Agree! If you don't want the feedback then don't ask the question.Everyone has the right to their opinion and you don't have to agree.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    you are missing something important here: She is HAPPY with her appearance and her weight and does not think she is overweight.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that at 5'6" you could be a healthy BMI at 150 lbs, which is only 15 lbs, not 20-30. So if you do want to change your body, I would make your first goal something higher but still in the healthy range and then see how you feel. However if you feel healthy and happy and strong now just don't worry about it! ETA all bodies are different and not all of us are actually healthy at the low end of the BMI range (well, unless you consider not menstruating healthy- I don't).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 5'6 weight 164 and wear a size 8 (probably would wear a 6 but i have a big behind) I think i look pretty average with with maybe 5 extra lbs on me. so why does my bmi tell me im over weight? i dont even get "in danger of being over weight" just plain over weight. i dont have big boobs but i am very much so an hour glass figure and not very muscular.

Because you are carrying 20-30 lbs of extra fat on you. That is why. Not to sound rude. But if you're happy with what you weigh, be happy. Its just a number.
    First of all, you ARE rude, whether you meant to sound that way or not.

No, he was straightforward. The denial has to end. Every day here someone complains about the BMI wrongly showing them to be overweight or obese. Unless you are a serious athlete with a great deal of muscle or have an exceptionally heavy skeletal frame the BMI is probably accurate. And at least don't complain about it if you don't even know your body fat percentage.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a teenager who was hurt because her doctor told her that she was morbidly obese (she would have preferred to have been called "fat," go figure). Sorry, that's the term.

It's as if some people want to spend more time angrily reacting to every imagined slight than educating themselves.

This.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Really? You didn't mean to sound rude?

Is stating that someone is carrying around 20 extra pounds insulting? Why? Isn't it like saying they have blonde hair or wear glasses? It's not a judgement, it's stating a physical fact about someone.

I understand that people are more sensitive about their weight than about their hair color because being overweight is seen as some kind of a personal failing, but it doesn't have to mean that, and I don't think it should mean that. This is one place where people should be able to talk about weight while checking ego and judgement at the door.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Is stating that someone is carrying around 20 extra pounds insulting? Why? Isn't it like saying they have blonde hair or wear glasses? It's not a judgement, it's stating a physical fact about someone.

I understand that people are more sensitive about their weight than about their hair color because being overweight is seen as some kind of a personal failing, but it doesn't have to mean that, and I don't think it should mean that. This is one place where people should be able to talk about weight while checking ego and judgement at the door.

This.
  • soph120
    Options
    It's not a mistake, that's just your BMI. If you're happy with your weight and your appearance than that's great! Just technically speaking you would be "overweight". Honestly though who cares! If you're happy with yourself that's all that matters
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't take into account bone structure or muscle, according to BMI a well-muscled athlete is overweight.

I would change to looking at your body fat percentage, not your BMI.

/\ /\ /\ /\

This!

BMI is not an indicator of fitness. Mr. Olympia would be considered overweight by BMI numbers.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    OP DOES have at least 20 extra pounds of fat. It's not "rude", it's a statement of fact.
    If you don't want honest answers, don't post on a public forum asking for advice.

If you are HAPPY with your body, then ignore what the BMI chart says and go on with your life. Problem Solved.

If you want to do something about it and become lean and fit, then do it. Problem also solved.

The End.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you were hurt but I don't really see why you take offence to this. I am 5'9 with an athletic build and my goal weight is 160. Right now I am considered overweight and was even obese at one point. I wear a size 8 also.

When we are dealing with the overall size of Americans average doesn't equate to a healthy weight. They are just medical terms no need to take them personally.

I had my last baby at age 37 and my chart was stamped with the label "advanced maternal age". Do I feel old? No. Do some other women choose to have babies in their 40's or 50's? Sure! But medically I was AMA. It is what it is.
  • iso5314
    iso5314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    THe BMI is really wrong way to measure yourself. It only takes your heught & weaght in to consideration.
    EXAMPLE: the BMI will say someone of 1.70m and 80kg Fat is exactly the same as 80kg pure Muscle.
    Don't look at the BMI look at your Fatpercentage!
    (between 10% and 16% for a Men) (Between 20% and 30% for a Women)

Hope this helps ;-)
    (the best way to measure is always the mirror, if you look good with 40% stay like that ^^)
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    THe BMI is really wrong way to measure yourself. It only takes your heught & weaght in to consideration.
    EXAMPLE: the BMI will say someone of 1.70m and 80kg Fat is exactly the same as 80kg pure Muscle.

True, but each of those people know what it making their BMI over. My BMI puts me over
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    BMI is reliable only if you are average or overweight with pretty much no muscle tone, and even then that reliability goes out the window a lot of the time. BMI is an estimation of health, but it falls short when you're very tall, or very fat, or muscular, or very short... basically, take it with a some salt. Go by your bodyfat percentage instead, when you're closer to what you feel is your idea weight.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    BMI is a joke, it only takes your height and weight into account, it doesn't messure fat weight or muscle weight or anything, you can have too guys that both weight say 200lbs and are the same height, but one guy is fat and the other guy is a bodybuilder, their bmi's will be the same but they look completly different, I don't use bmi, I don't pay much attention to the scale either, I like to use a mirror, as long as I like the way I look, I could care less about how much I weight

You are right, but for really obese people like me it is a wake up call and should ring some kind of alarm bell if your BMI is over 30
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are irrelevant. It's well known that manufacturers have been increasing sizes to reflect the growing girth of the general population. They don't want to offend their customers, so the stated size is the same or even smaller, which is how we end up with ridiculous sizes like 00.

I love vintage clothes.

1960 Butterwick pattern for the Jackie O dress.

32" bust 25" Waist 36' Hips = SIZE 12! I have 35" hips and wear a modern size 2. I remember at 18 with tiny 32" hips, weighing 102lbs and still wearing a size 4. Vanity sizing is a complete joke.

So whatever size you currently wear...add 4-6 sizes to get your TRUE size.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    BMI is a bad indicator, but you are a bit overweight. BMI is only a bad indicator for people who have a lot of muscle and/or dense bone. You say you're not muscly and hour glass shaped. Me too. But I'm 4" taller than you, 20 years older, and about the same weight.

Being in the overweight category was a slap in the face for me and one of the things that got me started on this journey. Take it as a challenge. It only took a little while for me to get into the 'average' category. And I hope by Christmas to be back to the weight - and in better shape - than I was at your age.

Don't wait. It only gets harder as you get older.