Gastric Bypass/

Options
Has anyone here had the gastric bypass or knows anyone who had?

Replies

• tlw81
    tlw81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My mom has had it. She lost a lot of weight, but then started gaining it back when she got comfortable and started to eat whatever she wanted. She also began drinking alcohol again. She had to have her pouch resized because she stretched it out so much that it started tearing. Moral of the story: GB is a great tool, but, in my opinion, the person needs to make sure they have their food issues under control first, if any. It should be thought of as an aide and not a solution. JMO
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My neighbour had it done 2 years ago. She lost 120lbs.

Against her doctor's advice, she continued drinking diet soda and that triggered appetite so she now gain 40lbs of it back. She is struggling with her diet.

It is really sad to see her struggling this much. I offered to help her set up a MFP account, but it doesn't seem to interest her.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have had RNY. I am currently 4 months out and doing and feeling great. I have lost 70 lbs. It is true that when having this surgery, you need to be prepared to do the hard work. This is only a tool. This is not an overnight solution. Many see it as an easy way out, but I will tell you that there is nothing EASY about it. You are forced to make decisions that you previously could not make. You are unable to do as you please or eat as you please. That being said, the surgical part of it is the easiest part. At 4 months out I find it difficult to remember to eat as I have no appetite. I have begun to think of eating as a necessity for health as opposed to for entertainment or fun. If you are considering RNY, and have questions, please feel free to friend me and ask anything. I am still new post surgery considering it has only been months but I am willing to answer any questions. Hope this helps.:wink:
  • idabentley
    idabentley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My friend had the op as her weight was really compromising her health. She lost quite rapidly but like other put a lot of weight back on through alcohol etc. It is really sad to see her at a dinner party as she eats such a minute portion and seems in real discomfort. I had thought about it but having seen her I'd rather learn to eat ok and moderate the amount I eat. This way it feels much more of an achievement and you remain the pilot of your destiny.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I knew someone who got it and she was very successfull.
    she lost so much weightt.... she didint have to follow a certain
    health thing like eating so healthy
    but she did eat less like she couldnt even finish
    a small thing so yeah.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My mom has had it. She lost a lot of weight, but then started gaining it back when she got comfortable and started to eat whatever she wanted. She also began drinking alcohol again. She had to have her pouch resized because she stretched it out so much that it started tearing. Moral of the story: GB is a great tool, but, in my opinion, the person needs to make sure they have their food issues under control first, if any. It should be thought of as an aide and not a solution. JMO

I have had a hard time learning why I eat and conquering it. It is the same as if I didn't have surgery, the only difference is that now I have the weight off and if I don't exercise and eat right I notice every pound that comes back. Before I would work so hard and because I had so much to lose I couldn't see every pound and got discouraged very easily and gave up. It can be done with out surgery. You have to learn the same lessons about eating right and exercise.
  • lokelani4sure
    Options
    I'm planning to have the procedure done. I have my initial visit on Oct.13th. I'm very excited to start my journey, yet I know it's not going to be easy. Especially when you love food. I have determined to go this route because the excess weight has added significant health problems to my life. I can not afford to continue this way. I have so much in life to look forward to. I have several friends that have had the gastral bypass & lap band done. They said they have no regrets for having it done. They look & feel great!
  • webbfitnesspal
    Options
    My surgery date is 9/11/12, only 8 days away. I have had a several family members and friends who have had it done. My mom had it done 9 yrs ago and has done very well. I thinks that it helps that she is an RN so she understands the anatomy of the sx. I know folks who have done and are doing well, and those who lost their initial weight then started eating too much and gained it all back. If I can be of any help, just ask.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My sister had one form of weight loss surgery (idk if it was gastric bypass). She lost a lot of weight on it really really quickly (90ish pounds in about 5 months). Now she is having problems with her gallbladder and is scheduled to have it removed.

Even with all the side effects she has, she still is glad she got the surgery. She is much happier and her relationships are a lot better. I think that part is prob because she is still seeing a psychologists (it was required before she got the surgery). Plus, she has always had a hard time with being overweight (she is 5'2 with a petite frame..at her heaviest she was 280). I think she thought that people thought less of her because she was fat.

She does have quite a bit of loose skin since she lost the weight so fast.

Weight loss surgery isn't for everybody. For me, I know I can lose the weight because I have done it in the past. And i know exactly why I gained the weight back (stopped exercising, stress, moved in with my boyfriend and trying to keep up with my 6'3 boyfriends appetite!). I also am a pansy when it comes to surgery. I also don't have any conditions that will be helped by weight loss surgery like diabetes. My blood pressure isn't the greatest but it should improve with weight loss and exercise. So right now the risk of surgery outweighs my risk of weight related issues.

I wish everyone who is going to get the surgery the best of luck. It has done wonders for my sister and she is a healthier, happier person for it.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I know a man who had had it done, lost about 80 lbs in several months, but then gained most of it back after a few months. It's a band aid remedy, not a guaranteed fix.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I know several and have learned a lot researching this subject.

Your stomach actually absorbs different nutrients at different levels in the stomach. Cut off/block off to high and you are deficient, cut of/block off too low and what's the point?

My cousin had the RNY done almost 12 years ago. She has lost 180+ lbs and kept it off. But there is a price. She is 44 years old and her bones are that of a 70+ year old do to calcium being leached from her bones, she also is deficient in Vit K and Vit D due to her stomach being removed too high. No vitamin can fix this. She has NO muscle tone so is very "saggy" from losing at an extremely rapid pace.

My niece had RNY done at age 18 (still think the doctor was a quack to do it at 18) and she has lost about 80 lbs. Her surgeon was smart enough not to cut her stomach/block her stomach too high since she may be having kids some day. She has NEVER changed her eating habits. She keeps M&M's in her purse. Gets NO nutrition from her food and had to recently have an Iron fusion done that takes several hours due to extremely dangerously low iron.

My BF had the "banding" done about 4 years ago. Lost about 40 lbs then started to gain again despite throwing up after every meal due to food getting "stuck". She's had it loosened but is continuing to gain.

Another BF's brother-in-law had this surgery and had a leak. Stomach acid leaked into his abd. cavity and now he has to have surgery about every 3 months to replace a mesh that is holding his organs in place.

You can do this without surgery.
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had the vertical gastrectomy. 1/10/11
  • ThinCarl
    Options
    I had the surgery Aug 7, 2012 and am soooo very happy. Have always been able to lose weight, but the struggle continually was keeping it off. I am so grateful for this surgery, yet I was very scared to have it. I am down 54 lbs so far and so excited. Know 5 others who have had the surgery and it has been a blessing to them all. It can be a great tool to help you learn to eat properly and smaller portions, to eat healthy and to exercise. But like anything else, if abused, weight gain can return if you sabotage yourself. I had tried all the diets and many of them work to lose weight, but the big deception is that none of them help you keep off the weight. My appetite would always win and also once I reached my desired weight, I had to exercise for hours a day and starve myself to keep the weight off. I could not maintain this long term and my appetite would eventually win out. For once in my life I am in control and can think with my head (vs. appetite controlling me) and have freedom.

WLS may not be for everyone, and there are a few horror stories and many nay sayers, but you know what there are far more people who die from obesity and obesity related diseases. I have a new lease on life, no more sleep apnea, no more snoring, no more gout, no more high blood pressure and no more pills, no more sore joints or sore feet, or back, reduced chance of cancer and heart attack. I feel wonderful and am so looking forward to the rest of my life and living it the way I envisioned it.
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy ( or VSG) September 20th 2011. My one year is fast approaching, while I still regret on some aspects of my decision it has been hard to argue with results. As with all surgeries it's a scary thing to go under the knife, it's all a calculated risk - benefit. If you want message me and ill tell you more. VSG is a different operation than RnY and different things are done same concept.

I urge anyone from West Michigan to join my group, we are looking for members and I'd be happy to answer any questions regardless if you are from MI.

On my one year anniversary I plan to do a photo page and summary story of my first year from surgery, regardless of when I started managing my weight.
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have had it-and none of them seemed to understand that they have to take care of themselves after it. All of the people I know who have gotten it have gained most of their weight back. Some people really understand that it is not just a quick fix, that they need to work hard to maintain it, but many don't and revert right back to their old habits.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Personally and professionally I have seen people who have had gastric bypass with varying results. Most people I know who have had some form of bariatric surgery lost weight but then gained back some if not all. Professionally, I mostly see people who are experiencing complications from their surgery. Some who are unable to eat enough to sustain them that need central lines placed so they can get total parenteral nutrition. Others have had internal complications from over eating or complications because being very overweight when you have surgery increases your risks of complications such as DVT and wound dehiscence.

The bottom line is that you HAVE to change your eating habits and activity level anyway, so why have surgery to do it? I need to lose about 100 lbs, I certainly would qualify for bariatric surgery. But, I am doing it through eating healthy and exercising. I can still have an occasional treat. I eat lots of delicious food, and I've lost 25 lbs so far. I have found a plan that works for me and I feel I can sustain.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My sister has had it done and is doing extremely well, the only reason why she got it done is because she could not physically lose weight on her own. She has done weight watchers, atkins, counted calories, and even weight loss programs through the hospital and nothing worked, so the only way she could get it done was through gastric bypass.
    I personally feel the surgery isn't for anyone, if you are to get it done you must have willpower and a strong head on your shoulders. It isn't the easy way out at all, it's kind of a last resort if your body refuses to let go of the weight. She is extremely happy and doing well, following the plan and not finding it difficult at all. If you are ready to cut several things out of your diet (alcohol, carbonated drinks, anything with more than 7g of sugar, etc.) then I would say go for it. You have to be pretty disciplined, though.
  • lilolegranny
    lilolegranny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weightloss! Great job! I have been going to meetings looking into RnY or VSG. I can't have RnY due to kidney problems. I'm trying MFP as a last resort b4 undergoing such a drastic surgery! If I'm not successful here than surgery is my last hope!
  • lilolegranny
    lilolegranny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great job! My daughter had this surgery and I had been looking into having it as well, but found out that because of failing kidneys the Drs will only do the sleeve. You can not get kidney transplants due to not being able to absorb anti rejection meds with RnY. MFP is my last hope b4 undergoing such a drastic surgery. Surgery if this fails!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!