Gaining and so unhappy

Options

Replies

• selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    im not trying to be rude just helping out but your not eating enough calories on a daily basis...try to drink more water as well.
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Maybe u arent burning as much as unthink? Or u are under calculating your cals consumed

As far as calories, burned, I only have this site to go by, that is until today when I used my Nike + sensors and it gave me a higher calorie burn. I'm very conscious about my calories...to the point it drives my DH crazy sometimes,lol
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you are eating so much low fat dairy? It's high in sodium, processed, and you're having trouble getting anywhere near your calories. I'd go with using wholefat products, getting your protein up and your sodium down. Try for lean meats and fish rather than pizzas, pepperoni, turkey bacon, and get at least your 5 portions of veg and fruit each day. And make sure you are eating reasonably close to your goal each day. Also drink plenty of water. Try that for a month and I'll be surprised if you don't see results. Good luck with it, don't give up!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    TECHNICALLY, your sodium won't matter much, or your choice of food. As long as you burn more calories than you intake you will lose weight. Thats just basic science. As far as eating more...you have LOTS of calories left most days...you should be eating your goal. Not fueling the body enough will cause you to slow down on the weight loss journey. Also, if you are only doing C25K you are not running long enough distances to really need to worry about eating more or carbing up...just so you know.

Thanks. I'm just not hungry......not sure why......I'm trying to make my menu up for the upcoming week.....hopefully I can figure out a good plan

I feel ya.. when I was eating 1100-1200 cals a day I wasn't hungry at all.. My body had gotten used to eating so little. I upped my cals ( I eat 1500-1800 a day now) and the first couple of days were hard.. I felt stuffed to the brim.. but amazingly I woke up STARVING!! Over the next month or so after consistently eating 1500-1800 cals a day I have dropped about 7 lbs.

Yes it is cals in vs cals out, but you don't want to create too big of a deficit or your body will start storing. Good Luck!!
  • lorinjer
    Options
    TECHNICALLY, your sodium won't matter much, or your choice of food. As long as you burn more calories than you intake you will lose weight. Thats just basic science. As far as eating more...you have LOTS of calories left most days...you should be eating your goal. Not fueling the body enough will cause you to slow down on the weight loss journey. Also, if you are only doing C25K you are not running long enough distances to really need to worry about eating more or carbing up...just so you know.

I disagree. Some people, myself included, are very sensitive to sodium. I retain water very easily when my sodium count goes above 2000 mg/day. It doesn't change the calories-in-calories-out rule of course, but it most definitely does affect weight loss! Sodium induced water weight can easily mask your weight loss progress. What might otherwise register as a loss on the scale, shows up as a gain because of the excess fluids retained. Very frustrating!

When I finally understood this and started keeping sodium around 1500 mg/day consistently and eating a whole lot more fruits and vegetables (a dramatic increase in potassium) I lost the excess fluids. In fact, 7 pounds in 7 weeks. I'm now at my goal weight. And my blood pressure is much lower as well.

We are all different. For some people sodium has no real negative impact. For others, sodium is something that needs to be watched closely.

I'm willing to try lowering my sodium while watching my carb in take.....really hard to do.....I just want to see things move down again....
  • lorinjer
    Options
    I'm guessing by "junk" you mean the turkey pepperoni, cheese.......nuts?

I eat nuts, pepperoni on occasion (not often - the calories are insane) and cheese. I've managed to chop up Applegate Farms turkey breakfast sausage sometimes to get a similar happy taste. I still lose weight. I really think just adding some healthy foods and eating regularly to match your exercising will make a huge difference. I try to avoid processed foods where ever possible or pick stuff that's healthy (no chemicals - sandwich meats). Basically, good choices. You'll do fine! The key part is don't give up. You can do this! You're here because you want to be a healthier person and we're all here for the same reason.

Thanks
  • lorinjer
    Options
    (Oh-- and PS.. I HIGHLY recommend splurging for a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT4 and LOVE it. Before I had it, I was stalled for a bit. After I started using my HRM I realized that MFP and online calorie-burn calculators are usually way off. On average, they were OVERestimating my calorie burn BIG time.. Sometimes by over 100 calories!!!) My heart rate monitor must be a lot more accurate, because I eat back my exercise calories every day and I am losing regularly now.

I will have to look into that....not sure that is a problem right now considering I don't eat back my calories burned ......
  • abirkel
    Options
    I would wager, based on looking at a few days' worth of your diary, that you are not eating nearly enough. The reason why your weight loss has stalled for the past year is because your metabolism has been damaged.

Also, maybe in addition to C25K, consider adding some strength training.

Check this out and use this tool to calculate the calories you need. The number will probably be much higher than you expect it to be.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck!
  • lorinjer
    Options

Thanks. I'm just not hungry......not sure why......I'm trying to make my menu up for the upcoming week.....hopefully I can figure out a good plan

Sometimes, you just have to eat like it is your JOB. On my busiest days, I have been known to be standing in the kitchen trying to figure out how to eat 700 calories at 9pm--After already eating 1400+ calories for the day! Those are the days that I have to get past that mental hump and eat something like a FiberOne brownie with 2T of peanut butter on it ( roughly 350-400 calories).

Lol I can see myself doing that....so far I've spent two hours playing with my diary for this upcoming week trying to get it to at least 1200 calories before exercise
  • lorinjer
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know that when you're a runner you do add a few extra pounds.It means that you are eating correctly. Your body needs it when your a long distance runner. Your body burns food so much quicker.

Not sure I qualify as a runner since I just started doing C25K ...but I will keep that in mind
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lorinjer
    Options
    To be blunt... you are eating horribly and not enough calories in general. Eat more and get rid of some of the junk. Be more consistent. Round out your diet.

Probably more the pizza hut?

Lol. Pizza hut is a rare occasion in this house.....
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

I eat Ben and Jerries, taco bell, fast food, nuts, pepporoni, cheese. If someone would have only told me to cut that stuff out, maybe I wouldn't have lost 110lbs so far. I also intentionally add salt to my food too.

Lol. I eat all of the above also.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Based on what everyone else said I'm not going to look at your diary. But I will offer you this advice, which is even hard for me to eat sometimes: strive for five fruits and vegetables a day. They contain potassium, which will help you shed water. You are probably full of water weight at the moment. They also contain fiber and antioxidants, which will help keep you from getting cancer. Running alone won't help you run away from disease.
  • lorinjer
    Options
    im not trying to be rude just helping out but your not eating enough calories on a daily basis...try to drink more water as well.

I thought drinking 12 plus cups a day was good.....I did that all last week.....shooting for that today.....yesterday was a mess.....trying to figure out how to eat more but stay below everything....
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It's always frustrating to see a gain when you're trying so hard.

I took a peek at your diary for the last week and I agree you're not eating enough calories. If you're not hungry (especially in the morning) it means your metabolism is probably very sluggish right now.

Figure out your BMR here:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr

which is the amount of calories you would need to eat if you were in a coma, (ie, not including exercise or even getting up and walking around your daily activities). Add 20% to that amount of calories and that is the absolute least amount of calories you should ever eat in a day.

Sounds like exercise isn't your problem at all, it's your diet. Hope you can get it figured out and see some progress on the scale soon!
  • ken1949
    Options
    Looks like your non-exercise calorie goal is 1550 per day - try dividing that into 4 equal +/- parts for B,L, D and Snacks (about 375 +/-) each. eating at a more consistant level through out the day will keep your matabolisim at a steadier level. As others have said - watch the sodium (water retention, I try for 1500mg max)) and also up the protien (slower to digest) and reduce the carbs and fat (kind of "empty" calories along with sugars) .. results in better quality fuel for your exercising. Something else to consider ... generally running/jogging (depending on your current weight and speed) is only good for 80-120 calories burned per mile, so if your recording a higher burn rate, perhaps that is impacting your results a bit. If possible, try exerecising in the morning because the elevated burn rate will continue for a few hours into the rest of the day. Also as ohters have suggested - more unprocessed veggies - a lot more ( they fill you up, have good nutrients and don't add many calories). Gook luck
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I thought drinking 12 plus cups a day was good.....I did that all last week.....shooting for that today.....yesterday was a mess.....trying to figure out how to eat more but stay below everything....

I don't worry about my fat consumption as long as it's from natural sources. Such as eggs, full fat dairy (including butter!), unprocessed meat, and nuts.So don't focus on that too much. Just try cutting out some of the processed foods and adding some things that have more nutritive value. feel free to add me if you want so you can see my diary. I eat close to 2000 calories a day, most of it's healthy unprocessed stuff. I'm not saying I never go out for fast food, but for the most part I eat pretty clean. I'm hungry before all my meals, and maintaining at 123 pounds and hopefully gaining muscle as I'm trying to do that right now.
  • lorinjer
    Options
    I would wager, based on looking at a few days' worth of your diary, that you are not eating nearly enough. The reason why your weight loss has stalled for the past year is because your metabolism has been damaged.

Also, maybe in addition to C25K, consider adding some strength training.

Check this out and use this tool to calculate the calories you need. The number will probably be much higher than you expect it to be.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck!

I know I need to eat more..problem is I'm just not hungry.....I eat three meals a day....and snack or light meal a few times a day.....playing around with food diary for next week to see what I can come up with
  • ezavora
    ezavora Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have gotten some great advice. Stick with it. I also gained some even though I was sticking to my plan. Ive tweaked a few things and am going to weigh myself in a couple days. i already feel better.

You mentioned the loss of a friend. Dont underestimate the effect that stress can have on your body. That alone can inhibit weight loss.

Good for you for reaching out to make it happen.