Anyone else annoyed by those "inter-dry" banners???

Options
Laurelje
Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
I realize this is a weight loss web site, but do we really need to be reminded like this? I look at the ad banner and see an advert for a sheet of some absorbent material you're supposed to put in your fat fold to relieve "irritation"...Come on, people don't need to be reminded of that particular problem!

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I don't see any ads.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Ddepends on your browser - if you have tracking cookies on and what you have been looking at online in the recent past

I'm getting Bird-be-Gone ads!
  • Laurelje
    Options
    I don't see any ads.

You're lucky - they are all over my page!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You see adds? How quaint. If you use any browser other than explorer (does anyone still use that pile of poo?) you can install a program to block all the banners and adds.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If your using google chrome you will get them - if you use mozilla you won't.
  • Nfairley
    Options
    If you use a different browser (or install a certain plug-in), you won't have that issue. It really does make the entire web experience much more pleasant
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Don't hate because you're technologically challenged.

And yet if you do that, you're more likely to cause the site to close down because they don't make the revenue to keep this open for you.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Wow!

You complain about ads. Someone explains that if you use a different browser you don't have to see the ads and your response involves insulting the other person?

Next time try "that sounds great. Can you explain a bit better though, as I'm not that great with computers?"
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use firefox and get them too- only the recurring one on mine is 'cut down a bit of fat every day using this one weird old tip'. Clicking on it to see what it is, and its one of those fake acaia berry ones. SO ANNOYING. Or sometimes McDonalds, or Subway... Really useful :laugh:

How do you install these add-blockers?
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Your ads depend on what you've been searching for in your browser. I see investing ads and amazon ads. :blushing:
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm using Google chrome and I have seen the inter-dry ads in the past. Right now I'm getting ads for Shutterstock, Disneyland Resorts, Safeway, and Amazon.com.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've never seen those. the ads i see are based on recent places i've visited on the interwebz, so i see a lot of shoe, clothing, hair and skin care ads. oh and a few for my new job :laugh:
  • KrisThomas1964
    Options
    Block the ads that's what i do never see any no matter what i browse do a search for ( adblock ) and you should never see an ad again..
  • Laurelje
    Options
    most of the ads do relate to places I've been on the web...but there's always the odd inter-dry banner, or lose belly fat, or a restaurant...every once in a while.
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Bloody hell people!! chill out!

For the OP. Your ads are targetted. so what ever you have been looking at previously will be sent to you in ad form.

If you change to another browser (Firefox or Chrome) You can get an ad blocker that will prevent them from showing up.

If you need help with Firefox, drop me a mail and Ill give you the ideas I use to prevent any ads getting through.

To the person that mentioned ad money, dont worry, they will still get paid. they still get sent, its just the blocker prevents them from showing up.
    Plus, they have enough other forums/websites that make it impossible for them to be poor.
  • RainHoward
    Options
    I use firefox and get them too- only the recurring one on mine is 'cut down a bit of fat every day using this one weird old tip'. Clicking on it to see what it is, and its one of those fake acaia berry ones. SO ANNOYING. Or sometimes McDonalds, or Subway... Really useful :laugh:

How do you install these add-blockers?

Like this: http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/10/ad-block-for-chrome-firefox-safari/
    Or: http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/17516/block-ads-in-firefox-internet-explorer-chrome-and-opera-how-to/#ie

However, keep in mind that some websites won't allow you to view content if you are blocking the revenue producing adds. cbs.com and hulu are two I know of from first hand experience. You can "white list" them however so that add blocker is disabled on those pages.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    If your using google chrome you will get them - if you use mozilla you won't.

You're using Chrome wrong....
    I have never had a single ad on chrome. In fact, it was a long time before I even knew this site HAD ads. I was wondering what people used to mean when they said stuff about the picture of the rotting banana...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You see adds? How quaint. If you use any browser other than explorer (does anyone still use that pile of poo?) you can install a program to block all the banners and adds.

web-browsers-as-kids-fighting-600x430.jpg
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I get ads (use mozilla firefox but don't know how to block them). Usually Dominos pizza as my husband has been using my laptop to order takeaways!
  • RainHoward
    Options

web-browsers-as-kids-fighting-600x430.jpg

I LOVE this. I had to save it to my desktop for future use.
    I suppose I shouldn't completely label myself as a geek and tell people I use linux for my operating system.