Options
124»

Replies

• ktull68
    Options
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    There are lots of Japanese sauces that, although contain soy sauce, is quite low in sodium yet very flavorful. My favorite being Kikkoman Katsu sauce, which is a fruit-flavored BBQ sauce that goes well on nearly everything.

Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
    Calories: 20
    Sodium: 290mg
    Carbs: 5g
    Sugar: 4g

Another favorite, which is thin in consistency like soy sauce, is Yakitori no Tare:

Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
    Calories: 20
    Sodium: 320
    Carbs: 4g
    Sugar: 3g
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    As an Asian who used to make Chinese meals regularly without even glancing at nutritional labels, cutting down on the doses of favorite condiments like light soy sauce and oyster sauce was an intensely heartbreaking experience. It also involved re-engineering a few recipes and permanently trashing others.

My go-to condiments and seasonings now when I make Chinese meals: Mrs Dash's no-salt seasoning blends, Thai garlic chili paste, sambal oelek, dark sesame oil, garlic, onion, and a variety of peppers.

I still cook with soy sauce, however. It just does not happen every week anymore, which is turning out to be pretty cool because I now make the original recipes only on special occasions.

:flowerforyou:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    There's sodium in a lot of food products that I wasn't aware of. I cut WAY back on my sodium consumption. It's not something I generally used to pay attention to but now I certainly do.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! I love cottage cheese and was so sad to see the sodium level. Also canned black beans. Here I thought I was being so healthy!

If you like black beans, check out Eden's organic black beans. ½ cup has only 15mg of sodium. http://goo.gl/6pfMw
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As a Japanese woman, soy sauce is my life. I absolutely will not live without it. No one can ever take my soy sauce away from me! I use it sparingly, and have gotten the hang of it. I do not use it every day but when I do, I will only use up to 1 tbs, then watch the rest of my sodium intake for that day, of course. That's just me though. =)