Morningstar products

Options

Replies

• Incendia99
    Incendia99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything they make is tasty IMO! Especially the BBQ Riblets and Spicy Black Bean Burgers. For a while there I was eating one MS item everyday. Don't eat them quite as often these days because I'm trying to cut back on all frozen/processed stuff and eat more whole foods.. But I still love em! Enjoy!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I love them! My personal favorite are the corn dogs. Yum!
  • omanitshann
    Options
    i eat the veggie burgers, not on a regular basis, but once in awhile. They taste really good, probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but I think they are good for a day when you need something quick and moderately healthy
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    They used to be a staple in this house until I recently found out that they funded fighting prop 37. Now I am not purchasing them out of sheer principle. I am very sad, the hot dogs and sausage patties are my favorites.

There is a company that makes a vegetarian product made from a fungus that grows on corn called Quorn. They are a little more expensive but they are also soy free. OMG their stuff is stellar. Best fake meat product ever.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I like their fake chicken, but the rest of the stuff isn't as good, to me, as some other brands. I really like Boca. However, except for the Morningstar Farms organic product (I think there is just one), all of their products and all of the Boca products are made with genetically modified ingredients. :( I wish they wouldn't do that. Boca, years ago, said that they were going to move away from GMO soy, but then they were bought by one of the big corporations and they never made good on that.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    Some of it is good if you know how to cook it.

Boca burgers are super yummy too.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    They used to be a staple in this house until I recently found out that they funded prop 37. Now I am not purchasing them out of sheer principle. I am very sad, the hot dogs and sausage patties are my favorites.

There is a company that makes a vegetarian product made from a fungus that grows on corn called Quorn. They are a little more expensive but they are also soy free. OMG their stuff is stellar. Best fake meat product ever.

Do you mean they are funding to block Prop 37? Because if they funded it, then they are welcoming the labeling of GMO products.

Anyway, I would stay away from both Quorn and Morning Star because both use GMO grains.

I don't understand why people want to eat FAKE foods.
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Please read this first before choosing Morningstar, Boca Burger, etc.

http://foodbabe.com/2012/07/02/think-twice-before-buying-this-type-of-burger/
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I use the Morningstar Crumbles in just about any recipe that call for ground beef. I've let my non-vegetarian friends try it and they were all impressed. I also really like the fake bacon. The chik'n patties are good as well.

I use a lot of Quorn naked chik'n cutlets as you can use them like chicken breasts.

There is another brand called Veggie Patch that makes fantastic fake meatballs and hot dogs.

I would advise everyone against the Morningstar Farms fake meatballs, though. We couldn't find the Veggie Patch ones once and tried the Morningstar Farms one instead. I could not eat them. So nasty I couldn't even dress them up.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    They used to be a staple in this house until I recently found out that they funded prop 37. Now I am not purchasing them out of sheer principle. I am very sad, the hot dogs and sausage patties are my favorites.

Do you mean they are funding to block Prop 37? Because if they funded it, then they are welcoming the labeling of GMO products.

Anyway, I would stay away from both Quorn and Morning Star because both use GMO grains.

I don't understand why people want to eat FAKE foods.

Yes, my bad, they are fighting it. And I would rather eat a fake hot dog rather than a real nitrate filled meat hot dog any day. I eat fake meat products because the real ones will kill me faster. I do not eat them all the time, but do enjoy them. I eat whole fresh foods 90% of the time.
  • Gmatthai
    Gmatthai Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No, Too much Sodium. Bad for the heart!
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I hate Morningstar products. They taste bland and disgusting...just my opinion.

I would much rather eat Boca, Veggie Patch, Yves, Vienna, Light Life, or Gardein. I mostly eat Gardein products because they don't have GMO.
  • thirtyby30
    thirtyby30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Had a sausage patty this am! Put it on a Light English Muffin, along w/ an egg fried w/ cooking spray. Yummy! This is my weekend breakfast!
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good vegetarian protein. They're all full of sodium & processed, but IIFYM :)
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the black bean burgers and the Chik patties. Also the sausage. I shouldn't eat them as often as I do, but usually by the end of the day it's all I can handle making for dinner.

I don't like the crumbles but I also don't like the taste of hamburger so I'm probably not a good judge.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I love the Morningstar Chipotle Blackbean burger that we got from Costco!!!! Yes the sodium is a high but if you are eating mostly whole food then it won't kill you that much!!!
  • rileydog14
    Options
    I love them - simple and easy
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that I am keeping Quorn in business. I eat it daily and LOVE it!!!!
  • acmilan11
    acmilan11 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love them! I take them to work and have then with slissed tomotoes! My favs are tomato basil and buffalo chicken!!!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Morningstar is fine if you don't mind eating MSG.

I love the Tomato and Basil Pizza Burger, BUT...the first ingredient is Textured Soy Protein Concentrate, and it also contains Autolyzed Yeast Extract, and Natural and Artificial Flavors. All these ingredients are alternate names for MSG, or more precisely, they contain MSG as a byproduct of processing, but the MSG is not concentrated enough to legally warrant MSG appearing on the label. The labeling laws on MSG are very lax.

MSG causes varying degrees of problems for different people. Most concur that it is an appetite stimulant. You can google "code names for MSG" and find multiple sites with lists of ingredients to be suspicious of.