Ladies, how heavy are you lifting?

Options
I have been lifting weights since the beginning of July and have progressed from 10lb dumbbells to 15lb dumbbells and from 45 on a barbell to 55. I feel like I am still relatively new to heavy weight lifting and while I feel like the weight I am working with is heavy for me, I have been wondering what other women are lifting. (sorry fellas, nothing against you but I don't think it would be too helpful for me to compare what you are lifting to what I am lifting to get an idea of where I might want to go, hope you understand) I have been thinking that I will stop increasing my lifting weight when I hit 20 or 25 per dumbbell, and I have no idea where my limits are with stuff like benching, deadlifts, and squats. I had the thought that when I get to where I am lifting the 20lb weights then I will start training a bit more for endurance; like, sticking to the 20lbs and doing more reps.

So, Ladies, how much do you consider to be heavy? What weights are you working with?

Replies

• angela1700
    angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this too. I am on 15 lb. dumbbells, but much higher on the machines. Sometimes I feel more comfortable doing heavy weights on the machines because they allow me to keep proper form. But, I also know that dumbbells are excellent for natural movement, so, I try to work out with those at least once per week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Heavy varies from person to person, and from lift to lift. It's whatever challenges you, but you can maintain good form.

I was doing machines at the gym, but when I started doing free weights at home, I had to lower my numbers. Not only because the machines do some of the work, but there's no risk of dropping anything when you're doing machines, and I don't have a spotter or a squat rack.

I'm doing about 60 on the bench press, 40 on overhead press and barbell curl. At the gym, I was chest pressing over 100 (but with less range of motion) and up to 50 pounds on the shoulder press and bicep curl.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I started compound lifts in June and I'm currently at 65kg for both squats and deadlifts 3 sets of 8 which is around 140 ish lbs
  • carlageek
    carlageek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How much weight I use depends, of course, upon what exercise I am doing. But I like to lift heavy and think you should too. What "lifting heavy" means to me is this:

For any particular exercise, choose a weight at which you can do 5-8 reps while preserving good form. If you can do more than 10 reps without fatigue, you need to up the weight. If you cannot reach 5 reps with good form, you need to decrease the weight. I like to do 3 sets of each exercise, 5-8 reps per set, at whatever is the right weight for me to hit that range.

As you get stronger, you can use the same criterion to gauge when it's time to increase the weight you are using on a particular exercise. Don't be afraid to challenge your body, either.

That's it - it's that simple. Just remember that different exercises work different muscle groups, and so the right weight for one exercise might not be the right weight for a different exercise.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting again since mid last november. My squat is up to 185lbs for 2 reps, deadlift is 175 for 5, and chest press is 95 for 2.
    Most exercises I do 10/8/6/4/max reps, increasing the weights every set.
  • MonkRocker
    Options
    I am curious about this too. I am on 15 lb. dumbbells, but much higher on the machines. Sometimes I feel more comfortable doing heavy weights on the machines because they allow me to keep proper form. But, I also know that dumbbells are excellent for natural movement, so, I try to work out with those at least once per week.

Before it gets hammered home a million times in this thread -

Machines aren't teaching you anything resembling "proper form." Don't get me wrong, they have value, but for a beginner, they don't have much and will eventually make you MORE injury prone in the long run. The reason why is long and easily googled, but the short of it is what you said: "natural movement."

When you perform any sort of strength move with your body - not for exercise - but something you'd actually do: moving a box, rearranging furniture, etc - you are using a LOT of different muscles. Haven't you ever moved houses/apartments and wondered why your whole body was sore afterwards? Machines are isolation exercises, so they are designed to do just that: isolate a particular muscle. This means that all the other muscles which are needed to support a particular motion are not getting worked out like they should.

Please please please - and this includes you OP, read up on some beginner lifting guides. The rules are basically the same for men and women. Some things to google: "starting strength" and "new rules of lifting for women."

Yes, you can workout with 15lb dumbbells, yes you can work out with machines and yes, you will eventually see results doing it. But you will see much faster results and be safer and stronger if you are doing heavy, compound lifts.

Edit:
    I've been lifting again since mid last november. My squat is up to 185lbs for 2 reps, deadlift is 175 for 5, and chest press is 95 for 2.

This. This right here. Do this. Like...a LOT.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Please please please - and this includes you OP, read up on some beginner lifting guides. The rules are basically the same for men and women. Some things to google: "starting strength" and "new rules of lifting for women."

Yes, you can workout with 15lb dumbbells, yes you can work out with machines and yes, you will eventually see results doing it. But you will see much faster results and be safer and stronger if you are doing heavy, compound lifts.

^ Compound lifts for the win.

This. This right here. Do this. Like...a LOT.

^ This person rocks.
  • ruffian25
    Options
    I usually stick to 4-15 reps for 3 sets. Each week I try to increase reps. Once 15 reps is easy then it's time to increase the weight.

For the big 3, the bar itself weighs 45lpd...I add 25lpd of plates on the bench press, 35lpd on squat and 50lpd on deadlift.

Really though whats heavy for me may be light for you and vice versa, everyone is different. When going heavier it's best to get a spotter, it's been my experience that just about everyone in the gym will be willing to spot you for a set while their resting between their sets. If you can't get a spotter, dont put the clips on the ends of the bar so if you get stuck you can just tip the bar and the plates fall off on the floor

if your goal is strength heavier weight, less reps, if endurance is your goal then lighter weight, more reps. Dont know where you're at but I just finished a program that had a really fun day in it for endurance...that day included bench, squat, clean and press. week one I did 20 reps 3 sets. Started with 10lpd on bench, 20lpd on squat and used a preweighted 20lpd bar for clean and press. Week two was 20 reps, 4 sets and 5 pounds added to all lifts. Week 3 was 20 reps, 5 sets with 5 more pounds added to all lifts and week 4 was 20 reps, 6 sets with 5 more pounds added to all lifts. I timed my rest and rested no more than 2 min between all sets
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to 4-15 reps for 3 sets. Each week I try to increase reps. Once 15 reps is easy then it's time to increase the weight.
    If you're able to do 15 reps, up your weight until you can only do half of that, you'll see better results quicker... You should only be able to do 6-8 reps with good form, but barely able to finish the last.
    Really though whats heavy for me may be light for you and vice versa, everyone is different. When going heavier it's best to get a spotter, it's been my experience that just about everyone in the gym will be willing to spot you for a set while their resting between their sets. If you can't get a spotter, dont put the clips on the ends of the bar so if you get stuck you can just tip the bar and the plates fall off on the floor

Please don't ever do this. It's dangerous and will point you out as being a noob quicker than lightning.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting heavy for 13 weeks. Im currently squatting 70kg and deadlifting 75kg. Arms were 37.5 for bench, 35 row and 30kg OHP, but Ive had to deload due to a rotator cuff injury, which is now (hopefully) resolved. These are all using a barbell
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you can't get a spotter, dont put the clips on the ends of the bar so if you get stuck you can just tip the bar and the plates fall off on the floor

This is dangerous, awful advice.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Bench 3x5x105
    Squat 3x5x135
    Deadlift 1x5x175
    Overhead 3x5x70
    Pendlay 3x5x85
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I see "heavy" as very different to endurance. I don't like endurance lifting (just a personal preference) but I love low reps / heavier weights. Most of the time I will up the weight on somewhere between 6 and 8 reps.

Weights, in pounds, that I'm training on currently:

Squats: 110. 3 sets. 5-8 reps.
    Bench: 100. 5 sets. 3-5 reps.
    Deadlift: Anywhere 130-190. 2-6 reps.
    Overhead press: 72. 2-4 reps.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bench 3x5x105
    Squat 3x5x135
    Deadlift 1x5x175
    Overhead 3x5x70
    Pendlay 3x5x85

Bench 5x5x70. That lift suck
    Squat *kitten* to the grass 5x5x120
    Deadlift 1x5x145 had to reload to fix my form
    Overhead 5x5x70
    Pendlay 5x5x70

I have been lifting for a year, hopefully my weight will go up at my next bulk cycle
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    my wife does

squat 175
    dead lift 185
    bench press 90
    over head press 60
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    i was thinking about posting this very question earlier today.
    I just started NROLFW,
    deadlift: 15kg (12 reps)
    DB shlder press : 3kg
    squat & lunge (no weights as dodgy knees)
    i've only got DB no Barbell, so no bench press.

I think I'm a wuss :(, but I'm using all of my weights for the deadlift. will be getting some more when i can afford it/ find some on GUmtree.)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    back squat 165 (1 RM 185) front Squat 145
    dead lift 240 (1 RM 245)
    bench press 100 (1RM 110)
    over head press 90 (1RM 100
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Make goals such as

150% of body weight bench
    200% of body weight squat
    200% of body weight deadlift
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    when i was a college athlete i was in the weight room all the time....

my best bench was around 200 pounds and my best squat was around 300-400 pounds.

i have been out of commission in the weight lifting department for a while, so for now i am going back to basics and starting light....like really light...i am going to work at my own pace and up my weights as i see fit...i would like to be back to what i was lifting in college if not more.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    Bench 3x5x105
    Squat 3x5x135
    Deadlift 1x5x175
    Overhead 3x5x70
    Pendlay 3x5x85

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for! :)