Ladies, how heavy are you lifting?

Options

Replies

• Jerry1001
    Jerry1001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    To make the point a am 6'4" weigh 233 and most of the women posting here lift the same or more than me, But I'm working on it:blushing:
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this thread with me at my first training---this and another one--as I am a complete novice
  • SugarPie07
    SugarPie07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive powerlifter, so my numbers don't really count. BUT, use the heaviest weight that you can maintain proper form for the prescribed number of reps. A good program is Jim Wendler's 5/3/1.

Don't put limits on yourself by saying that you'll stop once you hit a certain number - that's bull. Challenge yourself!! You will NOT get too muscular, look like a man, etc.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I don't have a whole lot of money to throw at my new obsession (weight lifting) but so far I have lost 15 pounds (down from 212 to 197!) and I am following the workouts listed in transformation stories on muscleandstrength.com.

For anyone who is interested I started on this workout:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/kristen-adamson-body-transformation.html

then progressed to:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/michaella-campbell-transformation.html

and am now in my third week of:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/mercia-howard-body-transformation.html

I really like reading through the transformation stories on that website, and have book marked each one that has a workout plan to follow. I get bored really easily with workouts so about every 4 weeks or more I move to a new workout; still lifting heavy, but doing things like hammer curls instead of barbell curls, or changing the number of reps/sets with the heaviest weight I can do. I hope to one day be able to lift as heavy as a lot of you lovely ladies (and gents, Jerry1001!)
  • willowdancer
    Options
    I'm a competitive powerlifter, so my numbers don't really count. BUT, use the heaviest weight that you can maintain proper form for the prescribed number of reps. A good program is Jim Wendler's 5/3/1.

Don't put limits on yourself by saying that you'll stop once you hit a certain number - that's bull. Challenge yourself!! You will NOT get too muscular, look like a man, etc.

I would LOVE to get ripped and huge: I want to look like Marilyn Monroe got injected with super serum or something and went all she-hulk. But I want to do it naturally (no steroids or anything like that!... gamma rays anyone?) I will throw weight limit out the window then! Challenges sound good to me today :P

I am interested in your numbers, especially as a competitive powerlifter!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My lifts are all pretty light.... I also haven't lifted in probably 3 weeks now :'( My gym membership expired and I just got a new one a few days ago... going for the first time tomorrow morning. YAY!!!! So now that I've taken this time off, my lifts are going to be pretty bad, I know it. I do the msot I can lift for 5 reps. But some people do higher rep ranges, like 8-12. Just whatever you feel is best.

I also only started lifting at the end of may/beginning of June, so I never got very heavy anyway.
    Squats: 105
    Bench: 55
    Overhead press: 40 lol
    Bent over rows: 60
    Deadlifts: 105
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My lifts are all pretty light.... I also haven't lifted in probably 3 weeks now :'( My gym membership expired and I just got a new one a few days ago... going for the first time tomorrow morning. YAY!!!! So now that I've taken this time off, my lifts are going to be pretty bad, I know it. I do the msot I can lift for 5 reps. But some people do higher rep ranges, like 8-12. Just whatever you feel is best.

I also only started lifting at the end of may/beginning of June, so I never got very heavy anyway.
    Squats: 105
    Bench: 55
    Overhead press: 40 lol
    Bent over rows: 60
    Deadlifts: 105

You are exactly where I am weight wise! Except, I seem to be stuck on my squats. Last week I did three sets of 12 at 55lbs. That's a little sad to me, considering I did the same weight for standing calf raises! I work out at work, and we only have a smith machine. I think that its preventing me from going up in weight as it doesn't feel right with my body (I know - avoid the smith). But when you don't have anything else, and no spotters...

I did try placing the oly bar on the dip stand, load it with weights, then walk under it, but that's probably a worse idea than just using the smith. I might try switching to goblet squats for now.
  • provin1327
    Options
    Form should always be before weight. For me, even though I am a guy, it's the same for the ladies. Lifting heavy would be whatever weight puts you in a 2-6 rep range to FAILURE!!! Where you can't get another rep, that's lifting heavy. My normal working weight rep range is 8-12, again going to FAILURE. Do be afraid to lift in compound movements and train to failure. For some reason every woman thinks they will turn into Arnold if they pick up anything more than a 5 lbs dumbbell. Generally speaking 2-6 reps = strength, 8-12 = size/tone, 15-20 = endurance
  • SugarPie07
    SugarPie07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I would LOVE to get ripped and huge: I want to look like Marilyn Monroe got injected with super serum or something and went all she-hulk. But I want to do it naturally (no steroids or anything like that!... gamma rays anyone?) I will throw weight limit out the window then! Challenges sound good to me today :P

I am interested in your numbers, especially as a competitive powerlifter!

So glad you're up for a challenge!!

My best competition numbers (with competition equipment) are

Squat - 573
    Bench Press - 407
    Deadlift - 507

My best raw lifts are

Squat - 405
    Bench Press - 255
    Deadlift - 440

Each was probably done at a different body weight, but those are my best overall to date :)
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump... I'd also like to know what to strive for...
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I'm a novice, have only recently committed to lifting, but here are some weights I'm at after a month, in the 10-20 rep range:

Deadlift: 80 lbs
    Bench press: 2 x 25 dumbbells
    Squat: 80 lbs

ACSM says that after 3 weeks (9 full-body workouts) at *any* rep range that lets you learn good form (so, light-ISH, but challenging, in 10-15 range), you can switch up your rep ranges which will let you get at overall muscular strength and growth. I'm about to go to 8-12 in my next session :)

http://www.acsm.org/access-public-information/articles/2012/01/13/the-basics-of-starting-and-progressing-a-strength-training-program

I found it annoying to figure out where to start. Here's some information that could help (because I bet you could lift heavier than those 15 lbs). I mean the "Identify Initial Resistances" bit :)

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Tips.html#anchor1072724
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I started heavy lifting in April, my current stats are:

Squat 125 x 6
    Over Head Press 70 x 6
    Deadlift 135 x 6
    Dumbbell Bench Press 35s x 6
  • wildcata77
    Options
    How much weight I use depends, of course, upon what exercise I am doing. But I like to lift heavy and think you should too. What "lifting heavy" means to me is this:

For any particular exercise, choose a weight at which you can do 5-8 reps while preserving good form. If you can do more than 10 reps without fatigue, you need to up the weight. If you cannot reach 5 reps with good form, you need to decrease the weight. I like to do 3 sets of each exercise, 5-8 reps per set, at whatever is the right weight for me to hit that range.

As you get stronger, you can use the same criterion to gauge when it's time to increase the weight you are using on a particular exercise. Don't be afraid to challenge your body, either.

That's it - it's that simple. Just remember that different exercises work different muscle groups, and so the right weight for one exercise might not be the right weight for a different exercise.

I've been lifting since June, and I absolutely agree with this, and this is how it's working for me. I do mostly dumbbell lifts, often incorporating the ball to help work my core. Here is my current routine for comparison (not in order):

(Edit: the dumbbell weights are per side, so double for total lift poundage)

Overhead press and Bicep curl (done on Boku): 12.5 pounds, 3x6 sets. Not on Boku: 17.5 pounds for bicep curls

Chest press (done with shoulders on ball and pelvis lifted): 15 lbs, 3x6

Bent over row (supported on ball): 20 lbs, 3x6

Barbell Squat: 45lbs, 3x10. I can actually squat more than this, but using a free barbell I'm afraid of actually getting it over my head with my arms/shoulders, so I'm considering asking next week how to use the assisted machines

Lunges: done with 10lb dumbells, I just go back and forth across the exercise room floor, probably about 15 total each leg

Step-ups, using a step with 4 lifts: 15lbs, 3x6

I am completely off the machines except the freemotion cable ones, and the assisted dip/pull-up bar. I do 30lbs, 3x6 on the chest cable machine (sitting with my back unsupported to work core) and I do 45lbs (probably moving up this week) on the row cable machine, sitting on the ball. I do 2 sets of 15, but I do them like this: 5 reps sitting, 5 reps right leg up, 5 reps left leg up, rest, repeat.

It feels really good to type most of this out...in June I started at about 8-10lbs for most of these exercises, so I have definitely seen an improvement in both strength and size, although my weight has been slower to drop. I've only lost about 6 pounds in those 2 months, but already I'm down a size and my arms are definitely firming up. I also don't lift as much as I should: I usually do 2x lifting and 1x cardio in the gym (usually swimming) and then the other days try to get exercise done around the house, at the park, etc.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Like Monk said on the first page, machines are HORRIBLE for your form, don't teach you anything, don't allow you to use your stabilizing muscles, and just all around SUCK.

Barbells and heavy dumbbells FTW.

My current numbers (lifting since April)
    Squat 120
    Bench 80
    Deadlift 135
    Overhead Press 50
    Pendlay row 70
  • denise4230
    denise4230 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How much weight I use depends, of course, upon what exercise I am doing. But I like to lift heavy and think you should too. What "lifting heavy" means to me is this:

For any particular exercise, choose a weight at which you can do 5-8 reps while preserving good form. If you can do more than 10 reps without fatigue, you need to up the weight. If you cannot reach 5 reps with good form, you need to decrease the weight. I like to do 3 sets of each exercise, 5-8 reps per set, at whatever is the right weight for me to hit that range.

As you get stronger, you can use the same criterion to gauge when it's time to increase the weight you are using on a particular exercise. Don't be afraid to challenge your body, either.

That's it - it's that simple. Just remember that different exercises work different muscle groups, and so the right weight for one exercise might not be the right weight for a different exercise.

this is pretty much what my trainer tells me also.......
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy since I recovered from knee surgery at the end of Feb, so mid April maybe?

Squat 90kgs (198lbs) x 8
    Over Head Press 45kgs (99lbs) x 6
    Deadlift 85kgs (187lbs) x 5 -- I'm having grip issues.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Okay... follow-up question here.... do you EVER reach a point where you DON'T keep increasing weight? I mean, isn't there a point where you're nice and fit, your muscles are strong and defined... why do you keep increasing weight then? (and please, I am looking for info, not to be jumped on.... I have just started weight lifting so I have a lot of newbie questions, so take them as such, okay?)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't want to put a limit on how much weight I'll stop at. My goal is to keep seeing progression in some form. Currently it's around 80 for bench, 75-80 overhead press, 140 deadlift.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Don't put a limit. At some point, barbells become easier thand dummbbels. I would say I'm an average woman and my highest deadlift was 250. I gave up lifting for a while so didn't treat a chance to go higher. My squats were lower but my depth has never been that great so I try working on that.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Just because you're getting stronger and you can lift heavier doesn't necessarily mean your muscles are bigger. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about going too heavy on my lifts that I wont want to keep adding weight. I don't know why I would. I would like to show progress in some form or another forever. otherwise what's the point?