Get Fit or Get Thin?

Options
People want to lose weight for all kinds of reasons; to get healthy, so they can look great in their sunbathing suit for their holiday, for health reasons, etc.

I, personally, am trying to lose weight to get fit again. I was so fit when I was younger; karate, football, Cadets, etc. Being married and content (with a trained Chef no less!) has made me pile on the pounds and I was at my heaviest around 2 months ago. I don't want to be thin or anything like that, I just want to be at a healthy weight where joining a career that involves a need to be fit is an option for me again.

What I want to know if why you guys are trying to lose weight!

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I had both knees replaced this past winter, and I want to keep them as long as possible so I don't have to go through the surgeries again! Less weight means less wear and tear on the joints.

And I'm tired of feeling like I'm always the biggest person in the room!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I want to be fit. while I do want to lose weight, I'm not mortally focused on my scale. I'm more focused on things like: can I run further this week than last, is my strength training improving, How many times a week am I working out. I've found that my weight loss is not as fast, but boy so my clothes fit differently!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I would or could lose weight. I just wanted to be healthy and fit enough to run a 5k. And then I kept going.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get fit, but thinner in the process......

I can't necessarily control how much lbs come off each week, or where they will come off of, but I CAN control if I workout, the type of workout I do, the intensity of the workouts, etc.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

What I want to know if why you guys are trying to lose weight!

I want to watch my children grow up and eventually get married... I want to be able to run with my grandchildren... I want to be able to breathe now... I want to feel good about myself... I want to feel pretty... I want to be able to go to work (I am a registered nurse) and not feel like a hypocrite and tell my patients about the need to exercise and loose weight... I like being able to go to work and do my job without pain...

I am doing fairly well... I have lost 70+#... and no longer require meds for diabetes... I can mountain climb and hike and bike... my dr says I am the fittest fat person she knows and she just loves to see my blood work and vitals (last visit bp was 118/64, hr 68 and that was going in htere in intense pain from a strained/broken foot)
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have to travel four hours to a city to shop for work-worthy clothes in my size...I am uncomfortable on airplanes...I am out of breath after two flights of stairs...my feet and knees hurt...and I want to enjoy my life! For me, it's about getting healthy, but of course vanity is tied up in it too...it would be nice to get a compliment when wearing a new outfit.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    How about getting sexy? Basically I have never been at a healthy weight since puberty. So I want to discover the woman I was meant to be. :)
  • CoachAnnika
    CoachAnnika Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fit, Healthy & Happy :)
  • Ruxie
    Ruxie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I want to lose the baby weight. I have always LOVED exercise, but until I had kids I never knew how much advantage I should have taken when I had loads of time that I could have spent doing it!! Thanks to my friend George, I figured out that if I started getting on my elliptical even if it was only for ten minutes when the kids were doing something else that it was a start, and since then I've kept on going! I have run 3 5k races this year and lost 25 lbs! I am glad that my partner also enjoys doing things like walking and running, and I have found some nice friends in my office who also have found a way to make fitness part of their lives. Recently I've even got my mom and sister into doing some weekly workouts and everyone's feeling better!

I doubt I'll ever be "thin" but I think when I keep up my efforts I will become healthy, and I look forward to that immensely!

Reading everyone's stories is really inspiring!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Both. I used to be thin, and I want that back, but I want more than that now. I want to be healthy. I want to have the energy to really enjoy life.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I want to lose the weight just for losing it. I don't care so much about being healthy, I am healthy now. I have no health problems, but I don't want to get any either. I just want to lose weight and be skinny so my anxiety subsides. Sick of getting panic attacks when I go out because of how disgusting I look.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Fit. I play rugby and I want to be able to destroy on the pitch :devil:
    But, besides that, I'd rather be fit than skinny fat.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    BOTH! For me one comes with the other. Its a nice transformation! :smile:
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I say fit is way better than skinny. It is about the way you feel, I first started with losing weight and lost about 25 or so pounds now I am the weight I want BUT it is time to get some muscle definition. After the Marines, my knees have not been the same. However, I can still do stuff and I plan to, if that means gain weight but look fit, then so be it. You can lose weight just by controlling what you beat, but to have definition and really be overall healthy and have energy, IMO you need the exercise!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thin with a side of fit. Just my preference.
  • fairyT83
    fairyT83 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I desperately want a child, hopefully this will help. Also to be fit and a little bit hot :wink:
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I say both, one is not exclusive of the other. For me it's a matter of returning back to who I was.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I want to be as hot as I used to be. I want my acid reflux and poor circulation under control. I want to be happy with my wedding pictures, and I want to stop feeling like the biggest person in the room. For me this is a life style change. If I don't lose weight every week that's ok-because I'm re learning how to be healthy.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thin until I hit my goal weight then after I'm hoping to add muscle weight. So that means heavy on the cardio for now, then bulk up with the weights after my goal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The weight on the scale means absolutely nothing to me as long as I'm fit and happy with what I see reflected in the mirror. My goal is related to bodyfat percentage, not a number on the scale. Slim with low bodyfat looks better than skinny with high bodyfat. We don't walk around in public with a scale number floating over our head, we walk around with the body we've shaped - nobody sees the scale number, you either look fit or you don't.