• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    RIP. Favorite line: "Hey Harry, did NASA find oil on Uranus?!" - Armageddon

:laugh: He was a funny guy
  • missionmeltdown
    missionmeltdown Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very sad. I've been singing "Leaving on a jet plane" in a really really deep voice since I heard the news.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Just read that actor Michael Clarke Duncan died. this morning He had a massive heart attack a few weeks ago and never recovered. He was a very muscular guy, like a bodybuilder. How does someone in that kind of shape have a heart attack and die at 54?? I just don't understand.
    Atherosclerosis affects all people who eat animal based foods, regardless of fitness level.

^^^this^^ my total cholesterol dropped 50 points went I went vegan back in April...it had been above 200 as a vegetarian!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Let's remember that a lot of athletes die young due to heart issues ---everything in moderation including exercise :(
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Very sad. I've been singing "Leaving on a jet plane" in a really really deep voice since I heard the news.

Loved him in Armageddon
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    A high school friend of mine passed away at 19 because of a heart attack. He was an all star Rugby player.

The heart attack was the result of a heart defect.

Maybe it's the same for Mr Duncan
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    People die. They health doesn't always matter. But he was probably overweight. He weighed over 300 pounds. I had never even heard of him but drugs are always possible in these things. He went vegetarian I guess. Don't know when he did that or why. But that's no guarantee of health either. He may have simply had a bad heart. He perhaps was born with a bad heart. I guess people will know more later.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Probably just bad luck..
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    that is sad, i liked him and so did my kids. its no age at all to die, blimey! but nothing really shocks me anymore i have worked for the ambulance service for the past 11 years, the amount of seemingly fit young people that die, its one of the things that make me want to get thinner and fitter now before its too late.

the actor seemed a big guy though, i mean tall and in the Green Mile he was overweight. i saw a documentary a little while ago, they were showing the fat that people carry on the inside of their organs, even very thin people were not really healthy because of their lifestyles.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's not a question of longevity but rather of quality. This man was in excellent shape, he made how many movies? He made people laugh, smile and cry by playing characters on film. I know very little about him or his personal life but I'm pretty sure the life he enjoyed before his death was pretty good.

And then there are people like me. Yes, my heart is quite fine. My cholesterol is fine. My blood pressure is fine. My blood work, with the exception of vitamin D (I live in Oregon) is all fine. I live in chronic pain and weigh over 500 pounds. Longevity runs in both sides of my family. The average age of demise is 93. Do you think I want to live into my 90's being morbidly obese? Suffering from chronic pain? Not being able to do many of the things I want to be able to do? That's the result of doing nothing. Sure, you may live longer, but do you really want to?
  • TyFit08
    Options
    People die. They health doesn't always matter. But he was probably overweight. He weighed over 300 pounds. I had never even heard of him but drugs are always possible in these things. He went vegetarian I guess. Don't know when he did that or why. But that's no guarantee of health either. He may have simply had a bad heart. He perhaps was born with a bad heart. I guess people will know more later.

Maybe he did have a bad heart, but I doubt he would be considered overweight. Yes he was about 300lbs, but he was also 6'5 and was extremely muscular. Maybe to achieve and maintain that build over the years he did some unhealthy things, who knows.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Could have been anything from heavy steroid use to a virus to an unknown birth defect, could happen to any of us, that's why I alwayscsay, bury your skeletons deep....lol.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I have read that hard core steroid use can cause heart problems. His massive size could mean he may have used them at some point. and even being a vegetarian now, wasn't enough to make up for the damage of his youth. I saw an interview he did just a month or so before his heart attack and he was still very muscular and clearly maintained his physique.
  • banshishi
    Options
    Tragic, loved him in green mile. Isn't just so frustrating that a guy that works out, loses weight, tries to eat well dies so young, and yet I know guys, that have smoked, drank in excess and eaten everything that stayed still long enough to be fried...and live to be octogenarian. Such is the human condition.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! This is a shock!!!!
  • RickBriggs
    Options
    DOA from DNA
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    It's really too bad because he was such a good actor and person. He loved everyone and appreciated so much. He will be dearly missed.
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    its so so sad my gosh god bless him and his family <3 R.I.P Michael Clarke Duncan
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already mentioned Green Mile and Armageddon...but I feel the need to give him a shout-out for another excellent role...Leo, on The Finder! ♥
    I hope they don't replace him with another actor. He WAS Leo. NOBODY else can play that character.:cry:
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just read that actor Michael Clarke Duncan died. this morning He had a massive heart attack a few weeks ago and never recovered. He was a very muscular guy, like a bodybuilder. How does someone in that kind of shape have a heart attack and die at 54?? I just don't understand.
    Atherosclerosis affects all people who eat animal based foods, regardless of fitness level.

He had been a vegetarian for the past 3 years. He said he thought he was in the best shape of his life.