why??

Options

Replies

• Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So many wonderful replies, hard to choose just one to quote.
    Seriously this is why so many people yo yo diet their lives away. I've never given up a single thing I enjoy eating. If sugar made you hold on to fat, then my biology must be special. Started out at 32% BF and am now down to 24%. However I am not a 'special snowflake"

The 43lbs lost are never coming back, because the way I'm eating now is sustainable for the rest of my life. I don't need to binge...have a cheat day...stress about going over my calories because it's all there for me to enjoy when I want. As long as I continue to follow the simple math formula of calories IN...calories OUT. No worries.

Much happier since I learned this approach on this website. True loss has slowed, but I also have gotten very near goal weight and am pleased with progress. I'm not on a "diet" I incorporated more healthy food and monitor portion sizes and still eat junk. Eating junk is at times an excersize in self control and that is entirely on me, not because my body stores fat differently.
    Thank God you here to set us straight. I guess I can go cancel my appointments with my doctor, nutritionist, and shrink! :flowerforyou:

Haha, lmao!
    I can't even read your OP it is so terribly written.
    So I am assuming you have no idea what you are talking about.

I really had difficulty understanding some of it myself, glad to know its not just me. Typos and basic grammar errors do not reduce validity in some posts, this one... Well it looks like most are taking it as seriously as they should.

I think that this is just a rant based on the posters personal experience, and unless they can post literature substantiating these claims I'll only take it as just that. Maybe the literature would enlighten those of us who are having difficulty with understanding the post due to the writing.
    why did I look at this? :explode:
    Haha, think it could have been intended to annoy, if it was a genuine article intended to help it would have had a more specific title.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Why do some people still refuse to eat healthy or healthier and than they complain about gaining weight their are hormones in your body that act differently to food if you ate a twinkie. or a candy bard it would spike your insulin.. make you store fat no matter what.. If you ate some fish with veggies.. It would keep your insulin normal and say you those fat stores.. It has a lot more to do with than just counting calories ITS also about what you put in your body that gives you succcess being healthy makes you healthy on the inside and out.. your body will start running like its supposed to... I mean once in a while Or 1 day out of every-week i say hey yeah eat what you want but everyday.. No that wont work...

I hear what your saying... and I do agree.. about the eating healthier part.. you do feel better.. exercise better and it helps to Loose wt.. cuz basically sugar turns into fat into the body (un-used sugar).. (sugar not burned)...but I also think if somebody loves ice cream at nt and portions it they will be fine and loose wt... hafta have some variety/out.. but smart choices too! like esp portion control.. and all that.. today at the store i almost bought these cake fancy things.. made in italy.. cake/strawberry.. had em in my cart too!.. went to pay.. and though "egh I dont need that.. wont help me loose wt.. and if i get em I may want a lot more then just one!! so I put em back... but that was a personal CHOICE... and noticing my will power is getting better and better.. but if I ran out and got ice cream it wouldnt be 'bad'.. if i tracked it.. just personal choices and control and variety keeps things sane and able to keep at it w/out giving up!
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    To all the people craving Twinkies:

They're not as good as you remember. Really. I had one a couple of years ago in a fit of childhood nostalgia and it was barely edible.
  • smurlene
    Options
    Why do you care what other people do or think? It's really none of your concern.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Candy bard: "Thou art sweeter than a bee's honey on a summer's day...."

OP, to answer your question, I suspect it is because many of us grew up eating candy and sweets, chippies and chocolate and still enjoy them. They are part of our society, our reward system, part of the way we show our love or concern. Food is not just about sustenance, it's social and most people don't want to give that up.

That's not to say that eating food that doesn't offer much nutrition is a smart thing to do - but it goes part of the way to explain WHY we do it.

I also agree with the comment about yo-yo dieting. Every time I've set out to follow a strict "diet" which restricts certain foods, I've failed at it is a very short space of time. Using MFP to track calories helps me to monitor the impact of those less-than-healthy foods and to moderate my intake. Perhaps I'm foolish and weak-minded - but each of us has to find a way of eating that can work for the long term. What works for me may not be your cup of tea - but that's OK!
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am confused and now have a headache! Who has my ibuprofen?
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Why do some people still refuse to eat healthy or healthier and than they complain about gaining weight their are hormones in your body that act differently to food if you ate a twinkie. or a candy bard it would spike your insulin.. make you store fat no matter what.. If you ate some fish with veggies.. It would keep your insulin normal and say you those fat stores.. It has a lot more to do with than just counting calories ITS also about what you put in your body that gives you succcess being healthy makes you healthy on the inside and out.. your body will start running like its supposed to... I mean once in a while Or 1 day out of every-week i say hey yeah eat what you want but everyday.. No that wont work...
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    Not sure I've ever had a candy bard :laugh: But if it's anything like a Twix, I'm in! (J/K I havent had one of those in many moons!)
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    I do notice if I have a day or so of "unhealthy" eating and I attempt a workout that I do not have the same performance. However, I agree with most that in the long run you need to find a balance that you can live with forever. If you can sustain 100% clean eating all the time, then by all means go ahead with that. I myself love food too much and prefer the smaller portion aspect instead of cutting out. But I can see where you are coming from.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Why are we all here on MFP then? Simply put because we don't always know what we're doing. Some times people "live to eat" and don't "eat to live." Raised on a pleasure/food=love based rewards system. Live in a society that values the wrong things food-wise. Take your pick. You've obviously found your food bliss and your pulpit and I'm glad you've decided you've figured out the mysteries of health eating. Don't really care for your tone.

It really isn't a refusal to eat health per se. It's a transition. How about instead of mocking people for being lost and confused, you put out your hand in a kind manner and say, "follow me, I'll show you a better way to eat to live."??
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    To all the people craving Twinkies:

They're not as good as you remember. Really. I had one a couple of years ago in a fit of childhood nostalgia and it was barely edible.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TRUE...............THAT.
    I did the same thing. I hadn't had one in like 20 years. Then one day, when I was still one of those disgusting people who didn't have to try and be thin............. I saw them at the check-out at the store. They were staring at me. Daring me. Taunting me. SOOOO I bought one. I was so excited I opened it up and took a bite, then looked arond for something to spit it into. WTF happened to the Twinkie???? I think the stuff in the middle was lard or something, and the cake part...............well that sure as h*ll was NOT cake. We aren't missing anything people!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Seriously this is why so many people yo yo diet their lives away. I've never given up a single thing I enjoy eating. If sugar made you hold on to fat, then my biology must be special. Started out at 32% BF and am now down to 24%. However I am not a 'special snowflake"

The 43lbs lost are never coming back, because the way I'm eating now is sustainable for the rest of my life. I don't need to binge...have a cheat day...stress about going over my calories because it's all there for me to enjoy when I want. As long as I continue to follow the simple math formula of calories IN...calories OUT. No worries.

This is truth.
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I got scared they dont make Twinkies anymore and that I should stock up on deep fried ones at the fair in two weeks!!! OOOOOO!!!!!!

:P
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    They are probably understimating calorie intake or overestimating exercise and that's why they aren't losing. I remember how sad someone I know was when I insisted she had to measure her food initially (unless it was prepackaged or a piece of fruit or something like that) if she really wanted to lose weight, and she didn't believe me, so I showed her with a measuring cup what one serving was. Looked a little pitiful in the bowl, to be honest. There are probably a lot of people who don't realize how important measuring or weighing your food (or somehow accurately approximating serving size) is when you first start out, and if they are new to weight loss, they may not be ready to let go of eating favorite foods more than they should (should being whatever works for your macros/health/ability to stick to it/personal preference.)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    why??

Why - do you care?
    Why - is it any of your business what anyone else eats?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    People complain in general , they always find one thing or another.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I can't even read your OP it is so terribly written.
    So I am assuming you have no idea what you are talking about.
    WTG, Sarge
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Yummy in a stupid, self-absorbed reason. You are what you eat!
    If anyone is jonesing for 244# of Swiss Roll/Reese's peanut buttercup/Breyer's ice cream, drop me a PM. :glasses:

I'm in. I get 244# of EACH right?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Meah I just eat within my calories, I refuse to deny myself my favorite things. I don't go hog wild I just chose to have my favorite things once in awhile. I eat better then I did 2yrs ago, but I still don't eat clean or healthy all the time. Today was probably my healthiest eating habit in a week or 2.

OH and My ticker speaks for itself. I have lost weight and still losing weight. I have 15 more to go, and I will get it off and I will keep it off. Not by your method though.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    They still make twinkies!? OK ok,,, I'm from Australia... and will do just about anything for someone to send me a couple (just a few not a whole box) of twinkies... I had one from a house guest when I was younger and it just wasn't enough... if your up for being a legend send me a message :P

Not only do they still make twinkies now they even have chocolate filled twinkies!!!!! :drinker: