Anyone belong to Crossfit?

Options
I'm considering joining the Crossfit gym in LA. Anyone already belong? Would love some insight about it.

Replies

• jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Most offer a free day to try it out, or a bring your friend day if you have a friend there. I do the WODs here and their at home mixed in with what I normally do, cant afford the gym near me.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Make sure you join a good gym. It pays to do your research. Many of the "certified" Crossfit trainers have no professional fitness background. They're just Crossfit fanatics that paid a bundle for a weekend conference and have no idea how to coach and modify their program for individuals. You have to make sure your instructor has top notch qualifications or you have a good change of getting seriously injured.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I wish.. However I can't pay for almost 200$ a month. Way too high for me.. :(
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Coincidence that the title reads like someone asking if anyone belongs to a cult? ;)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing a search. I've explained my position as someone who used to do Crossfit and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    yeah some say its " cult" like.. in that they Are mostly Paleo, and they are a community..hang out with eachother a lot ect.. but.. I think its mostly about just having similarities and similar goals.. Usually brings people together.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I would suggest doing a search. I've explained my position as someone who used to do Crossfit and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it.

I think it really depends on the person, though. It's olympic style training. it's really not for everyone. It's pretty hardcore. My friend does it, she LOVES it.. but its brutal...and expensive.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    There may be some olympic lifts performed in some fashion at times, but I don't think I would call it "olympic style training" If you want to do olympic lifts, learn how to do them properly and incorporate them into a proper training routine with a proper plan for progression.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    There may be some olympic lifts performed in some fashion at times, but I don't think I would call it "olympic style training" If you want to do olympic lifts, learn how to do them properly and incorporate them into a proper training routine with a proper plan for progression.

Hm, well that's what they are calling it at the gym my friend goes to. There is a crap-ton of lifting.. I hear about it all day and night.. seems to be the thing crossfitters do... talk about crossfit non stop lol!
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Below is a PM I received from another user regarding Crossfit.

After your comments on the Crossfit thread I started looking deeper into the program.

I have not spent the last 2 months, and still, learning proper form and building my strength to throw it away. It's not the personalized program they present it to be. They know what's best for me, not me. Mmmmkthxbye.

So, thank you. Your opinion wasn't an opinion at all. You were just, right
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    I LOVE olympic lifting. It was my favorite part of Crossfit. We would often do olympic style lifts before a workout. That isn't my issue with Crossfit. My issue is doing certain movements 'for time' which really shouldn't be done 'for time' and results in injuries.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My son joined a 'box' and he has gotten great results and loves it. He is the kind who is not good at motivating himself and working out alone, and that is why CrossFit was such a good fit for him. He really likes the whole group/camaraderie dynamic of it.
    I gotta take issue too with these people who say: 'Oooo. Be careful! CrossFit trainers don't know what they are doing.' You can't tell. The trainers at my son's box actually have physical ed and physical therapy backgrounds. You can hurt yourself doing anything if you are not a little careful. In general, the lifts they have you do in CrossFit are not done with enough weight to be highly dangerous, since you are combining it with a bunch of cardio.
    Shoot, I see guys at my YMCA who are a menace not just to themselves but to those around them. Should we, therefore, say: 'Oooo. Don't go to the Y. People have hurt themselves there.'
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    The 'box' I went to also had people with physical ed training in the past. I honestly didn't feel something was amiss until 8-10 months in, when I was being told to push to a point that would cause an injury. I just think there are better options out there. Obviously people can be a menace to themselves but if you are paying a premium for guidance, that guidance shouldn't be something that is known to cause injury. There are some good aspects of Crossfit but I personally feel that the bad outweighs the good.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i like the idea of crossfit, but it's becoming a franchise and a lot of gyms are popping up to capitalize on it. check out crossfit.com and look over the WODs. i pick a few every week to try because they dont take very long. my whole problem with it is that if you arent trained to do the lifts already, you get thrown to the wolves. if you are already efficient at them, you dont need to pay $200+ for someone to tell you to do a squat.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    i like the idea of crossfit, but it's becoming a franchise and a lot of gyms are popping up to capitalize on it. check out crossfit.com and look over the WODs. i pick a few every week to try because they dont take very long. my whole problem with it is that if you arent trained to do the lifts already, you get thrown to the wolves. if you are already efficient at them, you dont need to pay $200+ for someone to tell you to do a squat.

yeah see this is mny problem. I am 0% trained lol. And I still have a hard time paying 200 a month...it's just too much for me.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think about joining all the time, but cant afford it :(
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I wish.. However I can't pay for almost 200$ a month. Way too high for me.. :(

go to bodyrock.tv. do the workouts. they are free and they will kick your *kitten*. also, most workouts include modifications.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    It is expensive. But at the one near my house (run, by the way, by a guy who trained military folks, and has been in the biz a long long time), most members go for a few months, take a month off, go another month, save up $$$ and come back. Everyone is month-to-month, 'cause few folks can afford $150 a pop.

Some even have more than just free "days" -- ours allows a free week's trial, and you can come as much as you want in that week.
    I actually just won a free month by winning a "strongwoman" challenge they set up during one of their open houses.

As with anything, I agree w/those who say "do the research." You gotta trust the people you're working with if you commit to something like that.

Good luck.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Make sure you join a good gym. It pays to do your research. Many of the "certified" Crossfit trainers have no professional fitness background. They're just Crossfit fanatics that paid a bundle for a weekend conference and have no idea how to coach and modify their program for individuals. You have to make sure your instructor has top notch qualifications or you have a good change of getting seriously injured.

^^^^THIS!!!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who is a crossfit trainer and a wonderful woman. She's definitely fit! Like, seriously! She is a mom of 6 kids. . .homeschools 5 (the oldest just started going to a Christian HS) and she trains many mornings a week. She's tried several times to get me to join, but I just don't have the time or resources. And, it seems to focus on competition a bit more than suits my personality. But for those who are motivated by comptetition. . .this place will motivate!!!

Do be careful about the group you sign up with. As with all things, there are good ones and not so good ones. My friend left her original "box" due to some issues that came up after she'd been there almost a year or so. However, that facility still seems to be going strong and people are getting fit.

And, they will encourage you to "eat clean" or "paleo". . . I am not able to work that in, but it seems to be healthy for the friends I know (in addition to my friend who is a trainer) that have been crossfitting and following the paleo eating concept.

Good luck in deciding!!! I, personally, can not afford the costs, times, or dietary changes they encourage.