Anyone belong to Crossfit?

Options

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    My son joined a 'box' and he has gotten great results and loves it. He is the kind who is not good at motivating himself and working out alone, and that is why CrossFit was such a good fit for him. He really likes the whole group/camaraderie dynamic of it.
    I gotta take issue too with these people who say: 'Oooo. Be careful! CrossFit trainers don't know what they are doing.' You can't tell. The trainers at my son's box actually have physical ed and physical therapy backgrounds. You can hurt yourself doing anything if you are not a little careful. In general, the lifts they have you do in CrossFit are not done with enough weight to be highly dangerous, since you are combining it with a bunch of cardio.
    Shoot, I see guys at my YMCA who are a menace not just to themselves but to those around them. Should we, therefore, say: 'Oooo. Don't go to the Y. People have hurt themselves there.'

The fact is lots of people get injured doing crossfit and less get injured doing standard weight lifting that just about any other sport there is. Yes you CAN get injured doing anything, but more people DO get injured doing crossfit.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My son joined a 'box' and he has gotten great results and loves it. He is the kind who is not good at motivating himself and working out alone, and that is why CrossFit was such a good fit for him. He really likes the whole group/camaraderie dynamic of it.
    I gotta take issue too with these people who say: 'Oooo. Be careful! CrossFit trainers don't know what they are doing.' You can't tell. The trainers at my son's box actually have physical ed and physical therapy backgrounds. You can hurt yourself doing anything if you are not a little careful. In general, the lifts they have you do in CrossFit are not done with enough weight to be highly dangerous, since you are combining it with a bunch of cardio.
    Shoot, I see guys at my YMCA who are a menace not just to themselves but to those around them. Should we, therefore, say: 'Oooo. Don't go to the Y. People have hurt themselves there.'

The fact is lots of people get injured doing crossfit and less get injured doing standard weight lifting that just about any other sport there is. Yes you CAN get injured doing anything, but more people DO get injured doing crossfit.

Figures please. Or source of this information. Anecdotal stories do not make a fact.
    I tore my ACL playing soccer. I have heard of many others who have done the same. Does that mean soccer is a REALLY dangerous sport? No. Only reasonably so.
    But if I listened to "Bob sprained his ankle really bad" I'd have the impression that soccer is a carnage factory.
  • mollieprice331
    mollieprice331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    haha, I was thinking the same thing!
  • mollieprice331
    mollieprice331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Coincidence that the title reads like someone asking if anyone belongs to a cult? ;)

I was thinking that exact same thing! Gotta love it!
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Figures please. Or source of this information. Anecdotal stories do not make a fact.
    I tore my ACL playing soccer. I have heard of many others who have done the same. Does that mean soccer is a REALLY dangerous sport? No. Only reasonably so.
    But if I listened to "Bob sprained his ankle really bad" I'd have the impression that soccer is a carnage factory.

Quoted from this link http://www.thedreamlounge.net/crossfit-injury/

But … you have no PROOF. Show me PROOF (otherwise I’ll just keep doing CrossFit™)
    The CrossFit.com official message board (link) has entire sections dedicated to reported injuries.

I don’t know what further proof you could possibly need when you have that staring you in the face.

There are over 31,000 posts in the injury section alone, which only refer to injuries that are being reported there, and not reported exclusively elsewhere, never mind an unknown number of unreported injuries occurring every year.

These people have dug their own grave.

You want studies?

Newsflash : studies are measurements of data already occurring.

A 50 year study of CrossFit™ protocol that starts tomorrow, and agrees with what I’m saying in this post, means that for the next 50 years, hundreds of thousands if not millions of people will be performing a supposed exercise program with a 100% chance of injury.

It does not suddenly gain this aspect when the lab rats come to a conclusion. It was true the entire ****ing time, and before they even started.

More

http://physicalliving.com/crossfit-at-its-worst-dont-try-this-at-home/

http://www.endofthreefitness.com/is-crossfit-injury-ridden/

http://www.tsmethod.com/blog/crossfit-workouts-what-is-wrong-with-crossfit/

You are welcome for me performing the simple task of using Google for you.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    There are the figures. But it makes logical sense why there are so many injuries. It's a fad, which means it's going to attract beginners who've never done many of these workouts and people who are out of shape. Crossfit isn't known for backing down on the intensity and making it appropriate to the individual. There's also a tendency to sacrifice form for speed and endurance. You put an undertrained instructor in there and a lot of people are going to get hurt. Crossfit isn't always dangerous, but given the statistics, it pays to check qualifications.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options

But … you have no PROOF. Show me PROOF (otherwise I’ll just keep doing CrossFit™)
    The CrossFit.com official message board (link) has entire sections dedicated to reported injuries.

I don’t know what further proof you could possibly need when you have that staring you in the face.

There are over 31,000 posts in the injury section alone, which only refer to injuries that are being reported there, and not reported exclusively elsewhere, never mind an unknown number of unreported injuries occurring every year.

You want studies?

A 50 year study of CrossFit™ protocol that starts tomorrow, and agrees with what I’m saying in this post, means that for the next 50 years, hundreds of thousands if not millions of people will be performing a supposed exercise program with a 100% chance of injury.

It does not suddenly gain this aspect when the lab rats come to a conclusion. It was true the entire ****ing time, and before they even started.

More

Dude, those are links to other sites that express the same prejudice you hold. Those are not reputable sources and there are no meaningful injury rates reported there. They are not really even credibly convincing sites, which kinda makes my point for me. These are old-school Gold's Gym trainers and power lifters who are threatened by a perception that what they do is being co-opted by people who just aren't doing it right and couldn't possibly know as much as they do.
    I could show you probably 31,001 reports on myfitnesspal from people who injured themselves running. Every runner I know has -- shin splints, plantar fasciitis, twisted ankles, severe dehydration.
    Really? We should all stop running because it is just too risky?
  • Determinednoob
    Options

You want studies?

More

Dude, those are links to other sites that express the same prejudice you hold. Those are not reputable sources and there are no meaningful injury rates reported there. They are not really even credibly convincing sites, which kinda makes my point for me. These are old-school Gold's Gym trainers and power lifters who are threatened by a perception that what they do is being co-opted by people who just aren't doing it right and couldn't possibly know as much as they do.
    I could show you probably 31,001 reports on myfitnesspal from people who injured themselves running. Every runner I know has -- shin splints, plantar fasciitis, twisted ankles, severe dehydration.
    Really? We should all stop running because it is just too risky?

You say your probably can with no real basis. If you click this link http://www.board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12 you can legitimately find them all right there. And one of those articles talks about 3 pros who all got injuries doing crossfit. Seems pretty legit to me. Crossfit is dumb. Period. There are safer, easier, faster ways to get in as good or better shape.

Kqctx.gif

tumblr_lsktl3hXyt1qjvsoxo1_500.gif

tumblr_lsktl3hXyt1qjvsoxo2_500.gif

cffh3.gif

seao9u.gif

tumblr_lurgsffQUP1qzft56o1_400.gif
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I cant stop laughing! ^^^^^
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    The gifs are hilarious! They do not make your point, however.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There are the figures. But it makes logical sense why there are so many injuries. It's a fad, which means it's going to attract beginners who've never done many of these workouts and people who are out of shape. Crossfit isn't known for backing down on the intensity and making it appropriate to the individual. There's also a tendency to sacrifice form for speed and endurance. You put an undertrained instructor in there and a lot of people are going to get hurt. Crossfit isn't always dangerous, but given the statistics, it pays to check qualifications.

I agree with this post. I was a member of a box for about a year, but I have a weight training (deads, squats, cleans, etc) background dating back to '95, so I "got" what they were doing and was able to catch on pretty quickly. I paid $99 a month because it was a new box and I was one of the ones who joined within 90 days of the grand opening. I would feel bad for the beginners, as they would push themselves in order to "catch up" to the rest, and I would sometimes wince while looking at their poor form. No one wants to be last in a WOD but sometimes it was at the expense of injury. I felt the trainers were good but it was probably extremely difficult to keep an eagle eye out for 20+ people with varying levels of skill at the same time.

I have been injured doing deadlifts before while at my box. I completed a 1RM of 205 and was ok with that and was encouraged to go to 215. (Disclaimer: not blaming the instructor as i agreed to try). I did and strained my back (I don't train with straps or belts). Took me about 2 months to heal. Needless to say, I never did that again. I quit about 3 months later (not because of that, I just got bored with it. My last WOD was done in the cold and rain. I was wiped out after. The next night I said to myself "cotdamn I don't feel like dancing like a f**kin' maniac in the rain anymore" and I just never went back.

Now if I want to do a WOD I just pick one from the crossfit dot com list o' WODS and do it, since i've already been trained in the basics. I enjoy a WOD occasionally. I think a person could do a military style circuit and get some good results as well.

I've noticed that 24 hour fitness even has a space set aside for a crossfit type training circuit. That's pretty cool and I may try it out sometime.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    The gifs are hilarious! They do not make your point, however.

Yeah the other links do though. And honestly I don't care in the slightest if you agree or not. If you have already drank the koolaid and feel like doing it until you get hurt then fine. Hopefully people who haven't been brainwashed into it yet will get a clue and choose a safer and more productive style of exercise.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Actually, Crossfit does advertise itself as making it appropriate for the individual. I was someone who had to do modified workouts. Our trainers did have previous backgrounds in exercise science, PT, etc. Anyway, you saw quite a few injuries, most of them minor. You'd also see some careless people like the ones that would get blood all over a barbell and not clean it up (uhh hello?). Obviously you'd get chewed out if caught but you may not even realize it happened. I feared for my shoulders which was my main concern when I felt an injury was imminent if I continued on. I had been lifting for a while prior to starting so it wasn't entirely new territory and I did take a class to give me the basics as well as ask for tips when I needed them.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've always supported athletes, athletics, sports etc but i'm not a fan of crossfit & can't get past the founder for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyH6M3FjyiY&feature=player_embedded
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    No lift should be performed under a time limit

No lift that your are not proficient in should be done in a WOD or done using "heavy" weight.

No gym should cost $100+

Pull ups should be strict.

Periodization and planning is actually a good thing.

No advanced lifts should be taught to people who haven't mastered the big 3 first.

Just my 2¢
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would like to join or get involved with cross-fit/TRX here in Hawaii...but not on a military installation. :-P
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I would like to join or get involved with cross-fit/TRX here in Hawaii...but not on a military installation. :-P

Why not on base? if you have access to the base, its probably cheeper.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

well said, i couldn't agree more!! if you hurt yourself it's because you're losing form and not taking a break when your body is telling you to take one. crossfitters aren't all about lifting the most or becoming body builders. it's all about being FIT. I'd love to see a meathead come into our box and stick it out for an entire week and then tell us it's ridiculous. i find most people who bash it are the ones who refuse to try it. be it because they KNOW they can't keep up, they feel their fellow muscle heads will make fun of them, or have slammed it so much they have to keep doing it as an excuse not to go and be shut up by the crossfit women who they look down on.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    well said, i couldn't agree more!! if you hurt yourself it's because you're losing form and not taking a break when your body is telling you to take one. crossfitters aren't all about lifting the most or becoming body builders. it's all about being FIT. I'd love to see a meathead come into our box and stick it out for an entire week and then tell us it's ridiculous. i find most people who bash it are the ones who refuse to try it. be it because they KNOW they can't keep up, they feel their fellow muscle heads will make fun of them, or have slammed it so much they have to keep doing it as an excuse not to go and be shut up by the crossfit women who they look down on.

Not everyone who bashes it has never tried it. There are plenty of bodybuilders (men & women) that can hang w/ crossfit for a week. it's not that hard for everybody. The 12 minute workouts are laughable and you have to actually go workout after doing the WOD. I've done crossfit before at my fittest and it made my waist look thick and isn't ideal for any physique competitor. Everyone has a different ideal of what FIT is and that's ok. There's tons of guys who are crossfit or die, eat paleo, compete regionally, nationally etc and drink on the weekends (not paleo when drinkingI i guess). TBH, it's the kind of mentality like yours as you have stated that makes it really annoying for others---you are going to shut up people, others can't keep up etc. Seriously, open up your mind a little.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    [

Actually, the most vocal opponents of Crossfit I know are the ones who used to do CF. Many did it for years, even got the certifications. It was hard mentally for me to leave CF and I struggled with the decision but I knew that it was the best decision.