How do you cook meals with crazy work schedule?

Options

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with a crock pot, I'm not even sure what one is to be honest, I'm intrigued now though and feel the urge to give one a try.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The bad part about Lean Cuisine meals is that they are too tiny, and I have to eat two of them.

These are some great suggestions though.

That is sooo true lol and with the sodium content i really should be eating LESS of them. Going to go food shopping today and cook tonight woot i have today off from work and my kids had their 1st day of school today gives me lots of time to prepare something today.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    for a typical day for me, I'm occupied between work, gym, and family commitments from about 7am-9:30pm every single day, with the exception of Saturdays (free after 2pm) and Sundays (I LIVE FOR SUNDAYS!).

Sunday I will cook for about an hour or so, making Sunday dinner on the stove (with left overs for lunch Monday for both me and my husband), while baking something or another in the oven, and prepping a crockpot meal so I can set it to cook in the morning.

This way, by the time I go to sleep Sunday, I have Sunday done, Monday's food taken care of through dinner and after the gym, left overs from Monday's meal for Tuesday's lunch.

Monday morning, during the getting ready business, I dump all my prepped food into the crockpot, and set it to cook (takes 4 minutes tops). Monday night, after dinner, I pull everything out of the crockpot, and put it away from lunches and dinners the next 2 days.

So, 1 hour of cooking on Sundays plus 4 minutes on Monday = Lunches, dinner, and post workout snack for 4 days. Fridays we usually just do something easy- like rotisserie chicken from Publix grocery store with a pack of frozen veggies, like steamfresh.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I cook day before, pack the food, put in the fridge and take with me next day.
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I work a full time job and have two youngsters under 4 yo. I will make up a couple of bags of beans and a huge batch of home made spaghetti sauce one saturday or sunday every couple of months, and freeze them. They usually will make about 16 low sodium/lower calorie side dishes and about 8 weeks worth of Spaghetti sauce if we eat it once a week. My husband will smoke a bunch of meat on Sundays, and we will use the chicken in our salads for the week and usually have some leftover meat for one or two evening meals. We also buy bags of fish fillets which is good to have once a week. Thank fully we've been raising our little ones to eat whatever we eat so we don't have to make any "kid" friendly food. I also will use the Crock pot occasionally. I don't find cooking after work too terribly difficult so one night is usually some made from scratch pork or chicken. The side dishes were the hardest for me since all the boxed rices and noodles were so high in sodium. I can make roasted sweet potatoes now in 25 minutes and other yummy sides that work well with our new eating style.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I cook once. Usually on Sunday, I'll cook all my meals after going grocery shopping Friday or Saturday. It takes a few hours but I don't have to worry about it all week. I just pull containers out and go.
  • Chgosportsgal
    Options
    Either Friday after work or Saturday morning is my shopping day. Sunday is my prep day, cut the veggies, roast the chicken, etc..
    Then I know I have meals for the week. Love my crock pot too. Need to start using that more for sure !!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It's called planning and millions of people do it.

Plan your menu for the week, buy the necessary ingredients. Prepare the food during the weekend and freeze it

Keep lots of fresh fruits and vegetables on hand so you can prepare a salad or steamed vegetables while reheating the entree. Healthier and a lot less expensive but does require a little more effort.

Yep. This is what I do. If I don't freeze then it is something I prep and can throw in the crockpot.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Crock pot! throw your ingredients in, turn it on for 10 hours, any that are worth buying will stay on the warm setting after that and you have food for all. :D
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with a crock pot, I'm not even sure what one is to be honest, I'm intrigued now though and feel the urge to give one a try.

It can be quite addictive! It makes a mean meal, a hearty marinara or a highly concentrated/full flavored stock!
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I cook batches at the weekend and freeze them into portions for lunches. It is great but I recommend making a few different types of meals so you don't get bored. I always make a soup and a stew. I take it out in the morning and by lunchtime its defrosted for the microwave. You could do the same for your dinner?
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Perplexed at some of the responses.. it's not a contest to see who has the busiest schedule. LMAO. No matter how hectic our lives are, it's hard to eat healthy if you don't plan ahead. What works best for me is planning my week in advance. For my schedule, I like to do this on Saturday morning, then go shopping, then do any prep later that day or on Sunday. The key is to have both a plan in place AND quick and healthy meal options --- because sometimes the plan doesn't work.

Here is a sample of what one of my weeks might look like. There are only 2 "real" cooking days. The other days are using leftovers and boiling pasta.

SAT
    Shopping and planning day - make the menu and list what groceries you need
    Get baby carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc. and cut up for the week.
    Hard boil eggs for breakfasts or quick snacks

SUN
    Make double batch of chicken in crockpot or on grill

MON
    Chicken tacos with leftover chicken
    (cut up chicken, roll in tortilla with veggies and salsa)

TUES
    Chicken tossed with pasta and sprinkled with parmesan cheese
    Salad

WED
    Turkey chili in the crockpot
    (I put lots of beans and veggies in mine, so I don't need a side)

THUR
    Large salad with leftover chili on top

FRI
    Breakfast for dinner (scrambled eggs, toast and side of fruit)

FASTER THAN FAST FOOD
    - Stop at the grocery and get a rotisserie chicken (or some of those precooking boneless skinless breasts they have in the frozen section) and a bag of salad. Remove skin of chicken.
    - Scrambled eggs and toast
    - Mix a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and a jar of salsa - have on top of salad, roll up in a tortilla
    - Sliced veggies (that you cut up on a previous day) and hummus
    - Peanut butter and jelly sandwich or lunchmeat sandwich

Hope this helps! Thanks for asking this question. Got some great ideas from others, too.
  • jessica_seyler
    Options
    I definitely need help in this area as well! I am a full time college student with two part- time jobs, one thats around 20 hours a week and another 8 hrs on the weekend, and school club activities 15+ hrs a week, 1 hr workouts at 530 am every weekday morning, yoga on weekends, and let's not forget partying! (no alcohol though) XD these suggestions really helped! definitely investing in a slow cooker!
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    One day a week I spend approx 3 hrs preparing food for the week:

I boil 1 dozen eggs

I peel and put in individual bags: carrots, all colors of peppers, cucumbers

Cook 2 meals that can be used for several days. A fave is green beans, red potatoes and ham cooked together (and while that is cooking, you have all the other weekly stuff done)

OR

Grill some chicken breasts or turkey burgers or roast a turkey or chicken to use during the week. Then all you have to do is steam some veggies or toss a salad.

The crockpot is great for meals too:

Place a pork tenderloin in crockpot, a bag of sauerkraut and pepper the top. Close lid and cook on high for 8 hrs.

OR: Pork tenderloin in crockpot over night, shred it pull with forks to make sandwich style, put back in crockpot and put whatever barbeque or other type sauce you want on it for sandwiches, let heat clear through and use for sandwiches for the week. Freezes well too.

**Also every fall I spend 5-6 hrs and make the following in 1 day and place in individual servings in the freezer:**

1 huge pot of vegetable soup
    1 huge pot of navy beans with ham
    1 huge lasagna
    1 huge pot of chili

I hope this helps others because it is hard to try to work, have a family, take care of a house plus work out and eat healthy. We can do this...WE ROCK!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    20+ hours a week?? I was a single mom of 2 with 2 jobs (one 40 hr a week, plus a part time) at one time and I cooked dinner most nights. Of course, I didn't have money to buy premade meals so that probably helped a lot. :ohwell:

Cook ahead and freeze your own microwave meals. Cook big pots of soup or stew. Cook a big roast and prepare quick meals with the leftovers for days (sandwiches, salads with meat slices, shredded meat tacos, mix the meat into a pasta sauce, etc.) Instand brown rice and canned beans can make a quick and heatlhy meal. Stir fry is quick and healthy. Omelettes are too.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Mass food production on your day off. Pre-cook your protein with enough servings for 5 dinners for two. I buy the value packs of boneless skinless chicken breasts, add some kind of marinade and bake in the oven. I have my first portion that day, then put the rest in freezer bags and freeze. Take out each portion to defrost in the fridge int he mornings, then prepare your meal to your liking at night. With just plain chicken breasts you can have meals of salads, pastas, fajitas, stir fry, sandwiches, or just serve with steamed veggies and starch (if you are eating starch).

Buy pre-cut salad and pre-cut fresh veggies for reduced prep time. You may even consider something like the frozen "steamers" veggie sides available at the grocery store.

Fish is also very fast cooking. Grilled, roasted or pan fried, it only takes 5-7 minutes to have your fish ready. Start your fish, put your bag of frozen veggies in the microwave, toss a pre-cut salad and you've got a fresh and healthy dinner in less than 10 minutes.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was home and we were transporting her to and from school where we lived out of district, I worked 50+ hours, on top of two music practices per week (2hrs each - my practices), the gym at 4:45am, and my commute to and from work was 45 minutes each day total - I did bulk cooking on either Saturday or Sunday.

3 Gal marinara
    10# individual meatloaves
    10# meatballs
    10# seasoned burger patties (made my own, nothing boxed in my house - ever!)
    3 Gal Chicken stock
    3 Gal Beef stock
    5 Gal homemade chicken vegetable soup
    10# compound butter all different varieties per pound
    I will purchase bulk meats on a quarterly basis and break them down myself - alot of work but the savings is so much more important:
    1- 50# case of boneless skinless chicken breast
    1- 40# case of Beef eye round
    1- 40# case of pork tenderloin
    1- 25# case of all natural pork belly - to make my own bacon
    1- 25# case of whole roaster chickens and turkeys
    Seafood was purchased the day we planned to consume it and it had to be a fresh shipment that-day, otherwise I will go elsewhere for my seafood purchase

I purchase alot of fresh produce: tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, rainbow bell peppers, white onions, white mushrooms, large portabella mushrooms, about 5# garlic (some for roasting, some for compound butter, some as is), about 10# butter, olive oil up the ying-yang, fresh herbs, dried herbs and seasonings, odds and ends like worcestershire sauce, kikkoman, and I always love me a good trip to the Asian market for my fresh ginger, lemongrass, mint leaves, scallions, mung beans, daikon, baby bok choy, shang hai celery, napa cabbage.... some of the vegetables gets prepped ahead while the rest remain whole.

During the week, I will take out a protein that I have previously seasoned to let it thaw in the fridge (most require a two-day thaw), by the time I get home, about 80% of everything is already prepped and ready to cook. Dinner is ready on average in 20-30 minutes.

20hrs is really nothing, even with kids to be honest.... that would feel like a vacation to me! LOL!

And I thought I was over-scheduled and hyper organized! You put me to shame. :blushing:
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I second these three options:

Crockpot (The best option! There are so many great recipes, and even better, only one dish!)

George Foreman Grill (Cooks things fast, and less fat)

Cooking ahead on less busy days, look up freezer friendly meals.

I also buy a lot of lean deli slices, and frozen veggies in steam bags. Makes for an easy quick meal after a long day!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was home and we were transporting her to and from school where we lived out of district, I worked 50+ hours, on top of two music practices per week (2hrs each - my practices), the gym at 4:45am, and my commute to and from work was 45 minutes each day total - I did bulk cooking on either Saturday or Sunday.

3 Gal marinara
    10# individual meatloaves
    10# meatballs
    10# seasoned burger patties (made my own, nothing boxed in my house - ever!)
    3 Gal Chicken stock
    3 Gal Beef stock
    5 Gal homemade chicken vegetable soup
    10# compound butter all different varieties per pound
    I will purchase bulk meats on a quarterly basis and break them down myself - alot of work but the savings is so much more important:
    1- 50# case of boneless skinless chicken breast
    1- 40# case of Beef eye round
    1- 40# case of pork tenderloin
    1- 25# case of all natural pork belly - to make my own bacon
    1- 25# case of whole roaster chickens and turkeys
    Seafood was purchased the day we planned to consume it and it had to be a fresh shipment that-day, otherwise I will go elsewhere for my seafood purchase

I purchase alot of fresh produce: tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, rainbow bell peppers, white onions, white mushrooms, large portabella mushrooms, about 5# garlic (some for roasting, some for compound butter, some as is), about 10# butter, olive oil up the ying-yang, fresh herbs, dried herbs and seasonings, odds and ends like worcestershire sauce, kikkoman, and I always love me a good trip to the Asian market for my fresh ginger, lemongrass, mint leaves, scallions, mung beans, daikon, baby bok choy, shang hai celery, napa cabbage.... some of the vegetables gets prepped ahead while the rest remain whole.

During the week, I will take out a protein that I have previously seasoned to let it thaw in the fridge (most require a two-day thaw), by the time I get home, about 80% of everything is already prepped and ready to cook. Dinner is ready on average in 20-30 minutes.

20hrs is really nothing, even with kids to be honest.... that would feel like a vacation to me! LOL!

And I thought I was over-scheduled and hyper organized! You put me to shame. :blushing:

For some reason my grease-monkey/truck-driving neanderthal husband seems to think Thanksgiving is 365 days per year! LOL!
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    reading through all the replies on this thread made me realize that I forgot to turn on my crock pot this morning and its full of chicken and salsa. I fear I have lost the whole pot to spoilage now. herpderp.