How do you eat enough calories?

Options
I'm having a real issue every day trying to meet my minimum calorie requirement... I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to eat enough calories when I'm eating so healthy.

Help is much appreciated, thanks!! :)

Replies

• SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    By eating food? No seriously..its really easy. Just eat enough food like carbs(normally calorie dense), nuts(fat dense) and other calorie dense foods like margarine or butter .I just don't get how people have a problem eating to their calorie goal when I'm normally hungry by the end of the day.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I think people would need to see your diary to make suggestions.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    then don't eat so "healthy"

Your body needs fat, protein, and carbs for all kinds of wonderful things (support muscle, energy, hormone production, etc) - don't restrict them too much, and don't be afraid of them.

Advertisers will have you believe that all kinds foods are evil. They aren't. They are evil when portions get out of control... but that's about the portion, not the food.
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Add some nuts: almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, etc. (peanuts are not a nut but a legume)
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What I do is space out my eating so that I'm not having to stuff myself. I tend to eat every hour or two, sometimes every half hour, even if it's just a handful of raisins or something. Also... nuts and seeds!! I swear by them. One cup of raw cashews is about 800 calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm having a real issue every day trying to meet my minimum calorie requirement... I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to eat enough calories when I'm eating so healthy.

Help is much appreciated, thanks!! :)

Eat higher calorie foods. There are plenty of high calorie foods that are full of nutrients.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I am presuming 1200 cals a day is your minimum?

But as for healthy eating that you do, no one can say as we can not see your diary?

Bear in mind that if you open your diary you will be open to criticism from people!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I know people go, "LOL WHAT A DUMB PROBLEM. HOW CAN YOU NOT EAT AT LEAST 1200 CALORIES?"

I get it. Once you switch from fast food, food out, processed food, etc... you're like, "Oh wow, I have TONS of room for calories."

Eat bigger cuts of meat. If you're vegetarian, eat a second helping of whatever you ate, load up on tofu or tempeh. Snack more (on healthier things, still in portions).

Or, let yourself have some complex carbs. Whole wheat pasta will get in some extra calories, or oats, quinoa, etc. It's very possible to eat more when eating healthier!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    -Log your exercise before you perform it, so you have a good idea of your overall calorie goal for the day. That way you can add the calories to every meal and snack instead of playing catch-up at the end of the day.

-If you've cut most fats out, add some back in. Use full-fat salad dressings, eat some nuts or some nut butter, use dairy with a little more fat, etc.

-In another post you said you're falling short an average of 500 per day. So if you eat 3 meals per day and no snacks, you could try adding 100 calories to each meal and two 100 calorie snacks.

We could give you more specific suggestions if we could see your diary, but hopefully those suggestions help somewhat.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Add some nuts: almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, etc. (peanuts are not a nut but a legume)

But peanuts are high calorie and nutrient dense, and they are much yummier than walnuts, imho.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know people go, "LOL WHAT A DUMB PROBLEM. HOW CAN YOU NOT EAT AT LEAST 1200 CALORIES?"

I get it. Once you switch from fast food, food out, processed food, etc... you're like, "Oh wow, I have TONS of room for calories."

Eat bigger cuts of meat. If you're vegetarian, eat a second helping of whatever you ate, load up on tofu or tempeh. Snack more (on healthier things, still in portions).

Or, let yourself have some complex carbs. Whole wheat pasta will get in some extra calories, or oats, quinoa, etc. It's very possible to eat more when eating healthier!

I'm having the same problem. I'm going to grab some whole wheat pasta and add it to my turkey/veggie lunch. Great suggestion!
  • mseketa
    mseketa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I run into this problem too. When I set my mind to it I eat well and I feel full. It always seems silly to eat more when you feel full right? The real key is weight control isn't a sprint it's a marathon. Even hitting your goal weight do you want to be on the roller coaster of up and down weight? So it's about adjusting your expectations to eating good for you stuff and maintaining a healthy weight.

So, find indulgences that make the trip work for you. Things that are typically on the 'ugh no that means dinner is going to suck because I won't have the calories' and put it somewhere in reasonable quantity for those nights when you look at your #s and are like "I can't go to bed that many calories down!"

For me I usually have a candy bar stuck in the freezer. If it's frozen i'm unlikely to mindlessly eat it but at the same time if I need the calories it's not a problem to set it out and let it thaw for a late night indulgence.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I used to be a fast food junkie, but I still have no problem filling up on healthy calories, and I'm eating 1,600 a day.

Breakfast: coffee, cream & sugar, greek yogurt and a banana. Lunch: a pita wrap stuffed with veggies and grilled chicken with hummus. Dinner: some kind of meat, potato or rice and vegetable.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat? I've noticed a lot of people eat low fat to cut calories but your body needs fat and it makes food taste so much better. Fats from vegetable sources should be part of any healthy diet.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I used to be a fast food junkie, but I still have no problem filling up on healthy calories, and I'm eating 1,600 a day.

Breakfast: coffee, cream & sugar, greek yogurt and a banana. Lunch: a pita wrap stuffed with veggies and grilled chicken with hummus. Dinner: some kind of meat, potato or rice and vegetable.

Oh, I'm sorry ;) I didn't realize you were having the problem and were posting a question asking for advice.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Oh, I'm sorry ;) I didn't realize you were having the problem and were posting a question asking for advice.

Just giving an example of how you can get the calories up. If someone doesn't eat some of those things I'm sure they could find substitutions of healthy things they do eat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But peanuts are high calorie and nutrient dense, and they are much yummier than walnuts, imho.

I agree. No matter what they are peanuts and peanut butter are a delicious way to add healthy calories to your diet.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry everyone! I couldn't figure out how to make my food diary public, but I just did. I'm trying to get my net calories up, it's usually way under when I exercise, which is like six days a week-ish.

And yes, my calorie intake is 1,200. :)
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    you seem to be getting enough to me, except on days when u are skipping a meal, being under by 100-200 calories is okay, just try not to make it any more than that. u don't have to eat back ur exercise calories, just tyr to stay above the 1200 mark
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry everyone! I couldn't figure out how to make my food diary public, but I just did. I'm trying to get my net calories up, it's usually way under when I exercise, which is like six days a week-ish.

And yes, my calorie intake is 1,200. :)

Definitely increase your protein! I thought maybe you were a vegetarian, then I saw pork on one day. I always try to get some protein with every meal.