How do you eat enough calories?

Options

Replies

• caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Cook your dinner meat in olive oil, that adds 120 calories per tablespoon and it is a healthy fat. Also, avocado is rich in healthy fat and calories, but good for you. 1 ounce has 40 calories. Maybe add another ounce of protein to lunch or dinner. Also, add the complex carbs. I love quinoa, pearl barley, and bulgar wheat as alternatives to brown rice.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    eat more meat. alot more. like.... mostly meat.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    you seem to be getting enough to me, except on days when u are skipping a meal, being under by 100-200 calories is okay, just try not to make it any more than that. u don't have to eat back ur exercise calories, just tyr to stay above the 1200 mark

eep that's something that's confused me - I get a lot of mixed reviews online and from friends on whether or not I should eat back all of my exercise calories. I think I've decided to kinda go halfway and eat back maybe half of them and see how my weight loss goes from there.

And I never intentionally skip meals! I try my best not to, there's just been a lot of traveling lately for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    you seem to be getting enough to me, except on days when u are skipping a meal, being under by 100-200 calories is okay, just try not to make it any more than that. u don't have to eat back ur exercise calories, just tyr to stay above the 1200 mark

Yeah, I agree with this. You seem to have a pretty good mix of carbs, protein and fat on most days. If you are full on this, then don't worry about it. If you get hungry, eat more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I would add some protein with breakfast though, maybe a protein bar or a cup of milk. I think if you worked on that, then you will find yourself hitting 1200 with no problem. As far as eating back calories, I would eat them if you're hungry, but don't worry about it if you aren't, or maybe use them to fit in an occasional treat.
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    I am seriously so tired of hearing this question. It's not complicated at all. 1.5 large mcdonalds milkshakes is probably over 1200 calories. Do you really not understand? There infinite ways to get to your calorie goal, some of them incredibly easy. No one should need this concept explained to them, ever.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm having a real issue every day trying to meet my minimum calorie requirement... I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to eat enough calories when I'm eating so healthy.

Help is much appreciated, thanks!! :)
    If you aren't eating enough calories, then you aren't, "eating so healthy." You're obviously eating an incredibly unhealthy, unbalanced diet.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Peanut butter!! =) If you use ranch or anything else like that, in the fat free or w/e version, switch to full fat! Like instead of me drinking skim milk, I would switch to whole! Don't fill up your calories with sweets.... I did that :cry: Not good.. started putting me back to my old habits
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you could eat more for breakfast, your granola bars are only 90 maybe you can eat some that are higher in calories. Nuts and peanut butter are very good for you so if you could add those things in, maybe eat a banna which is 100 calories along with your granola bar.

Eat snacks in between meals like the nuts suggested above or fruit/yogurt
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    IMO you are not eating healthy if you are having trouble eating all of your suggested minimum calories.
    Also, about half of your diet consists of processed foods.. and that's not healthy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am seriously so tired of hearing this question. It's not complicated at all. 1.5 large mcdonalds milkshakes is probably over 1200 calories. Do you really not understand? There infinite ways to get to your calorie goal, some of them incredibly easy. No one should need this concept explained to them, ever.

I think by "healthy" she means nutrient-dense, which is NOT what a McD's shake is. (It's not a milkshake either, btw. A milkshake has milk and ice cream. Mcd's is a big bag of crap placed in a machine. It doesn't even taste like ice cream.)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My normal protein shake is over 400 calories:

- 1 scoop ON chocolate malt whey protein
    - 1.5 cups low fat milk
    - 1 scoop powdered PB2
    - 1 medium banana

If you use real peanut butter instead of PB2, it will be closer to 500 calories, with some healthy fat. it is delicious and easy to consume. Too easy.

Some other dense foods I use:

- Grape nuts cereal
    - Granola
    - Whole wheat toast with butter and eggs
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

eep that's something that's confused me - I get a lot of mixed reviews online and from friends on whether or not I should eat back all of my exercise calories. I think I've decided to kinda go halfway and eat back maybe half of them and see how my weight loss goes from there.

And I never intentionally skip meals! I try my best not to, there's just been a lot of traveling lately for me.

I've got no issue with eating back half your exercise calories.

There's nowhere near enough protein. As much as you exercise, you should be aiming for at least 100g per day to maintain muscle mass.

Unless this travel involves flying, pack your food and take it with you. You can buy a really nice cooler bag for under $15. Ice packs are another $3. I had to travel three days last week and I packed my food in a cooler bag and ate from that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I think by "healthy" she means nutrient-dense, which is NOT what a McD's shake is. (It's not a milkshake either, btw. A milkshake has milk and ice cream. Mcd's is a big bag of crap placed in a machine. It doesn't even taste like ice cream.)
    That "bag of crap" is low fat vanilla ice cream. That's all it is.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Ok forget the smart *kitten* answers, you are looking for help yep?

so don`t go stuff yoruself with mcdonalds crap!

Somedays you eat over some days you are eating under. Some days you eat mega sodium foods, somedays you are eating a lot of sugar?

Maybe try to balance your foods out a little?

What works for me is spreading my meals out through out the day 200 to 300 every few hours to incorporate snacks.

Keep some ready sliced meat in the fridge for the snacks, the protein is good and it will fill you up until your next snack.

You can eat healthily with snacks too. Take a handful of nuts between lunch and dinner. A tin of tuna (if you like it)

I have been eating 1200 cals a day (set by MFP for over a year) and I eat most of my exercise cals back.
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I snack in between meals and I definately get in a protein shake a day along with one protein bar....check out my diary for some ideas if you like and by all means I'm no expert in this matter but learning much along the way.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I put food in my face hole.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to spend 15 minutes reading all the responses but this is something that I was thinking about recently...

~ ditch the "diet" food- use regular mayo, salad dressing, real butter, honey, regular cheese, 1-2% milk
    ~ eat some peanut butter, nuts, meat

There. that should do it.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I just don't...and I don't stress it...