bump
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brakalack
    Brakalack Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Interesting!! Thanks for the analysis!! I'm going to go squeeze in another snack now.. :)
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for confirming what I thought I had loosely figured out.

BTW - IMHO - Exercise calories taste awesome too.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    The results don't really mean anything without seeing what type of exercise was being done. Doing only cardio and/or light weight resistance training is going to cause you to loose more lean body mass than lifting heavy. Nevertheless it still interesting to see the differences.
  • mrsjacksn
    Options
    bump
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    So if I want to burn muscle efficiently, I should try to maximize my calorie deficit? Got it, thanks :)
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    really to me the eat back calories doesn't apply to me because I eat all my calories from 7 am to 8pm and then work out around 11pm.

I try to stay between 1200-1500 cals but for some reason if I eat more cals that day I know I have to work out harder at the end of the day.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    really to me the eat back calories doesn't apply to me because I eat all my calories from 7 am to 8pm and then work out around 11pm.

I try to stay between 1200-1500 cals but for some reason if I eat more cals that day I know I have to work out harder at the end of the day.

hehehe
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

May i ask how it doesnt apply to you? The time you work and time you eat is irrelevant to weight loss. Its quite simple if you dont fuel your body you increase the chances of going catabolic and losing lean body mass.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So if I want to burn muscle efficiently, I should try to maximize my calorie deficit? Got it, thanks :)

Lots of cardio and 1200 calories and you are set ;).
  • psuLemon
    Options
    i've tried eating a consistent # of calories but just recently switched back to eating back exercise calories b/c i found that it just works better for me. to each their own.

Thats practically the same thing as 20% less than tdee. Either way is good for you.
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aventuria
    Options
    Thank you for taking all that time, that must have taken you ages! :flowerforyou:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great info, thanks for time on that.

Here is interesting study showing that reasonable deficit can spare LBM loss. Resistance training helps with bigger deficits. Obviously it helps with reasonable ones too.

http://fampra.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/2/196.full

Because it seems like every other study is always very extreme deficit, or very low calorie diets, and then they look at LBM loss or how to maintain it.

So eating back the exercise calories, which then is keeping the deficit at a reasonable level on average, can be enough without doing resistance - in case there's an issue with doing that.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love nerds and geeks. Makes the world a more interesting and informative place. Long live the nerd!!!