Exercise Calories: To eat or not to eat... Results

Options

Replies

• LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing these results. I'm new to MFP, but I've been struggling with whether to eat back exercise calories or not, so this really helps.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for all your work.
  • tenaheff
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/708037-weight-loss-vs-fat-loss

So the question of whether or not to eat back exercise comes up fairly frequently, so I thought I would try to bring some light to it through statistics (oh yes, I am that nerdy math guy). Above is the thread created to gather information. The goal, was simple, what is better for weight/fat loss.... eating back exercise calories (or eating 20% below tdee) or sticking with the basic number MFP gives you and not eat back exercise calories. Below is what I looked for in order to derive the information

"I am looking for those who can provide starting weight (SW), start body fat (SBF), current weight (CW), current body fat (CBF) and what is your calories. I am trying to compare those who eat exercise calories (this will include those who eat 20% below TDEE) vs those who don't. If possible, I would like to collect 50-100 people if possible so I can make a good conclusion. "

With the above information, I was able to look at weight loss vs fat loss and the associated lean body mass loss. Lean body mass has signifacant purpose. LBM is what determines your metabolic rate (the more muscle you have the higher your metabolic rate, aka muscle burns fat).

" ... However, as a whole, lean body mass is responsible for providing the body with its "essential elements" for proper functioning, as the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center states. The functions that these "elements" provide include movement, stability, respiration, digestion and immune system responses. However, while lean body mass is essential, body fat is still important..."

With this said, there were 48 people from MFP that were involved in this study. Below is the results

Does not eat back exercise calories

Weight Loss - 56.4
    LBM Loss - 13.6
    % of Loss - 24%
    Max LBM Loss - 70%
    Min LBM Loss - 1%
    Max Weight Loss - 182.0
    Min Weight Loss - 14.2

Eats back exercise calories (or 20% below TDEE)
    Weight Loss - 34.1
    LBM Loss - 5.0
    % of Loss - 15%
    Max LBM Loss - 45%
    Min LBM Loss - 0% <-- there were several people who gained lean body mass but I will choke some of that up to calculation error.
    Max Weight Loss - 104.5
    Min Weight Loss - 1.0

So on average, a person will loss 9% more weight from lean body mass. But the thing that is astonishing is the difference between the min max levels. Some people lost as much as 70% of their weight from lean body mass. Additionally, about 66% of the people who did NOT eat back exercise calories lost 25%+ of their weight from lean body mass. Adversely, about 27% of those who ate back exercise calories lost 25%+ of their weight from lean body mass. I dont know about you, but that is pretty significant (39% difference).

So I hope this helps.. based on this, I would suggest eating exercise calories. The main benefit of it is preserving lean body mass, which will not only help maintain your metabolism but it will also fill out your skin and provide greater definition (see two links below)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat+vs

Hope this helps you make your decision.

48 people is far too small a sample size to provide reliable results. It could be your findings are from nothing more than coincidence. A sample with another 48 people could provide an entirely different result.

Still, I appreciate the effort. However, for me, I will continue to do what I know works best for me. I recommend the same to others whatever the option is.
  • lizorama
    Options
    If you want to burn fat instead of lean body mass, you need to give your body carbs and protein within 30 mins of your workout. A dietician will happily tell you one of the best things you can do is to have a chocolate milk (1 cup) immediately following a workout, or a protein drink/shake.

This forces the body NOT to burn your muscle for the energy, but the stores of fat and accomplishes what we are trying to do after all :) It's a small amount of calories and a delicious reward for a workout!
  • kaitlynnme
    kaitlynnme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So interesting. Thanks for doing this!
  • aimeeworsham
    aimeeworsham Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    interesting...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you want to burn fat instead of lean body mass, you need to give your body carbs and protein within 30 mins of your workout. A dietician will happily tell you one of the best things you can do is to have a chocolate milk (1 cup) immediately following a workout, or a protein drink/shake.

This forces the body NOT to burn your muscle for the energy, but the stores of fat and accomplishes what we are trying to do after all :) It's a small amount of calories and a delicious reward for a workout!

That's kind of good advice for long cardio workouts, but for totally different reasons, and a conglomerate of decent and myth info.

Drinking the milk doesn't force anything, your body has enough fat to keep burning that, and since you just slowed down, it was going to mainly burn fat anyway.
    Actually, drinking the milk just encouraged the body to burn those carbs as energy INSTEAD of fat, because with increased insulin from the mostly sugar, insulin just went up, fat storage mode is on, as well as carb storage mode. Whatever carbs aren't used for energy needs right then will help replenish glucose stores you just used up in your workout.

So that helps for your NEXT workout, prep you might say. But that it's best in 30 min is false and based on old studies that were very specific on carb intake. As long as you replenish the carbs before the next heavy cardio workout, you'll be fine - and that's what will assist not running out of glucose and resorting to muscle breakdown.

Now the 4:1 ratio of carbs:protein has shown to be better ratio for most endurance workout post snacks.

But you gotta be doing some endurance where that matters, like over an hr. Unless you just went all out for up to an hr and burned mainly carbs because of high intensity. That deserves some replenishing too.

So indeed drink the low-fat chocolate milk after the workout, but for different reasons than you state. Still useful, just different.
    Or don't, you'll actually be burning fat now for longer, but do indeed replenish glucose before the next cardio workout.
  • Anon4678
    Options
    I am impressed at your mad math skillz, yo. Seriously, great job and thanks for doing this!
  • lizorama
    Options

But you gotta be doing some endurance where that matters, like over an hr. Unless you just went all out for up to an hr and burned mainly carbs because of high intensity. That deserves some replenishing too.

You are correct, I should have left the qualifier of an hour of cardio workout! Too hard to eat after that, easier to get liquid protein
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this myself, and when I asked, people responded with "why would you eat back what you burned off?" So thanks for doing this survey! :) It really clears up what I have been curious about! :)
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ok...this was just awesome. Thank you for doing this because I also wondered if I should eat back my exercise calories :-)
  • missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options

So the question of whether or not to eat back exercise comes up fairly frequently, so I thought I would try to bring some light to it through statistics (oh yes, I am that nerdy math guy). Above is the thread created to gather information. The goal, was simple, what is better for weight/fat loss.... eating back exercise calories (or eating 20% below tdee) or sticking with the basic number MFP gives you and not eat back exercise calories. Below is what I looked for in order to derive the information

"I am looking for those who can provide starting weight (SW), start body fat (SBF), current weight (CW), current body fat (CBF) and what is your calories. I am trying to compare those who eat exercise calories (this will include those who eat 20% below TDEE) vs those who don't. If possible, I would like to collect 50-100 people if possible so I can make a good conclusion. "

With the above information, I was able to look at weight loss vs fat loss and the associated lean body mass loss. Lean body mass has signifacant purpose. LBM is what determines your metabolic rate (the more muscle you have the higher your metabolic rate, aka muscle burns fat).

" ... However, as a whole, lean body mass is responsible for providing the body with its "essential elements" for proper functioning, as the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center states. The functions that these "elements" provide include movement, stability, respiration, digestion and immune system responses. However, while lean body mass is essential, body fat is still important..."

With this said, there were 48 people from MFP that were involved in this study. Below is the results

Weight Loss - 56.4
    LBM Loss - 13.6
    % of Loss - 24%
    Max LBM Loss - 70%
    Min LBM Loss - 1%
    Max Weight Loss - 182.0
    Min Weight Loss - 14.2

Weight Loss - 34.1
    LBM Loss - 5.0
    % of Loss - 15%
    Max LBM Loss - 45%
    Min LBM Loss - 0% <-- there were several people who gained lean body mass but I will choke some of that up to calculation error.
    Max Weight Loss - 104.5
    Min Weight Loss - 1.0

So on average, a person will loss 9% more weight from lean body mass. But the thing that is astonishing is the difference between the min max levels. Some people lost as much as 70% of their weight from lean body mass. Additionally, about 66% of the people who did NOT eat back exercise calories lost 25%+ of their weight from lean body mass. Adversely, about 27% of those who ate back exercise calories lost 25%+ of their weight from lean body mass. I dont know about you, but that is pretty significant (39% difference).

So I hope this helps.. based on this, I would suggest eating exercise calories. The main benefit of it is preserving lean body mass, which will not only help maintain your metabolism but it will also fill out your skin and provide greater definition (see two links below)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat+vs

What happens if, after I put in my exercise, my calorie intake is less than 1200 calories? I thought that consuming less than 1200 calories is not good for my health. This is where I get confused. My husband and I have been trying to figure all of this out so this is a very helpful thread. Thank you!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    How does this study work if a person is eating at a deficient but doesn't lead a very productive/active life?
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread very resourceful. :wink:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Although there are many variables included in various studies on the topic, one thing is certain: there is an individual threshold at which, if you create too large of a deficit, your body ultimately may decide maintaining muscle mass is too metabolically expensive to keep.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Weight Loss - 56.4
    LBM Loss - 13.6
    % of Loss - 24%
    Max LBM Loss - 70%
    Min LBM Loss - 1%
    Max Weight Loss - 182.0
    Min Weight Loss - 14.2

Weight Loss - 34.1
    LBM Loss - 5.0
    % of Loss - 15%
    Max LBM Loss - 45%
    Max Weight Loss - 104.5
    Min Weight Loss - 1.0

48 people is far too small a sample size to provide reliable results. It could be your findings are from nothing more than coincidence. A sample with another 48 people could provide an entirely different result.

Still, I appreciate the effort. However, for me, I will continue to do what I know works best for me. I recommend the same to others whatever the option is.
    It may be a small study, and that accounts for the wide variance in results, but the overall trends cannot be denied.
    Although there are many variables included in various studies on the topic, one thing is certain: there is an individual threshold at which, if you create too large of a deficit, your body ultimately may decide maintaining muscle mass is too metabolically expensive to keep.
    Yup.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Of course this is a small sample, but not many people on this board track body fat. So my question is, do you track your body fat and weight concurrently?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Weight Loss - 56.4
    LBM Loss - 13.6
    % of Loss - 24%
    Max LBM Loss - 70%
    Min LBM Loss - 1%
    Max Weight Loss - 182.0
    Min Weight Loss - 14.2

Weight Loss - 34.1
    LBM Loss - 5.0
    % of Loss - 15%
    Max LBM Loss - 45%
    Max Weight Loss - 104.5
    Min Weight Loss - 1.0

What happens if, after I put in my exercise, my calorie intake is less than 1200 calories? I thought that consuming less than 1200 calories is not good for my health. This is where I get confused. My husband and I have been trying to figure all of this out so this is a very helpful thread. Thank you!

What you are doing is creating a greater calorie deficit. Without sufficient intake, you will increase the chances of losing lean body mass. And a large deficit doesn't always mean more weight loss or better results. You gotta fuel your body to reduce fat and maintain muscle. Also, if you properly fuel your body, you can push a lot harder during your workouts, increase strength and burn more calories. I can't tell you I know many people send me messages about not losing weight and they are eating 1200-1400 calories and after a month of eating 1600-1800 they start losing again. I know people will say, we are all special butterflies and all different, but we aren't. But what people don't realize is these equations are based on the many and will need to be adapted. But if you need help, PM me and I can show you the math required for fat loss.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How does this study work if a person is eating at a deficient but doesn't lead a very productive/active life?
    You can look at this from a deficit stand point. If you create a large deficit and don't consume a large amount of protein, you will increase the chances to catabolize your lean body mass. So a person with 20 lbs to lose shouldn't be aiming for 2 lbs per week.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Ideally, before one even begins a weight loss intervention, they should educate themselves on the basic principles and components that promote weight loss in any form. There are many clinical journals online with hundreds of current research material involving the outcomes of various weight loss methods that is free to view. Reducing body fat to lose weight - and the ability to maintain goal weight or body composition - is a huge commitment requiring a lifetime of choices and accountability. With that, one should involve a thorough investigation to weigh which approach would maximize fat loss while minimizing undesirable outcomes. Unfortunately, many people hurry to MFP, enter very aggressive and unrealistic goals before they even comprehend basic terminology such as BMR, RMR, TDEE, energy expenditure, etc..