Do you eat back your workout calories?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lacdbrown
    lacdbrown Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been trying to eat back only 200 if I do an intense workout....I have my net set to 1400 but I do not like to pass 1600 OVERALL (not net) unless I feel VERY hungry.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your alloted calories, your height/weight and your exercise level. I dont. I exercise 30 minutes a day. I probably burn anywhere from 200-500 a day. I dont eat those back because its not a lot of exercise and my calorie allowance for the day is already 1600. I am not going to eat 2000 calories a day and loose weight.
    now on long bike days or other excessive exercise days, I do eat a few extra calories that day. but never the total amount
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

this is going to be a painful thread.

Please people, at least the people who care to know, rather than just wing it... please please please please read this. There actually is science and reason behind all this... it's not a just gotta find what works for you type of thing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383956-exercise-calories-explained?hl=exercise+calories+explained

Whoa, good post! Thank you.
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this explanation. I realize that as I work a desk job, I should have set the activity level to sedentary and eat back the calories that I exercise off. I lost quite a bit of weight when starting off but my deficit was 600 to 700 and I was starving at the end of the day. This was while I was burning over 700 calories a day in exercise. Again thank you and I hope that more people find your post!! :happy:
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so that you EAT BACK your exercise calories. It's already built a deficit for you.

Not necessarily, but that is how most people use it.

Yes, it's designed that way if your goals are to lose weight. I think the author should have clarified if she was trying to maintain or lose.
  • pkteen
    pkteen Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm a 20 year old, 5'11" guy and I eat 1300-1500 cals a day. Whatever I exercise, I still eat a maximum of 1500.
    I also exercise daily and in order to maximise my performance at the gym, I eat most (or all) of my carbs an hour before workout and then I have two scoops of whey protein after the workout.