Smoking..Healthy or Not?

Replies

• Clearly smoking is not a healthy habit, but you don't really need anyone to tell you that. If you kicked drugs, you can kick butts, but it has to be a time when you want to. I wish I had tackled my food addiction before I got so heavy, and I wish I had tackled my smoking addiction before I let it get me so out of shape and winded.

Congrats on all you've achieved thus far, it's hard enough to change ourselves one thing at a time, it can be way too much to try and give up everything/ change everything all at once.
  • My grandpa was a smoker... At 63, he was playing tennis 4 times a week, swimming daily, and riding his bicycle everywhere he went. He bowled and played basketball in his "free time." He could run circles around guys that were half his age.

He died of small cell lung cancer as a result of his lifelong smoking habit.

Yes he was "healthy"... But smoking still killed him. Smoking is not a "healthy" habit.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    For the record, I do plan on quitting smoking once I reach one year of sobriety. So I will smoke my last cigarette (hopefully) 4/21/2013.

Best of luck to you. And congrats on the sobriety.

^^This!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Cograts on your sobriety, that's awesome!
    Smoking is one of those... long term health destroyer things. You can be healthy now and smoke (minus coughing like an old dude when you get up in the morning) but in 10, 20, 30 years? Not so much. I'm an ex-smoker (I like to smoke once in a blue moon though, just one cigarette to feel naughty) so I try not to get judgy. I know how strong of an addiction it is.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Honestly I think we make too much of a big deal with smoking, there are far more worse things. My bf smoked for awhile now. I smoked also but quit almost 4 yrs now, n to tell ya the truth its eating healthy n exercise that made me more healthier not kicking the habit. When I kicked the habit my breathing got far worse n I ended up with more problems, I started to exercise n eat healthy, thats what did it, not kicking the habit. My bf works a demanding job n has been smoking cigarettes for awhile n hes in way more better shape then me. He even has asthma. Last time he had an asthma attack was when he was a teenager, hes 30 now. So bs is all I gotta say.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    You are not healthy. I can say that as a former smoker who ran a marathon and played soccer while I smoked.
    Regular running is thought to cut your lung cancer risk by about half. But, that said, you still have lung cancer risk, and non-smokers do not. They almost never get lung cancer. And, even though the cancer won't get you, you will get COPD eventually -- the disease that used to be known as emphysema. Nothing grosser. Nothing worse. You cannot breathe. You carry around an oxygen tank and have to ride in a wheel chair to cover any great distance because you are so weak, always.
    Do whatever you have to do to quit. And, don't quit trying.
    Heroin, actually, is fairly benign as abused substances go. The problem is the needle injections and the infections users get. That is what causes the health problems.
    We're just now coming to realize how prevalent hepatitis C infection is. It takes a long time -- 20 years or so -- for the hepatitis C-related liver damage to appear. So, we weren't really sure how common it is. But, now it seems like perhaps the majority of intravenous drug users become infected.
    It is important not to drink if you think you may have been infected with the hepatitis C virus. Alcohol abuse really speeds the liver damage.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Former smoker of 16 years here and I was one of those people who smoked on my way to and from the gym. From experience I will tell you that all the other things you do will not negate the damage to your lungs- even though running ten miles is amazing, and good for you! I will guarantee that you are capable of so much more when you don't smoke.

Also, my sister is a former heroin addict as well and can't shake the cigarettes either, but at least she's honest about it and doesn't act like they're easier to quit and she could do it any time. Don't lie to yourself friend, just admit you still have addictions you're not ready to give up yet.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    If I had reason to believe I only had 20 years to live, I would stop smoking immediately.

But then again there is my mother who was diagnosed at stage 5 with head and neck cancer. She smoked all through her treatment, and is cancer free, for now- and still smoking. Her cancer will come back and kill her, no doubt about that, in less than 5 years.

Are you hearing me?
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    <<<<<<<<<<< Professional Smoker here. When I was 27, I use to run 4 miles a day with a 40 pound weight vest on, and smoke immediately before and after.
    Smoking will catch up with you.
    @ing years and went back. I am currently trying to quit now. 2 packs a day, down to 1/2 pack. Right now, smoking seems to be beating me.

Good luck to you on quitting your other addiction. But, alot of people say quitting smoking may be the hardest of all the addictions to kick.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Nothing you smoke is healthy, tobacco, crack, opium, heroin, banana skins, weed.

Personally I stay away from anything you can put it a pipe.

I do agree with this
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    I smoke on the way to and from the gym. Clearly it's not healthy. I hope to quit. But I don't kid myself that it's a good habit or anything.

It just keeps me from killing large groups of people is all.

+1
  • kimberly2122
    kimberly2122 Posts: 15 Member
    How many pounds is a stone?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Healthy isn't binary. A person is not either healthy or not. I don't honestly know whether being sedentary is worse than smoking, so my healthy scale would be: works out, non-smoker > works out and smokes or doesn't work out and doesn't smoke > doesn't workout and smokes.

As others have said, congrats on your accomplishments and best of luck quitting cigarettes on your schedule.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    This says heroin does not damage the liver. Would it be from something like hepatitis?

http://www.heroinhelper.com/user/health/disease.shtml#liver
    One year of sobriety...didn't you say you planned on dying of liver failure? I'm confused. Sober from just heroine or in general. This is the curiosity in me, sorry :)

Almost always heroin addicts end up with liver damage that can not, um, be repaired.

That's what the um was about. It was a general answer. It's not the heroin itself that causes the liver issue. Usually the delivery method.
  • ebonie101
    ebonie101 Posts: 95 Member
    smoking causes several different cancers and disease so while youre lifting weights and getting muscles you are killing your insides. so id say not as healthy as you can be no...health is about longevity not just the here and now.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    One step at a time.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    This says heroin does not damage the liver. Would it be from something like hepatitis?

http://www.heroinhelper.com/user/health/disease.shtml#liver
    One year of sobriety...didn't you say you planned on dying of liver failure? I'm confused. Sober from just heroine or in general. This is the curiosity in me, sorry :)

Almost always heroin addicts end up with liver damage that can not, um, be repaired.

yes the disease is called hepatitus, which i got from using needles to shoot heroin

nevermind, the OP said it himself. I was trying to say it without saying it, if that makes any sense.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    As a smoker for 45 years I can tell you it took a stay in the ICU with blood clots in my heart and legs to get me to quit. I quit Jan 26, 2012 and I can do so much more than I ever could. Just think what you could do if you didn't smoke.Don't wait until it's to late and you can't undo the damage done to your wonderful body! Love yourself totally! Good Luck!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    One step at a time.

+1
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!