Smoking..Healthy or Not?

Options

Replies

• sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    People are going to die when they are going to die. When the big guy says its time its time. Clearly smoking is not good for anyone but he is doing several things that are right. An old neighbor of mine smoked 3 packs a day and at 98 years old he died by getting hit by a car walking his dog. On the other end of the spectrum my ex husbands brother died at 33 years old of a heart attack and was NOT a smoker and very light drinker. To each their own.
  • HayleyAT
    Options
    I used to smoke, and all i can tell you is that you cannot quit until YOU are ready. Therefore, it doesn't matter what anyone else says. It won't work until you are ready to do it for yourself.

That being said, I do feel much better now that I've been a non-smoker for 4 or so years. You will, too, when it's your time.

Good luck!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    How many pounds is a stone?

14 pounds is 1 stone :)
  • RAWBMEOW
    Options
    i know this type
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You must be kidding? As I'm so proud of you for kicking your other addictions, AND can understand why you wouldn't want to quick smoking at this time... The fact that you think you are still healthy must be a joke. You are killing yourself a little faster... you might as well eat fast food.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    When I smoked (more than 11 years ago) and went to the gym, I would always light up after. I don't think it's the greatest time, because your lungs are working more & your body needing more oxygen after working hard. However, I would say that you are healthy & improving! Sometimes it's best to do one thing at a time so you can succeed at them all. Good luck!
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You must be kidding? As I'm so proud of you for kicking your other addictions, AND can understand why you wouldn't want to quick smoking at this time... The fact that you think you are still healthy must be a joke. You are killing yourself a little faster... you might as well eat fast food.

i DO eat fast food lol chick fil a and subway are 2 of my fav places to eat
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This
    For the record, I do plan on quitting smoking once I reach one year of sobriety. So I will smoke my last cigarette (hopefully) 4/21/2013.

Congrats on your success with sobriety so far! You are accomplishing an extremely difficult thing to do. And kudos to you for turning to exercise and healthy eating to see you through this difficult phase in your life. I 100% agree with you that you should not attempt to quit smoking until you are on more stable ground with your sobriety.

Although I have not personally dealt with addictions to drugs or alcohol, I AM a smoker. And I am currently in the process of trying to kick that habit now. I made several failed attempts using a variety of different methods. It's not easy. AT ALL. I was smoking about 3/4 a pack a day. Then over the summer I dealt with some difficulties at home and my stress level and anxiety was through the roof. I soon realized that my smoking habits drastically increased...I was smoking a pack and a half a day. So I decided to cut back. My first step was only allowing myself to smoke once an hour. Then every week I pushed it 15 minutes further. Right now, I smoke once every two hours and 15 minutes, or about 7 cigarettes a day. Next week it will be 6 cigarettes a day, etc. It certainly help kick the "habit" cigarettes...on the way to work, after dinner, etc.

Take one addiction at a time, baby steps. With proper motivation, you can succeed. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You'd be healthier if you stopped smoking!

Well done on beating your past addictions, though.

You are healthy now. Smoking means you may not be healthy in the future. And you know all the reasons why so I won't repeat them for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Healthy isn't binary. A person is not either healthy or not.

Actually a person is either healthy or not. Many people confuse increased risk of disease with being unhealthy. Healthy simply means free of disease, ailment or injury. Smoking, more so than most other things, increases the risk for disease. But increasing the risk for future disease does not make you less healthy now. It just means you are less likely to remain healthy.
  • banshishi
    Options
    I quit smoking a year ago.and I can tell you thatdespite gaining weight again, I am a lot healthier, I can breath for a start, you think you feel healthy while you smoke but after you get over the wobbley first couple of weeks you suddenly find you can do a whole lot more than you did before....Thing is tho if you are battling other addictions, it is better to deal with one thing at a time, at least you are stepping in the right direction. Good luck hope you do manage to hit your goals and quit, its not easy and everyone was very relieved when I finally got over the worst of the addiction, cos I was ready to murder anyone that so much as dared to speak to me, but it was worth it.
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on kicking your other addictions. Smoking is not healthy, there is no way around that. But the one thing I learned is that you have to be ready to quit for it to be a successful quit. I quit several years ago and am still fighting the weight I gained over it but I will tell you that I can push my body a lot harder and am able to do so much more physically than I could if I was still smoking and I have a lot of weight on me. And in my opinion, I push myself hard on every workout. Good luck.
  • Losinitforgood
    Losinitforgood Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I smoked for quite some time until I got a job as a nurse and saw in person every day what smoking did to people when they got old, or even middle aged. I decided that I did not want to be stuck to an oxygen tank my whole life, and did not want to struggle with breathing. Yes, I could still have those troubles when I get older but I feel like I seriously decreased my risk of diseases like COPD, lung cancer, CVD, CHD, etc. etc. by quitting when I did. Anyway, you are going to have to be the one to decided to quit, I really don't think anyone can make you. Smoking is definitely UNHEALTHY. Congrats on getting off the heroin and I hope that you are able to quit the smokes too when you are planning to!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    yes the disease is called hepatitus, which i got from using needles to shoot heroin

Hepatitis is not a death sentence. Check out Liv 52: http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/liv_syrup.htm

Both my husband and my brother have been taking it and have seen dramatic improvements in their liver over the last few years.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Actually a person is either healthy or not. Many people confuse increased risk of disease with being unhealthy. Healthy simply means free of disease, ailment or injury. Smoking, more so than most other things, increases the risk for disease. But increasing the risk for future disease does not make you less healthy now. It just means you are less likely to remain healthy.

You always make good points! :happy:
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a healthy habit, but EVERYONE does SOMETHING that isn't "healthy" sometimes. We cheat with ice cream (I do) or we drink alcohol or we smoke or we don't wear seat belts or we run with scissors (again, me, I'm a graphic designer) or don't wear condoms or have multiple sex partners or participate in extreme (dangerous) sports or do hard drugs, etc...LOTS of not healthy behaviors that we try to mitigate with doing actual healthy things as often as we can. Would you be better off not smoking? Absolutely. Would you be better off if you'd stayed on heroin instead? Probably not. I get through every day with two thoughts: "Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are." and "I don't give a **** what anyone else thinks." There you go. You answer to yourself.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Check out a smoker's lungs. They are not healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Check out a smoker's lungs. They are not healthy.

They can be. Not every smoker has lung disease.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking last year after a pack a day for 17 years. I put on 30 lbs. in a hurry, saw a natropath, personal trainer, doctor, all told me it was normal. I have't been able to lose a lb of it yet. but still glad I quit.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I wish people would use the same logic with fat people!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!