MFP fail

Options

Replies

• jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love how we can have a conversation about rating the person from the previous post on a hotness scale from 1-10, but we can't have a logical conversation about childhood obesity (which is a major problem facing this country) without MFP deleting it and modding it out.

It seems the mods answer to any post that gets people stirred up and forces them to consider why we are by FAAAAR the most obese country in the world, is to delete it (i.e. sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened). As a site that supposedly supports good dieting and responsible eating habits, I find that very disappointing.

People get extremely defensive about their kids even when they are wrong. People don't want to hear they are screwing up their kids health by feeding them garbage so you will be attacked. It's the lack of accountability and responsibility they are willing to take for their children's health. America has become a place where the majority of people like to point fingers and deny any responsibility for their actions. Everybody can do what they want, but as for me and my children, they deserve the best of this life God has given them. I refuse to feed my children garbage, because then yes, I would be responsible for any health issues that may arise and I would rather accept that fact than live in denial as I feed them crap that will eventually lead to diseases that will possibly make them ill. I care about my kids and their future period. Nothing will stop me from giving them the best. If people have a problem with that then that's their problem...
  • TeeDeezy
    TeeDeezy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Possibly. But, couldn't they just mod out the rude posts? I guess that involves more work, but seems like a better solution to me. It's just frustrating when I see people discussing such an important issue that is so relevant to the purpose of this site, and it just vanishes like nothing ever happened. It's like the epitome of the phrase "Move along, nothing to see here."

I'll be honest, I've seen many people around me make terrible, terrible choices in diet and basically destroy their kids. I have children in my family that are so severely overweight that they are at an incredible risk of health related problems. And, I've watched their parents, grandparents, etc... feed them copious amounts of sugars and calories with no thought or regard of what their doing to their own children. I just can't understand how you can look your child in the eye at 10 years old and 165 lbs. while handing them a bag of chips and a Dr. Pepper and not know that you're doing something very, very bad. And, I can't understand how you can then condemn someone when they actually have the guts to stand up and say so.

Granted, the conversations could have been more constructive. But, emotion can often spark change.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Many parents now are a bit over protective, I think, and that seems to play some role in the decreased activity of children as a whole, but my own daughter rarely goes outside and plays anymore and it's nothing to do with video games. She's a reader and a singer....those are the things she enjoys doing. It's not as if I can say "Reading is bad for you." :smile:

When she was younger, however, she was more active. I'm NOT one of those over protective parents. She never owned knee or elbow pad, a bike helmet, our yard wasn't fenced in and I certainly didn't go outside to "watch" her play. She played like I played as a child....unsupervised and she just knew to come inside before the streetlights came on.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The threads get locked/deleted because of all the douchefaces on here that get heated and butt hurt because someone doesn't like what someone else says and then they report the post. If everyone would stop wearing their effin douchepants and realize that some of the threads are not attacking threads but more debatable threads where people just want to talk about important pressing matters the threads wouldnt get locked or deleted.

Personally I stick within the group forums for the most part because these forums usually end up with me getting in trouble - there is a debating group if that is what you want.

So in short... its not exactly the mods fault - well it is because 9 times out of 10 I am sure they don't actually read the threads they just go "Oh ... post reported... delete/lock" ... but its really the whiney cry baby people who interpret the thread to be attacking and mean... it is also the reason we end up with 150 posts a day about how mean everyone is on this site.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    Really? I think the rate the hotness is just for fun and most people get rated by their eyes and smile. I think it's fun.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's already been said a couple times, it's not the subject that is the issue, it's the nature of the conversation and comments that result. I have read some of the silliest threads on MFP that degenerate into verbal boxing matches (or urinating contests if you will) between a handful of members trying to convince everyone that they are the only one with a viable opinion. It's really rather disturbing and in all honesty I at time wish the mods would nuke more threads than they do.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It is a huge problem. it is not wonder, do you even see kids outside anymore?? (evil video games) When I was a kid and when my children were young.. we were outside from the time we got out of school until it was dark.. We were moving: running, riding bikes etc.. We are rearing kids to sit in front of the TV and eat fast food. No wonder there is a problem.

I don't think it's the video games. It's the world we live in. My child can not go out in this neighborhood and play safely like we did as children. The school keeps them in because even out at recess they are in danger of getting hit by a random bullet. Kids go missing here all the time. It's not safe to play outside and not everyone can afford extra activities like karate or dance classes. I wish we lived in 'leave it to beaver' land, but we don't.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's already been said a couple times, it's not the subject that is the issue, it's the nature of the conversation and comments that result. I have read some of the silliest threads on MFP that degenerate into verbal boxing matches (or urinating contests if you will) between a handful of members trying to convince everyone that they are the only one with a viable opinion. It's really rather disturbing and in all honesty I at time wish the mods would nuke more threads than they do.

Maybe they should start deleting accounts instead of threads.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    My kid that was the gamer is skinny and the one that went outside to play got my metabolism. Also my great smile. LOL :)
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Maybe they should start deleting accounts instead of threads.

Or people could ignore the threads and not let them live when they get out of control... its pretty easy to walk away and not comment back (at least it is for me)
  • TeeDeezy
    Options
    First of all, this thread has made me feel better, so thanks for that. Second, I see a lot of posts about children being outside playing and the dangers involved with that and the flip side regarding parental overprotection. While it is evident that there are some extreme situations that could cause a parent to be overprotective and not want their kids to be playing outside without their immediate supervision, I still don't buy that as an excuse.

My child is also very much a bookworm. We are fortunate enough that we can afford for her to be in gymnastics, however, and she absolutely loves it. But, if we couldn't afford it, or if we were afraid that she may run into some teacher with an sick affinity that may abuse her, and were thus, to afraid to let her participate in sports or play outside, I'd still have her active somehow. It doesn't cost anything to feed your kids vegetables over potato chips, or do a 30 minute exercise routine with them in your living room three times a week. My kid loves to do sit-ups with Mom and Dad. And if we felt silly enough to do jumping-jacks...even better.
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If we have one more of these. I think we should look at making this a main topic in the community tab right under either Success Stories or chit chat.

"Topics that just will not die.......EVER"

What do we think?
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    or do a 30 minute exercise routine with them in your living room three times a week. My kid loves to do sit-ups with Mom and Dad. And if we felt silly enough to do jumping-jacks...even better.
    I'm 22 and I still do workout vids in my living room with my mum, we look ridiculous and laugh at each other.

I know, whenever I have children, I will make sure to keep active with them. I'm afraid that many times people like to lean on negativity as a reason rather than trying to find a positive and stick with health.
  • TeeDeezy
    Options
    And, no I don't really have a problem with those rate the girl/dude above you post either. Yeah, their superficial but, that's human nature and you can choose to participate or not...either way. It just eerkks me that we don't have topics with more sustenance.
  • TeeDeezy
    Options
    If we have one more of these. I think we should look at making this a main topic in the community tab right under either Success Stories or chit chat.

"Topics that just will not die.......EVER"

What do we think?

I'm all for that :).
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Thread hijack! Rate the OP's choice of topic. I give it a 4.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love how we can have a conversation about rating the person from the previous post on a hotness scale from 1-10, but we can't have a logical conversation about childhood obesity (which is a major problem facing this country) without MFP deleting it and modding it out.

It seems the mods answer to any post that gets people stirred up and forces them to consider why we are by FAAAAR the most obese country in the world, is to delete it (i.e. sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened). As a site that supposedly supports good dieting and responsible eating habits, I find that very disappointing.
    Actully not by that far now, England is catching up rapidly. But I agree, I herd on the news a few weeks ago that for the first time in history this generations life expectancy is lower that that of their parents....that's so crazy. And sad.

I heard, too, about the life expectancy! I was so surprised! I think it's a big combination of things. Women aren't staying home anymore, preparing meals. Because of the economy, no one has the time. It's all processed/fast foods because they are cheap and convenient. I've been saying for so long - make eating healthy cheaper! Make it more convenient for poor families, for families who don't have the time to cook because the parents both work full time. Also - education! Let's teach these kids how to eat right, how to make smart choices.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The problem is the manner in which these topics come up...they are not set up as nice, logical conversations to be had amongst people and what can and should be done to change it. They usually start in a condescending tone and become rude and aggressive very quickly between all parties and mods shut them down.

I disagree.

The last topic started today, the OP was very analytical and logical using no bad language.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I visited a small town in my state recently on a summer day. I didn't see ONE child! Anywhere! When I was a kid, we played outside from morning until sunset. We also didn't have a McDonald's in our town until I was in high school. Our worst eating habits were french fries after school at The Coffee Shop.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    The problem is the manner in which these topics come up...they are not set up as nice, logical conversations to be had amongst people and what can and should be done to change it. They usually start in a condescending tone and become rude and aggressive very quickly between all parties and mods shut them down.
    I disagree.

The last topic started today, the OP was very analytical and logical using no bad language.
    That part is true, but mentioning the old, bad topic in the first line then writing a wall of text (which was logical but too long and peoples minds were already elsewhere) already fired people up for round 2 of warfare.
This discussion has been closed.