MFP fail

Options

Replies

• SheRa1964
    Options
    Many parents now are a bit over protective, I think, and that seems to play some role in the decreased activity of children as a whole, but my own daughter rarely goes outside and plays anymore and it's nothing to do with video games. She's a reader and a singer....those are the things she enjoys doing. It's not as if I can say "Reading is bad for you." :smile:

When she was younger, however, she was more active. I'm NOT one of those over protective parents. She never owned knee or elbow pad, a bike helmet, our yard wasn't fenced in and I certainly didn't go outside to "watch" her play. She played like I played as a child....unsupervised and she just knew to come inside before the streetlights came on.

Really? Having a fenced in yard and a bike helmet is overprotective? Hmmm Disagree...
  • TeeDeezy
    TeeDeezy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thread hijack! Rate the OP's choice of topic. I give it a 4.

Ha! I'm assuming that's on a scale of 1-4. If so, I give it a 6.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I don't think it's just about playing outside, I think it's about junk food. It didn't used to exist, now it's everywhere. Particularly in America, or at least it seems that way when I visit family there.

Every time I read a post on this site about "clean food" I'm amazed - we seem to have got to the point where we need a special term for what used to be considered normal eating (and still is in most of the world).
  • TeeDeezy
    TeeDeezy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks for the positive conversation. I really don't want to discuss the old threads, albeit it is the reason I was upset and started this one. I would just like to see us (and MFP) come up with a way to be able to have logical and important discussions about family wellness. If that means creating an area for that discussion, modding it closely, and deleting inflammatory posts then so be it. Seems like a worthwhile pursuit to me. G2G for now.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It is a huge problem. it is not wonder, do you even see kids outside anymore?? (evil video games) When I was a kid and when my children were young.. we were outside from the time we got out of school until it was dark.. We were moving: running, riding bikes etc.. We are rearing kids to sit in front of the TV and eat fast food. No wonder there is a problem.

THIS ^^ Even my almost-4 year old constantly wants to use an iPad. No NO NO... get up and go play!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My kids are on both ends.... Seem to be on the computer a lot, but also go on bike rides and climb trees and LARP on the weekends.

Maybe more kids should have chores, sweeping the floor, dusting, cleaning the bathroom.. Maybe that'd help too, with a little extra activity.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Usually it isn't the OP. They are usually just expressing their opinion. The problem comes when people try to defend themselves, and when they run out of logical arguments, they turn to name calling. Instead of saying "I'm done, you are not understanding me" they run and tell mommy and daddy.

And as for blaming the molesters and rapists that are behind every corner....since I'm not a parent, I don't get it. I've lived here two years and there are kids outside playing every day in a group without incident (except for the rare time someone falls off their bike)

When I was a kid there was a rule, I couldn't leave the street without permission. No matter what. I was only allowed a certain amount of tv\video games. My mom always had the door open, and I often caught her looking out the door to make sure I was ok. If you're THAT worried, why don't you sit outside and do whatever you can outside while they are playing? Read or do yard work. Even bring out the laptop and play online if you must while you're kids can go out and play with friends.
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    I don't think it's just about playing outside, I think it's about junk food. It didn't used to exist, now it's everywhere. Particularly in America, or at least it seems that way when I visit family there.

Every time I read a post on this site about "clean food" I'm amazed - we seem to have got to the point where we need a special term for what used to be considered normal eating (and still is in most of the world).

VERY good point. But, like I said above, it all comes down to time. A lot of parents these days have to work two jobs, sometimes three, to make ends meet. Then they come home, try to spend some time with the kids, and barely get 5 minutes to do ANYTHING except the necessary things (yes, cooking is necessary, but sometimes you just can't). My boys are lucky. My husband makes enough that I can stay home with them. My eldest is special needs, and self limits his diet. He is overweight, and we try to make sure that he has healthier choices with the foods he DOES eat, but it's not easy. My youngest USED to eat anything, and now he is starting to emulate his big brother, which is not good, but he's skinny as a rail and INCREDIBLY active (like his Daddy was when he was little). We have to make sacrifices, but we're lucky enough to be able to do that. Not every parent is as lucky, and if you don't have much money and several mouths to feed, you'll take what will give you more food for less money, which unfortunately is cheap, processed food. At least it's cheaper here in southern WV.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Or people could ignore the threads and not let them live when they get out of control... its pretty easy to walk away and not comment back (at least it is for me)

What is this sorcery of which you speak?!?!
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Thread hijack! Rate the OP's choice of topic. I give it a 4.

Ha! I'm assuming that's on a scale of 1-4. If so, I give it a 6.

Haha excellent comeback.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I think the mods delete/lock it because people get rude as hell for no apparent reason. Having a logical conversation is one thing, but when people can't get their point across without being rude, then that's when they get deleted.

People are overly sensitive and take things too personally.

First off, these are words on a screen. I don't think most people are rude and one can not tell the context and emotion with written word.

STOP being so sensitive people and take personal responsibility for yourself and your family. Accountability goes a long way.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I love how we can have a conversation about rating the person from the previous post on a hotness scale from 1-10, but we can't have a logical conversation about childhood obesity (which is a major problem facing this country) without MFP deleting it and modding it out.

It seems the mods answer to any post that gets people stirred up and forces them to consider why we are by FAAAAR the most obese country in the world, is to delete it (i.e. sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened). As a site that supposedly supports good dieting and responsible eating habits, I find that very disappointing.
    Actully not by that far now, England is catching up rapidly. But I agree, I herd on the news a few weeks ago that for the first time in history this generations life expectancy is lower that that of their parents....that's so crazy. And sad.

My theory is that the current obesity problem is caused by improper homonym usage and misspelled words on the internet. I could be wrong, it may not be causation, but it certainly appears to be highly correlated.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love how we can have a conversation about rating the person from the previous post on a hotness scale from 1-10, but we can't have a logical conversation about childhood obesity (which is a major problem facing this country) without MFP deleting it and modding it out.

It seems the mods answer to any post that gets people stirred up and forces them to consider why we are by FAAAAR the most obese country in the world, is to delete it (i.e. sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened). As a site that supposedly supports good dieting and responsible eating habits, I find that very disappointing.

^^^^ I just watched Food Inc today for the first time. My oh my what an eye opener! Food in america is soooooo controlled you don't even realise. I wont preach, but you should watch it just to make sure you are awake to the truth.
    Actully not by that far now, England is catching up rapidly. But I agree, I herd on the news a few weeks ago that for the first time in history this generations life expectancy is lower that that of their parents....that's so crazy. And sad.

I heard, too, about the life expectancy! I was so surprised! I think it's a big combination of things. Women aren't staying home anymore, preparing meals. Because of the economy, no one has the time. It's all processed/fast foods because they are cheap and convenient. I've been saying for so long - make eating healthy cheaper! Make it more convenient for poor families, for families who don't have the time to cook because the parents both work full time. Also - education! Let's teach these kids how to eat right, how to make smart choices.

MFP is pissing me off!!! keep eating my posts!!!

Watch FOOD INC!!! WAKE UP EVERYONE!!!!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    poop. mfp eating post then repost!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It is a huge problem. it is not wonder, do you even see kids outside anymore?? (evil video games) When I was a kid and when my children were young.. we were outside from the time we got out of school until it was dark.. We were moving: running, riding bikes etc.. We are rearing kids to sit in front of the TV and eat fast food. No wonder there is a problem.

I don't think it's the video games. It's the world we live in. My child can not go out in this neighborhood and play safely like we did as children. The school keeps them in because even out at recess they are in danger of getting hit by a random bullet. Kids go missing here all the time. It's not safe to play outside and not everyone can afford extra activities like karate or dance classes. I wish we lived in 'leave it to beaver' land, but we don't.

Honestly, there were more missing children in the 70s than there are today. It is perfectly safe for kids to play outside.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Yes, it is very sad indeed.

What people think is normal is also SAD.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Usually it isn't the OP. They are usually just expressing their opinion. The problem comes when people try to defend themselves, and when they run out of logical arguments, they turn to name calling. Instead of saying "I'm done, you are not understanding me" they run and tell mommy and daddy.

And as for blaming the molesters and rapists that are behind every corner....since I'm not a parent, I don't get it. I've lived here two years and there are kids outside playing every day in a group without incident (except for the rare time someone falls off their bike)

When I was a kid there was a rule, I couldn't leave the street without permission. No matter what. I was only allowed a certain amount of tv\video games. My mom always had the door open, and I often caught her looking out the door to make sure I was ok. If you're THAT worried, why don't you sit outside and do whatever you can outside while they are playing? Read or do yard work. Even bring out the laptop and play online if you must while you're kids can go out and play with friends.

Or play with your kids. My parents used to get out in the yard and play with us, go bike riding, swimming, etc.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I think the mods delete/lock it because people get rude as hell for no apparent reason. Having a logical conversation is one thing, but when people can't get their point across without being rude, then that's when they get deleted.

^^ This.

And, why post about childhood obesity. Go out and do something about it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Many parents now are a bit over protective, I think, and that seems to play some role in the decreased activity of children as a whole, but my own daughter rarely goes outside and plays anymore and it's nothing to do with video games. She's a reader and a singer....those are the things she enjoys doing. It's not as if I can say "Reading is bad for you." :smile:

When she was younger, however, she was more active. I'm NOT one of those over protective parents. She never owned knee or elbow pad, a bike helmet, our yard wasn't fenced in and I certainly didn't go outside to "watch" her play. She played like I played as a child....unsupervised and she just knew to come inside before the streetlights came on.

Really? Having a fenced in yard and a bike helmet is overprotective? Hmmm Disagree...

In the 80s, there was no such thing as bike helmets. There were fences, but we climbed them. I played my fair share of video games, but I was also outside a lot, riding bikes, shooting hoops, kicking a soccer ball. We even did a neighborhood circus, of sorts, with all the neighborhood kids.

But yeah, I think of a fenced yard in terms of having a dog, not kids. Kids don't pay attention to fences. Bike helmets are fine too, really. I'm just saying that we never had them and the only kids that got hurt on their bikes were the ones who took them on busy streets and/or did stunts with them.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

In the 80s, there was no such thing as bike helmets. There were fences, but we climbed them. I played my fair share of video games, but I was also outside a lot, riding bikes, shooting hoops, kicking a soccer ball. We even did a neighborhood circus, of sorts, with all the neighborhood kids.

But yeah, I think of a fenced yard in terms of having a dog, not kids. Kids don't pay attention to fences. Bike helmets are fine too, really. I'm just saying that we never had them and the only kids that got hurt on their bikes were the ones who took them on busy streets and/or did stunts with them.

This exactly. :smile:

I'm in no way disparaging bike helmets, knee pads or any other safety measure. It's simply that I didn't have that and I never made my daughter have it. I believe my childhood was more fun for it, as I didn't spend my playtime scared that if I fell I'd crack my skull or that "Chester the Molester" was going to run off with me if I ventured too far from the house. I fell down, I got scrapes, bruises....so did she. We both climbed trees, we both played with snakes (rest assured, both she and I know how to identify the venomous from the non-venomous). I did learn about "stranger danger", but I was never frightened into not exploring my neighborhood and all the wonders it held. It's part of growing up in small and or rural towns, I suppose.

Perhaps "over protective" was the wrong terminology, but honestly, as was mentioned, if the kids aren't riding on a busy street or jumping off ramps on their bikes, chances are they're not going to get much more than a minor injury if they fall. And, as for letting them play unsupervised, again I'm in a smaller town...the one I grew up in....and I do realize that unsupervised playtime may not be an option in larger cities or rougher neighborhoods.
This discussion has been closed.