Why am I COLD all the friggin' time????

Options
OK, I'm hypothyroid. Been on Synthroid 2 years. I'm regulated, doing well, all my other numbers (blood work from annual physical, etc) are good. I've lost almost 25 lbs, am 5'5" tall, weighing just over 140 lbs & 39 years old. I've always had low-ish blood pressure (very bottom of the range of "normal"), I eat better than I have in the past. I also lost about 40 lbs (close to 190 down to 150) after my thyroid diagnosis (15 of those crept back after I quit working out) in 2010. When I was younger, I weighed less even than I do now (my original license listed a weight of 120 lbs, I think) and wore smaller clothes.

For the last couple of months, I'm cold MUCH of the time. Yes, the air conditioning is on, but it's the same (or set to a higher temp even) as it was before and I wasn't cold all the time. Like I will sit here with goose bumps all over, needing a sweater & blanket. At home I freeze sitting on the couch in the evenings. Everyone keeps wanting to tell me that it's because I've "lost so much weight" and that it's because I now have "less fat" than before. Ok, granted, I am smaller with less fat, but I was smaller with less fat 3 months ago and was fine. I was smaller with less fat 15-20+ years ago and was still fine. What gives????? :sad: I'm so sick of being cold all the time. It has definitely given me more sympathy for those people who ALWAYS have this. :frown:

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body was used to have all that extra fat to keep it warm and you're no longer insulated.

I'm always freezing, too. I have goosebumps right now.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to be cold all the time when I was eating on a 500 calories diet(was really ignorant about proper calorie restriction), how many calories are you eating per day?
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I used to be cold all the time when I was eating on a 500 calories diet(was really ignorant about proper calorie restriction), how many calories are you eating per day?
    A LOT. lol I have it set at 1700, I exercise 6 days a week and eat many of my calories back. I think I had a day last week that I ate somewhere around 2700 calories in a day. So I don't think it's due to too low calories, either... But thanks for the input.
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've always found that whenever I have been "smaller", I've always been sensitive to cold. Im even cold in the summer! I've been like it my entire life and always put it down to having "less insulation".
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I can't help you, but I can sympathize. I'm cold all the time too. I'm on synthroid and my numbers are good. So, supposedly it's not my thyroid. But, I can't think of any other reason.
    I'm even pregnant now and supposed to be warm all the time, but I'm still cold.
  • AHealthyMe15
    AHealthyMe15 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you getting the right nutrients and vitamins in your diet? Anemia? I know I am always freezing and I was border iron-deficient anemic for a while, still think I am. You should talk to your doctor because that was part of my problem!
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Are you getting the right nutrients and vitamins in your diet? Anemia? I know I am always freezing and I was border iron-deficient anemic for a while, still think I am. You should talk to your doctor because that was part of my problem!
    Because Synthroid does something to ferritin levels (iron storage), it can cause low iron. I'm on ferrous sulfate 325 mg daily and have been for a year. Both my iron and ferritin tested normal at the end of July.
    ETA: I also take a women's multi-vitamin daily. My nutrition numbers, as far as MFP shows, are decent. I'm always over on the vitamins & minerals, my macros are generally good. I go over on sodium a lot, but I'm working on that.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid at age 11, and I've been on Synthroid ever since. I've always been cold, regardless of thyroid or iron levels.

At this point, I don't know any different, so I deal with it.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    A LOT. lol I have it set at 1700, I exercise 6 days a week and eat many of my calories back. I think I had a day last week that I ate somewhere around 2700 calories in a day. So I don't think it's due to too low calories, either... But thanks for the input.

I'm metabolically normal, netting 1500ish and also am always cold. Especially after eating. I've heard it's a symptom of diabetes and such but I've had labs done on a few occasions and there's no evidence that anything is wrong with me. I'm also not anemic.

I was just assuming it was just part of being in a calorie deficit....just less energy for silly things like body heat
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I've always found that whenever I have been "smaller", I've always been sensitive to cold. Im even cold in the summer! I've been like it my entire life and always put it down to having "less insulation".

Yeah, but I really was NOT like this before when I was smaller. I've always been a person who was fine, as far as being cold goes, when I was smaller before. I knew plenty of folks who were cold all the time, but I just never was. SO this is new to me and I don't like it a bit!
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I can't help you, but I can sympathize. I'm cold all the time too. I'm on synthroid and my numbers are good. So, supposedly it's not my thyroid. But, I can't think of any other reason.
    I'm even pregnant now and supposed to be warm all the time, but I'm still cold.

Awww... That's awful! I'm so sorry! That must be miserable! Yes, I was hot while pregnant. And I generally tend to be a warm blooded type person, but not anymore. :grumble:
  • mariposa224
    Options

That was interesting. I'll have to check into a couple of them, but I'm not sure that any apply. We shall see. My best friend's daughter has that Raynaud's Phenomenon... That can be scary! She worked in food service & if she would go into the walk in cooler (or freezer) and stay for anything longer than a few seconds, her hands would literally start turning blue.
  • mariposa224
    Options

I'm metabolically normal, netting 1500ish and also am always cold. Especially after eating. I've heard it's a symptom of diabetes and such but I've had labs done on a few occasions and there's no evidence that anything is wrong with me. I'm also not anemic.

I was just assuming it was just part of being in a calorie deficit....just less energy for silly things like body heat
    I guess part of why it's bothering me so much is that I've NEVER been this way before, even at much lower weights, even before my thyroid was diagnosed (or since until now), even when my ferritin levels were bad last year, not when I lost 40 lbs 2 years ago. I just can't understand the reason... And it's making me crazy. I'll live, it's just crazy annoying.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Armour instead of Synthroid? One of the reasons I have made the choice to switch from synthetic hormone to natural hormones is because Synthroid is a T4-only medication, and usually those affected by thyroid have a problem converting T4 to T3. T3 is what helps to regulate temperature and although Armour has both T4 and T3, it can help.

Here's more information:

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/armour-or-synthroid/
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

I guess part of why it's bothering me so much is that I've NEVER been this way before, even at much lower weights, even before my thyroid was diagnosed (or since until now), even when my ferritin levels were bad last year, not when I lost 40 lbs 2 years ago. I just can't understand the reason... And it's making me crazy. I'll live, it's just crazy annoying.

I never was this way until a calorie deficit. I actually was quite the opposite. Hot and sweaty in the most ridiculous way. At least this way I don't sweat unless I'm working out and my boobs are always perky! lol
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Have you tried Armour instead of Synthroid? One of the reasons I have made the choice to switch from synthetic hormone to natural hormones is because Synthroid is a T4-only medication, and usually those affected by thyroid have a problem converting T4 to T3. T3 is what helps to regulate temperature and although Armour has both T4 and T3, it can help.

Here's more information:

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/armour-or-synthroid/
    I did read a little on this just after my diagnosis 2 years ago. I think maybe I should revisit it with my doctor.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    I never was this way until a calorie deficit. I actually was quite the opposite. Hot and sweaty in the most ridiculous way. At least this way I don't sweat unless I'm working out and my boobs are always perky! lol
    Right, but I lost 40 lbs two years ago, which obviously had me at a deficit for long enough to lose the weight at that time as well. I still sweat when I work out. I get hot if I'm outside when it's hot. I just get cold a LOT too. I'm glad you're finding a bright side for yourself in it. lol Hopefully I will soon too!
  • blondepsychobrat
    blondepsychobrat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was going to start a thread on the same subject! I am also feeling cold recently, although I have no thyroid issues and am eating approx. 1200 cal/day. I exercise regularly, and usually I am the person who was dressed in short sleeves because I was always so hot. My son even suggested I may be menopausal even though I am not yet 35!!!
    I am especially cold at night, will put on thick socks and snuggle under my blanket--never did that before!
  • LupaNera
    Options
    For the last 2yeas I had a basal temp of 25 C. So one degree below average. Then to find out that I just have a slow metabolism due to insulin resistance. Now I am on metformin and my temp is gradually rising. There can be different causes for slow metabolism. First you should do a temp graph just to see if there is only your perception or it is true. And go see a doc. Also cold hands and legs could indicate some micro circulation problems. I have a friend that has icy hands...