How do you squeeze in time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys, do childcare in home. Not regular hours either.
    Jillian michaels 30 day shred is only 20 minutes. I lift weights at my friends garage with my husband and we work out less than half hour. JM I do at start of naptime about 12:30 when lunch is cleaned up. Lifting I do e/o day or so before or after supper.
    I do Piyo with my Zumba instructor on Saturday mornings at 8am. Not much else going on, husband is home and while I gave up Zumba, Loving Piyo.
    I wish I would have been motivated to eat better before I started working out though. I truly believe loosing weight is 90% diet. Working out will give you a toned look, but i also want the scale to move. So, if nothing else, just track your foods.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    If I have time to surf the internet- I have time to exercise.
    If I have time to watch TV- I have time to exercise.
    If I have time to shop- I have time to exercise.

Exactly!

Sometimes when I am at home and I feel unmotivated to work out and I say to myself, "I don't have time" as I am sitting there watching Judge Judy. Then I tell myself to get up and go for a jog or bike ride. There is time.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I exercise anytime I can. I will drop and do 60 pushups wherever. I keep some 15 lb barbells under my desk at work for doing some bicep curls. Lots of walking, no stairs and park far away from the building.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    For me it is easiest if I go straight from the office to the gym. I find that if I go home first, it's easy to get distracted and I won't leave to go to the gym. I have a son that plays travel baseball and there have been numerous times when I've gone for a run while the kids were warming up because they have to be there an hour early. I have to sit through the games sweaty but at least I got my run in.

If I have plans at night, I wake up early and work out before work. I try not to make morning plans on the weekends so I can get my workout in and then have the rest of the day for family things.

I've run two marathons and the majority of my training runs were done before the rest of my family even got out of bed.

Also, I've let my family know that this is a priority for me. I'm going to be active every single day.
  • shoomai1227
    shoomai1227 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's just not about finding the time to squeeze in an exercise...it's about having the mentality and determination to do it too. Trust me when I tell you I used to be one of those as well. Granted I'm a single person with no kids so may not have the same type of schedule that some on this site do. I do leave a fulfilling life and had wondered about the same. I realized that I didn't have the mindset to make the effort to find the time like I do now.

Recent example: On occasion I do some business traveling and the hotels I stay at always have fitness facilities which I never even thought to use. On my recent trip to Baltimore a couple of weeks ago...I called ahead to the hotel I was staying at to ask if they had a fitness facility. One day during my trip and after recording my calorie intake, I was over 300 calories. As tired as I was...I was still determined to at least burn off the calories I was over. Not only did I do that...I was still 15 under. It may not seem like an accomplishment to some but to me it was. I was very proud of myself afterwards.

I hope this site with members in your similar situation combined with your will and determination will help you with your goal.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids all with different activities (football, dance, cheer, etc.) so count me in as an early riser. 5am I am running/riding for an hour or so. I also try to do something at lunch instead of sitting at the desk surfing the web.

One of my favorite quotes: If it is important, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a working mom with 2 boys, my alarm goes off at 4 am M-F. I can get in about 90-120 minutes per day. I also take night classes after dinner and homework a couple of times a week. On the weekend, I have back to back classes on Saturday morning. I'm usually home before my family is even awake!

My crazy schedule has been gradually built up over a 2 year period. Just add a little at a time.

AND reward yourself for your efforts! My personal favorite is a nap in the afternoon on the weekend. :happy:
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym that holds classes during lunch hour. A lot of my coworkers go there too, and we are really great at motivating and pushing each other. 45 minutes 5 days a week just from that.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Got up this morning at 5:15am with @Aremiw and did our C25K. Got finished before our daughter needed to get up for school.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels ripped in 30, everyone has 20 minutes.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you want it enough, you make it happen. It's not about finding the time, it's about making the time. I go right after work so it's part of my schedule. Routines leads to habits. Other than that, I have JM 30DS which is about 25 minutes long, short enough to fit in during nap time for the little one, right before bed or before I shower for work in the morning.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Set aside 10 minutes at a time. Sometimes that's all you need. Just give yourselves a few things to do, such as holding plank, pushups, crunches, air skipping rope, pick a line on the floor and jump on either side for a minute, leg raises, lunges, squats, jumping jacks. Repeat a few of those three or four times and that should be enough of a workout.

Buy some dumbells and you'll expand your repertoire as well. They're pretty cheap on Craigslist.

P.S. I don't know if you have kids, or how old they are, but the little buggers love counting and timing stuff. Enlist their help :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to carve out enough time to really exercise. How do you all do it?

BTW, not much I can give up at the moment to accommodate for exercise. I am tapped out.

Can you post your schedule please? hour by hour? Without being able to see the current schedule I can not possibly know how to improve upon it.
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 a.m. to go running.
  • bekinator
    Options
    I hear that dilemma!

I turned my daily commute to work into a bike ride (take same amount of time, maybe a few minutes less now) & lost 100lbs doing it.

Pick your poison & don't let anything stop you!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    The time it took to create this and keep checking back on it. Squeeze this....
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    I don't "squeeze it in." I schedule it. My alarm goes off at 4:45 so I can get it done and then get lunch ready and get myself out the door by 7:10. On the weekend, I get up and get it done before hubby gets up. Or if he wants to work out too and we have a plan for the day, we set the clock to get up early. My health and fitness is very important, so I plan for it.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I do my strength training on the weekends.
  • KellyR72
    KellyR72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:30am

This!
  • ccckwalk
    Options
    so much great advice I hope you can get motivation and inspiration from all these people who took time to write you!! Good luck girl! ~Corina