Cucumbers

Options
Gailey
Gailey Posts: 36 Member
Hi, does anyone have any interesting recipes using cucumbers please?.....I planted too many and my greenhouse is now bulging with them so I'd like to think I can put them to some good healthy use.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• creativephoenix
    creativephoenix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cucumber and tomato salad with some fresh herbs and balsamic vinaigrette.
  • beachlvr
    beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They make great "chips", dip w/ hummus or your fave lo-cal dip. Or I just toss them w/ rice vinegar and toasted sesame seeds.
    I also make a cucumber salad w/ tomatoes, basil, and lo-fat feta, olive oil and salt and pepper, super easty.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Cucumers and onions (I don't have the exact measurements, though).

Peeled and sliced cucumbers
    Peeled and sliced onions
    White vinegar
    Pickling spices

Mix all of the above into a large bowl with a lid. Seal and store in the fridge for a few days to allow for pickling. Use on salads or eat plain.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    sliced cucumbers with a sprinkled of sesame oil, sesame seeds, and soy sauce.
    " " with lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
  • leska1216
    Options
    Grate enough cukes to make about 4 cups. Put in large bowl. Add chopped onions and radishes (to taste). Salt to taste. Add cold water to fill bowl, stir. Taste, add more seasoning if needed. Add a squeeze or two of fresh lemon (or lime) to taste. Add some ice cubes. Yummy! cold cucumber soup. Grew up eating this.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    cucumbers and onions (my measurements)

2 cucumbers
    1 onion ( I slice in rings)
    Dill weed (to taste)
    4 tbps sugar ( I use splenda)
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    pepper to taste

mix it all up ( I put it in a tupperware container with a lid so I can just shake it once in awhile). Put it in fridge and if you are like me they won't be there long :)
  • tuckyfatbutt
    tuckyfatbutt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've heard that people make drinks with cucumbers but sorry I don't have a recipe.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Cucumers and onions (I don't have the exact measurements, though).

Peeled and sliced cucumbers
    Peeled and sliced onions
    White vinegar
    Pickling spices

Mix all of the above into a large bowl with a lid. Seal and store in the fridge for a few days to allow for pickling. Use on salads or eat plain.

We called them pickles as kids even though they arent quite. They are sooooooooooo good.
  • juliagoolia299
    Options
    Cucumber infused water, put slices in with ice and water (carbonated or not) in a pitcher, let infuse in the fridge for a bit, then enjoy!
  • lolobi1
    Options
    cucumber sandwiches like the Queen .....
  • Cheriehammond
    Options
    I personally just like to cut them up and use Wegmans Curry Yogurt dressing on them.. To spice it up I cut up some hot peppers
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I slice them and use them as a side with pretty much everything I cook. I grew too many this year too, and I only had four vines producing. I'm having the same issue with potatos and I hate potatos.
  • DHM50
    DHM50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slice them up thinly and put them in a container - add salt, vinegar, and some Bajan or hot pepper sauce to taste. They marinate and are a great snack. You can use a potato peeler to slice them.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Cut them into 2 inch sections, then with a melon baller scoop out some of the middle. Then you're left with a cup to fill with chicken salad, tuna salad, hummus, etc.

I eat a cucumber almost everyday sprinkled with a bit of seasoned salt. Nom!

Maybe find a gazpacho recipe?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    cucumber sandwiches like the Queen .....
    PEOPLE! Really, this is right. The cucumber tea sandwich is the BOMB!
    It is god's supreme gift to cuisine. Some people put a little butter on them. I use Mayo. (I know, I shouldn't say that here.)
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I love cucumbers and if you live anywhere near VA I would happily take some off your hands :)

I love to slice cucumbers, onions and tomatoes sprinkle in some herbs like sage rosemary and basil then drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over all of it. Let it sit for about 15 minutes or longer.

Also quick pickles. Just slice them put them in a jar with fresh garlic, fresh dill, a small red pepper, and some whole black peppercorns. I normally do a mix of half water 1/4 white vinegar and 1/4 apple cider vinegar. I always make the vinegar/water mix first then taste and dilute if you need to.

You can always juice them if you have a juicer. Cucumber juice is absolutely delicious.

Cucumber Soda- 12 oz seltzer water, 1/2 of a lemon juiced, a simple syrup of 1tbsp water & 1 tbsp sugar heated so the sugar melts. You'll have two tbsp of sweetener, sweeten to your liking. Slice a cucumber fairly thin and put about 8 slices in your glass. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then drink away (this soo refreshing!)

And finally if you like cheese, get a really nice soft cheese, like blue or a goats cheese. Take small slices and put on top of thicker cucumber slices and treat the cucumber like a cracker.

I don't know if i've mentioned it yet, I absolutely love cucumbers!!! :) I wish I was in your position right now.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Cucumber and tomato salad with some fresh herbs and balsamic vinaigrette.

Exactly!! I like to add a spring onion! :tongue:
  • SyxSix6
    Options
    bump!
    I LOVE cucumbers!!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I slice one up every day and eat it with whatever I'm having for dinner...no seasonings, no nothing. DELISH.