Cucumbers

Options

Replies

• lolobi1
    Options
    cucumber sandwiches like the Queen .....
    PEOPLE! Really, this is right. The cucumber tea sandwich is the BOMB!
    It is god's supreme gift to cuisine. Some people put a little butter on them. I use Mayo. (I know, I shouldn't say that here.)

U have great taste...High tea dining ;-)
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Slice them up thinly and put them in a container - add salt, vinegar, and some Bajan or hot pepper sauce to taste. They marinate and are a great snack. You can use a potato peeler to slice them.

Love this idea
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Cut them into 2 inch sections, then with a melon baller scoop out some of the middle. Then you're left with a cup to fill with chicken salad, tuna salad, hummus, etc.

I eat a cucumber almost everyday sprinkled with a bit of seasoned salt. Nom!

Maybe find a gazpacho recipe?

Love this.
  • Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    To add to that tzatziki sauce... don't forget a bit of dill!
  • Punchabear
    Options
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    twist on the classic cucumber salad:

thinly sliced cucumber, halved grape tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion and diced cantaloupe with fresh basil, a dash of balsamic vinegar and crumbled goat cheese.

it's one of my favorites :)
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I like cucumbers in fat free zesty Italian.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Cucumers and onions (I don't have the exact measurements, though).

Peeled and sliced cucumbers
    Peeled and sliced onions
    White vinegar
    Pickling spices

Mix all of the above into a large bowl with a lid. Seal and store in the fridge for a few days to allow for pickling. Use on salads or eat plain.

We called them pickles as kids even though they arent quite. They are sooooooooooo good.
    Bread & butter pickles. Tumeric, mustard seed, and celery seed. Sugar and salt too. Google it and you should get a recipe with measurements. Yums.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I love cucumbers and if you live anywhere near VA I would happily take some off your hands :)

I love to slice cucumbers, onions and tomatoes sprinkle in some herbs like sage rosemary and basil then drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over all of it. Let it sit for about 15 minutes or longer.

Also quick pickles. Just slice them put them in a jar with fresh garlic, fresh dill, a small red pepper, and some whole black peppercorns. I normally do a mix of half water 1/4 white vinegar and 1/4 apple cider vinegar. I always make the vinegar/water mix first then taste and dilute if you need to.

You can always juice them if you have a juicer. Cucumber juice is absolutely delicious.

Cucumber Soda- 12 oz seltzer water, 1/2 of a lemon juiced, a simple syrup of 1tbsp water & 1 tbsp sugar heated so the sugar melts. You'll have two tbsp of sweetener, sweeten to your liking. Slice a cucumber fairly thin and put about 8 slices in your glass. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then drink away (this soo refreshing!)

And finally if you like cheese, get a really nice soft cheese, like blue or a goats cheese. Take small slices and put on top of thicker cucumber slices and treat the cucumber like a cracker.

I don't know if i've mentioned it yet, I absolutely love cucumbers!!! :) I wish I was in your position right now.

^^^THIS! If you live in Inyo County Cali I'll take em off your hands
  • Lee_louh
    Lee_louh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tomato and Cucumber Salad.
    Halve a cucumber lengthways and de-seed. Cut each half into 4 strips and then cut into small chunks.
    De-seed 4 tomatoes and cut into small chunks.
    Finely slice 2 scallions (spring onions) or finely dice a quarter of a red onion.
    Mix together well with either balsamic vinegar or lime juice to coat.
    As an optional extra you can chunk and add avocado.
    You can also add cilantro (coriander), basil or parsley.
    Delicious served with fish, pork, chicken, crackers or just eaten alone.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I like to use them instead of crackers with things like tuna and cottage cheese on them.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do you have a juicer? Cucumbers are great vegetables for juicing! You can also use them in green smoothies. Also, I've had a certain kind of salad at Japanese restaurants that involve cucumber, seaweed, and sesame oil

yes cucumber juice!! so healthy, low cal and great for your skin!!!
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Donate some to a local soup kitchen!
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    yum sounds interesting
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I vote for homemade tzatziki sauce. My almost 3-year-old won't use ketchup, mustard or mayo. She will only eat tzatziki and i can't blame her.. its' divine.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If you make ranch dressing with a mix you can substitute a cucumber for the milk, and just run it all through the blender.

It's easy to make the pickled cucumbers you sometimes see at Chinese buffets. I don't have an exact recipe, but it's basically honey and vinegar with the peeled cucumbers, then let them sit awhile. I'm sure Google can point you toward specifics.

Cucumber sandwiches are good, especially with a little dill and cream cheese.

Slice cucumbers and onions very thin and add salt and vinegar (mayo would be optional if you want to add it) for a simple salad.

I had an Indian fried bread called thalipeeth that had shredded cucumbers in it, and was delicious! I don't have that recipe to hand, but surely there is one online. Sounds weird, but was really tasty.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating salads of just cucumbers, apple cider vinegar and some Mrs. Dash. So simple but so tasty.

Curried cucumber soups are really good....http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-cucumber-soup/

Got any tomatoes? You could make gazpacho!

I saw a smoothie the other day for cucumber strawberry smoothie. I haven't made it but it sounds good. http://joythebaker.com/2012/01/strawberry-cucumber-smoothie/

ETA: Piece of whole wheat bread, tahini and cucumber...make an open faced sandwich!