Does a higher heart rate mean more fat burn?

My heart rate is very high, it stays at like 100,. and sometime I will randomly check it and its up to like 194, by just sitting there, I am always fidgeting around and have tons of energy,

Also it is supper easy for me to lose weight when I really try, and I will lose a bunch of it,

so I was wondering if any one knows if having a higher heart rate means your body uses more calories?

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Have you talked to you doc about your heart rate. 100 is rather high and spiking to 190's can be an indication of heart rhythm problems which can be very dangerous.
  • Have you talked to you doc about your heart rate. 100 is rather high and spiking to 190's can be an indication of heart rhythm problems which can be very dangerous.

Yea they told me some people just have higher heart rates, my husband is the same way
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Some people do, I do, but not 194. That sounds scary to me.
  • Some people do, I do, but not 194. That sounds scary to me.

yea it was scaring the crap out of me, but I have seen many different drs about it and they all tell me evry thing seems fine, one thing though I can not have any coffee or I will have a majour panic attack
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Get a different doctor!!! I also recommend getting your thyroid checked, it could be overactive. 100 is on the high side of normal. Pretty much the max.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    I don't normally bit 194 during my most extreme workouts where I feel like I'm going to die. Something's not right.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 733 Member
    Consult a new doctor. Per Mayo Clinic "Consult your doctor if your resting heart rate is consistently above 100 beats a minute (tachycardia)". http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-rate/AN01906
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    at 194... maybe it's the test. How do you test?
  • The higher it is, the worse it is for you health because your heart needs to work harder to get your blood pumping
    I think my heart rate is somewhere between 50 and 59.(It was 59bpm last month but it's most likely decreased.)

You might not be able to hear it, but for every beat you feel, your heart beats a second time so your heart is actually beating 200 times.

I suggest doing more cardio to decrease it. (Cardio = cardiovascular exercise = makes heart work hard = good for the heart, and all that.)

tl;dr Higher heart rate = life threateningly baaad
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    Go see a cardiologist. You're stats sound like an issue with heart problems.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • The higher it is, the worse it is for you health because your heart needs to work harder to get your blood pumping
    I think my heart rate is somewhere between 50 and 59.(It was 59bpm last month but it's most likely decreased.)

You might not be able to hear it, but for every beat you feel, your heart beats a second time so your heart is actually beating 200 times.

I suggest doing more cardio to decrease it. (Cardio = cardiovascular exercise = makes heart work hard = good for the heart, and all that.)

tl;dr Higher heart rate = life threateningly baaad

Yea I heard that, the lower the better, but still I wonder if since its higher do I normally burn more fat just by being
  • Get a different doctor!!! I also recommend getting your thyroid checked, it could be overactive. 100 is on the high side of normal. Pretty much the max.

Well I have consulted with about 4 different doctors, and they did all the tests, and checked my heart with a moniter, they did all the stuff and basically said nothing seems to be wrong, (of cource they tell me to lose weight) but toher then that they can't point out any kind of issue, they said heart rate depends on the person. Soooo I duno, but I have gone to the drs so much they are starting to want to make me go to the psycoligist saying I am a hypocondract lol
  • Go see a cardiologist. You're stats sound like an issue with heart problems.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yea thats a good idea, I think I will, cause they will know best, and heart desese is in my family
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    MAYO CLINIC SUCKS
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    unless you're a hamster that's not a good resting heart rate. i agree you should get a second opinion
  • My sister was having episodes of tachycardia. Her heart was beating so fast that she felt like she was exercising, but she was not. She died from a sudden cardiac death at age 41. Please get another opinion.
  • No, it does not necessarily mean that you burn more calories. When people are doing strenuous workouts-- one way to see where your body is with respect to recovery -- is how in line your HR when you wake up is...

For example - I have a resting heart rate of 56. If my resting HR is in the mid to high 60s, it's a sign that my body is still working overtime to recover, which means that you're burning more residual calories.

However, when you're talking close to 200 -- it's a different ball game. When I do hill repeats on my bike or quarters around the track, my HR might find its way into the high 170s.

I agree with the others-- see a cardiologist.
  • No, it does not necessarily mean that you burn more calories. When people are doing strenuous workouts-- one way to see where your body is with respect to recovery -- is how in line your HR when you wake up is...

For example - I have a resting heart rate of 56. If my resting HR is in the mid to high 60s, it's a sign that my body is still working overtime to recover, which means that you're burning more residual calories.

However, when you're talking close to 200 -- it's a different ball game. When I do hill repeats on my bike or quarters around the track, my HR might find its way into the high 170s.

Well thank you fo being the only one to specifiacally answering my question, yea I think it would be smart to get checked YET AGAIN for like the fifth time, with a specalist any way, it's not always at that high, it will sometime be at 74, right now it was 84, but ocasionally I will check it and it will be at around 200. and my legs will be bouncing up and down from my enegry, soo I duno, my husband is supper lean and fit and he will get a high heart rate to, and with what all the docs said I'm not to scared, I mean they did all the heart tests with all those mechines, and the blood tests, they literally did everything, and everything came out great, but just to be on the safe side I will check with a cardioligist
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Some people do, I do, but not 194. That sounds scary to me.

Yeah me too! If i were you i'd go and get a second opinion about that one! 194 is WAY too high, even for someone with a high heart rate. Worrying...

Jx
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    No, it does not necessarily mean that you burn more calories. When people are doing strenuous workouts-- one way to see where your body is with respect to recovery -- is how in line your HR when you wake up is...

Well thank you fo being the only one to specifiacally answering my question, yea I think it would be smart to get checked YET AGAIN for like the fifth time, with a specalist any way, it's not always at that high, it will sometime be at 74, right now it was 84, but ocasionally I will check it and it will be at around 200. and my legs will be bouncing up and down from my enegry, soo I duno, my husband is supper lean and fit and he will get a high heart rate to, and with what all the docs said I'm not to scared, I mean they did all the heart tests with all those mechines, and the blood tests, they literally did everything, and everything came out great, but just to be on the safe side I will check with a cardioligist

We're just showing concern for you hun. x