Stevia

2»

Replies

• juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    i would be lost without it
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Stevia is a plant and tastes sweet. My parents grow it and it is way healthier than sugar or sweeteners. So I switched to Stevia, brand name Truvia. And then... I read an article that says Stevia in the store is very processed and just as bad as the rest of the fake sugars :sad:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    I use Truvia sometimes which is similar to Stevia and have noticed that I get more headaches and wondered why. Interesting!

I usually use Sweet 'n Low but occasionally switch to Truvia.

So, now I will see if the headaches coincide with the days that I use Truvia.
    I use actual stevia extract like it's going out of style, with no problems.
    I remember reading the label on Truvia, and putting it back on the shelf, 'cause I thought it had other things in it, too.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    I use Truvia sometimes which is similar to Stevia and have noticed that I get more headaches and wondered why. Interesting!

I usually use Sweet 'n Low but occasionally switch to Truvia.

So, now I will see if the headaches coincide with the days that I use Truvia.
    I use actual stevia extract like it's going out of style, with no problems.
    I remember reading the label on Truvia, and putting it back on the shelf, 'cause I thought it had other things in it, too.
    Where do you buy plain Stevia extract??
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I don't have any sensitivities to it as far as I can tell. I use the liquid extract from Whole Foods. A few drops to sweeten a beverage and a $20 bottle lasts me half a year. Been using it for over a year.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I have no problem with it. I use it a lot. I use the liquid and the powder. "Stevia in the raw" is at stores now and is not pure maybe it would work better for you.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Check the brand you use, not all are the same. Some have added chemicals and crap in them. Some are produced by crappy chemical processes. I only use Sweetleaf stevia. Check their website. They are different. They only use a natural filtered water process. They don't have added crap like "maltodextrin" and junk thrown in their stevia. If you're going to use a "natural" product, take the time to make sure you're actually getting the pure and natural product. The one sold at Sam's Club, is not. Truvia is not either. It contains sugar alcohols known as Erythritol, a sweet substance, C4H10O4, extracted from certain lichens and algae, used medicinally as a vasodilator. Excessive consumption of erythritol (over 80 grams per day) may result in digestive upset, diarrhea, and bloating. So, just thought I'd mention this and maybe some of you experiencing issues, might want to give the real, pure product a try. <g> http://www.sweetleaf.com/about/fact-sheet

This. It may not actually be the stevia that's causing the problems, but whatever additives are in it - especially if you have similar problems with other sugar replacements as well. Maltodextrin can bother some people's systems in a variety of ways, and erythritol can cause stomach upset as mentioned above. I only use Sweetleaf (in liquid form, but have also used the powder in packets with inulin added) and I have never had a negative reaction to it.
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    I also use Agave nectar. I found it quite by chance, and for some things, it's just great. For others, it seems to leave a bitter taste to them, such as parfaits.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    To those of you who say agave nectar is not natural read the following link.

http://www.allaboutagave.com/health-benefits-of-agave-nectar.php

Because of it's low glycemic index it is a great subsitute for oter sweetners. especially for diabetics.

I was recently speaking with my doctor about this because my fiance has diabetes. While it is lower on the glycemic index, that is because it goes right to your liver instead of digesting normally. It won't hurt you if you are only using it occasionally, but if you are using it regularly it can actually cause you to become more insulin resistant.
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    I just hate the taste.

No doubt, that stuff tastes like Crap!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    I'm all for natural stuff, but when the natural stuff tastes worse than licking the floor of a meth lab run by crackheads, I stay away. (I don't use stevia).

My wife and I have been using birch-extracted xylitol for well over 5 years and have had no issues with it. I use it in my coffee pretty much daily, we bake with it, etc. It's a 1:1 sweetness compared to sugar, slightly less calories, and lots of health benefits (look it up). I use xylitol ketchup and xylitol barbecue sauce and xylitol teriyaki sauce... All taste great.

I like the taste of agave nectar, but I read a lot of bad stuff about it, so I avoid that too now. I use local honey or xylitol-based maple syrup instead.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    I'm all for natural stuff, but when the natural stuff tastes worse than licking the floor of a meth lab run by crackheads, I stay away. (I don't use stevia).

My wife and I have been using birch-extracted xylitol for well over 5 years and have had no issues with it. I use it in my coffee pretty much daily, we bake with it, etc. It's a 1:1 sweetness compared to sugar, slightly less calories, and lots of health benefits (look it up). I use xylitol ketchup and xylitol barbecue sauce and xylitol teriyaki sauce... All taste great.

I like the taste of agave nectar, but I read a lot of bad stuff about it, so I avoid that too now. I use local honey or xylitol-based maple syrup instead.
    Where do you find these products... online? I like Stevia but only for certain things. It has a very loud taste. Please give me the info.:smile:
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 733 Member

So, umm, exactly how many crackhead meth lab floors have you sampled? *giggle*
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member

Where do you find these products... online? I like Stevia but only for certain things. It has a very loud taste. Please give me the info.:smile:
    Sorry for the delay in replying... I've been busy for a few days. Anyhow, I order my xylitol stuff from xylitolcanada.com, but if you're in the USA, you could try xylitolusa.com. Of course there are other sources and many manufacturers (much of it is corn-derived, though it all tastes the same). You can probably find xylitol in your local stores, too (maybe not the syrups and sauces).

So, umm, exactly how many crackhead meth lab floors have you sampled? *giggle*
    One too many.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Gosh... this is all good info!!!

I started using Stevia in the Raw a few months ago because I was informed that it was better for me than the Equal I had been using. I also noticed that I have been getting more headaches. I think I'll research other options, and quit the Stevia all together to see if that helps and brings me back to normal.

Thanks for all the good info!