Food Addiction/Obsession

Options
124»

Replies

• mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Water and lots of it. What I hear it flushes out the fat not literally but read up on it. There is a book on my kindle called Lose weight without dieteting by David Nordmark and its a free download read the pages about food it should really help you
  • louised88
    Options
    I can sympathise, I'm going through the same thing! I used to eat out of habit at nighttime as well, so I've taken up knitting (I'm really, really bad at it, but it's hard to eat when both hands are occupied) and I have a cup of chai or options hot chocolate, so I still have the sensation of something hot before I sleep.

I used to think, wait an hour, if you still want it then, have it, but I just spent the entire hour obsessing over whatever it was. Now I wait 24 hours if I'm craving something.

Pre-logging is great too, if you can do it, if you know you have 200 cals left over, you can plan when to snack and you know you shouldn't be randomly eating stuff, so you don't tend to mindlessly grab food.

If you're home all day, it's harder, so I would try and find some distractions around the house, going for a walk, calling a friend, making some fancy tea (the kind you have to steep and then savour), putting on music and dancing like a mad person. If I REALLY want a handful of biscuits or something, I go and look at pictures of myself and then pictures of women whose bodies I admire, go and have a look online for fit people with your body type.

You'll find your own coping mechanisms, to be honest, being aware of the issue is the first step. Good luck!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    For some reason, our society has placed a stigma on getting help psychologically when it is needed. We don't think twice about the doctor when we're hurt, or the dentist for a toothache, but seeing a shrink is seen as a sign of weakness. With the addiction that you are describing, I would recommend some type of therapy/counseling/support group. This does not have to be your battle alone, seek out some qualified professional help. You need to determine why you are using food in this manner, and the causes behind that behavior. We are all willing to lend support, but it sounds as though you need more than just the support of an nline community to understand and work through this.
    This. Therapy helped me realize that my eating issues weren't just bad habits or a lazy lifestyle. I had been using food to stifle painful feelings since childhood. Now that I'm dealing with those, my relationship with food is really changing for the better.
  • LisabethG
    LisabethG Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I talk to myself. Sometimes out loud... but it works. I say, "You allow yourself a splurge day. (mine is Fridays.) Wait until the
    splurge day and see if that's really what you want." By Friday, that item isn't what I'm craving at all, I've made it through the
    week with hitting my target in calories every day and the weight comes off. Allowing a splurge day for me is important
    psychologically. I am not saying no, I'm saying, not today. Hope it helps you.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Eric5150ii is spot on. You need to learn what is triggering your responses. Been there; after working with my therapist most of my emotional food responses are gone. Occasionally they come up but can usually sees them coming and derail them. Sometimes they come too fast; then I look back over the situation, discover the trigger and remember it for next time.

It is incredibly freeing to eat too live, not live to eat.

kudos for starting here; mfp is a wonderful resource.

Believe in yourself and you can do it...we're here too help!

x
  • albelite
    albelite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, oh I do feel for you as I have the same problem, I am a compulsive overeater and have food thoughts all day long and like an alcoholic have been a secret eater and thought of food as my only friend and happiness at times. I was 350 lbs and lost 126 lbs but over the last couple of years I have been out of control just eating.....I am diabetic and sugar is my addiction mostly! Well 15 days in I have lost 16.5 lbs and logging every mouthful I can, and have decided to even log when I go over and at Christmas which will be hard. Just being on here you know you are not alone and if you need any help I will try and motivate you and vice versa if you want to add me as a friend, like you say and in the fellowship I did attend it 'a day at a time' and really if you think you have to give up everything for the rest of your life it is a daunting thought but just for today is much easier and I for one look forward to the morning when I don't feel the guilt and shame after 'the day/night before', you can do this I know it will be hard but well worth the struggle, I kept thinking my time had come but somehow am clawing my way back and not ready to die yet. regards Sue
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Here's what I would do:

First, congrats for taking steps to change! You have now taken the biggest hurdle!

- Don't try to change your entire eating lifestyle in one day. you'll go crazy. Change little things, one day at a time, to allow your body to get used to it.

- make sure you have healthy alternatives for the unhealthy food you crave.

- what ever you eat, weigh it and log it accurately.

- Protein fills you up, have some salmon, tuna or a hardboiled egg with your meals if you find that meals do not satisfy you untill the next meal.

- Water fills you up

- Be kind to yourself. Don't deprive yourself of the thing you love the most. Just eat a small portion of it. If you fear that you will finish the entire bag of m&m's (or whatever it is), aks your husband to measure out a little portion for you and give you only that :-)

- Limit your access to unhealthy choices. --> don't buy them ...

- The people around you are your most vital support system. Ask them for help, encouragement,...

Good luck!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk. :) I generally feel really good afterwards and it gives me something to do when I'm bored. Also, you can eat extra calories sometimes if you walk enough which is great. Basically, I found I had to find something to do so I didn't sit and stare at the tv as that seems to get my hungry. Also, protein seems to help a lot. I get less hungry when I eat protein.

Monica
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • operasinger
    Options
    Never give up. One day, one hour at a time. I am back on here after almost two or three years being off. Daily recording is the key. Planning ahead is the key, daily exercise of some sort and never giving up.