How Often do you Weigh Yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but I officially weigh in every friday. I don't stress about it much but for me it helps keep me on track.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same day, same time of day, same scale. Works for me. Good Luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    This is an issue for me too. I weigh myself daily but at the same time every morning. I knew I had consumed too much sodium the last few days so I drank a ton of water last night to help 'flush' it out. I ended up weighing SEVEN pounds more this morning and bloated everywhere! I'm sooo glad that I KNOW it's from water retention, but it's still annoying.

I just read on fitbie that according to a journal titled 'Obestity', people who weigh themselves dailly weigh LESS. So, I'm going to keep doing it but try harder to keep my sodium down. If I avoid the scale, I know why... it's because I know it'll be higher. That's what I did when I was obese! Using it daily keeps things in check for me. I can't be one of those people who weighs monthly or weekly.
  • evita6983
    evita6983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know it is really hard to get out of that mindset but trust me, once you do it is worth it. It's not an overnight thing but my mind feels so much more sane now. I weigh myself maybe twice a month. I have stayed about the same, around 143 but my before and after pictures clearly show a difference. I started running so my whole body is tighter and I went down a size in clothing. I try to focus on health, not weight because ultimately that is going to get you to the place where you want to be!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I try my best to weigh only once a week, but that doesn't always happen. lol. Some weeks I'm obsessed with weighing myself, and then others I say screw it.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself whenever I have time to get naked in my bathroom, but I only record it once a week.
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily. I get the look at weekly or longer trends completely, and that's what I do (Withings scale so it tracks the trend automatically).

I don't get weighing weekly at all though, because the daily fluctuation still applies!

You could weight yourself on a Sat. at 150, wait a week, weigh yourself again at 149 and think you had lost a pound.

Or, just through daily fluctuation, that first Sat. you could have water weight and be 151, and the next week you could have just taken a big poop (excuse me) and be 148, and conclude you had lost 3 lbs.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter one bit what I think though -- as long as people eat less and work out more, the scale will reflect success over time!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    About once every couple of weeks. The numbers on the scale don't mean squat to me. As long as I'm happy with my muscle definition and the way my clothes look and feel I don't need my scale.
  • liltorres
    liltorres Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every friday & keep a log here at work. I work in a medical facility & my doctor is in the same building. The first time I went into his office I stood on the scale & it said that I weighed much more then I thought. I could'nt belive it & I told my doctor Im trying so hard how can this be & he says maybe it would help if I took my foot off the scale. he had a good laugh over that one, but he's cheering me on.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I have been on MFP since January and I am finally getting better, but it takes time and that's OK! Everybody has issues, this just may not be one of them for some.
  • fishyfoo77
    Options
    I weigh everyday and Friday's my official weigh in day. The last friday in the month, I take my measurements, body fat % and a progress photo to add to my album. Although I lost 8 pounds last month and then I went up 3 pounds the next morning. WTF? :(

i noticed my body does this (gain 3 pounds from one day to the next) when i dont drink enough water.

i like to weigh every morning and sometimes at night as well but thats only so i know what i can expect in the morning. i only log it weekly though.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    last year I lost 7 stone, I weighed myself every day (I tend to get addicted to things) I stopped weighing myself and have put 21lb back on... I decide 3 days ago I am gonna shift this extra weight and hopefully another 14lb on top. I too chart my weight. My exercise was toning tables I lost 51" but at the moment I'm not well enough to go back to the toning tables.

lol I had to Google a stone, but now that I have I must say congrats!! I was thinking like 7 pounds-not that 7 pounds is not great, but now that I know a stone is 14 pounds I'm extra impressed!! I learn so much from mfp!!
  • mmccloy12
    mmccloy12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. Can't help it. But my mindset is that I know that it will fluctuate. I also see big peaks and valleys at certain times during my mentraul cycle and know that is why I may see weight gain.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think I would go insane weighing myself every day, I usually do it at the same time once a week.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single morning and almost never fluctuate more than half a pound. And I lose weight really slowly too, so I see the same number over and over and over again before it changes. :tongue:
  • Zyphun
    Zyphun Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning. I keep two records though, my weekly (official) and daily. I started keeping my measurments weekly (for body fat calculations) and I now monitor my body fat percentage and water percentage based on what my scale tells me. My manual calculations or the readings from my scale don't match and I am still trying to figure out which is accurate and why.

This last weekend I went crazy on sodium rich food and I saw my weight jump up four pounds. As I went back to my sensible meals I watched that extra weight drop off. The water reading went up and down right along with it.

I enjoy the stats and such in losing weight. As a big role-playing geek, I like the idea of what I am doing as a game. I keep record of all my work outs and set mini goals based on what I am looking for. Scary how much fun that can be. And the rewards are a lot better then what you'd find online or on paper. ;)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I weigh everyday and Friday's my official weigh in day. The last friday in the month, I take my measurements, body fat % and a progress photo to add to my album. Although I lost 8 pounds last month and then I went up 3 pounds the next morning. WTF? :(

i noticed my body does this (gain 3 pounds from one day to the next) when i dont drink enough water.

i like to weigh every morning and sometimes at night as well but thats only so i know what i can expect in the morning. i only log it weekly though.

I drink a lot of water at work. I have a 20 oz water bottle that I fill up four times a day in addition to another water bottle I keep in my lunch that I put some flavoring into for something different. So I'm drinking at least 80 oz of water when I work Wednesday-Saturday. I drink at least 60 oz of water on my days off. Some days I slack but not very often. I don't get it. *sigh* I just think the Weight Loss fairies are messing with me. :P

And I've been trying to get my weight back down to where it was last Friday and it just won't budge. :(
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but I do not get all worked up when I see a fluctuation in the scale so long as I see it progressively go down overall. I'm fully aware that there are different factors that can affect the scale (weight lifting more and therefore having more muscle mass, eating poorly, time of the month and more), but I like to get an average for each week. I also measure myself every 2 weeks or so to see the movement in those numbers as well.