Low Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So, say for example i started eating much more as of today. Do you think that's likely to stop me from having health problems or has the damage already been done?

I don't know how long you have been eating like this. If it's a short time then you are probably fine but if it has been long term then there could be some damage but this can be reversed with a normal healthy diet. Good luck :flowerforyou:

Thanks! :smile:
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    OP, I can relate to what you're saying. Most days I struggle to reach 1,000 calories. Just like you, I eat when I'm hungry. Although I think my food intake is fairly well balanced - other than I need to work in more veggies. But the thing is, I always eat this way and even so I'm still over weight. Not by a lot - I weigh under 140 - but according to body calculators I've found on MFP I have 31% body fat. How accurate that is, I don't know but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty close. I've never understood how this can be, with as little as I eat and yet it is. So yes, I think it is a bad thing. Not sure how to fix it though.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Just to agree with what others are saying - yes you definitely need to eat more, and on a consistent basis. Taking a vitamin pill isn't gong to do the job. Your body needs a good amount of proper nutrients - fats, proteins, carbs, and it also needs the actual energy (calories) provided from food. Your body needs calories to perform all its basic functions. Even the micronutrients are important - your body absorbs them much better from food than through a pill. It's not that uncommon to struggle with this - threads like this crop up frequently. It's also very common for people to not feel hungry when they are consistently undereating. That lack of hunger should not be taken to mean that your body doesn't need more food; it's just stopped asking you for more food. That's not a good sign.

To get more food in without feeling stuffed, aim for more calorie dense foods like seeds, nuts, avocados, nut butters, full fat dairy products etc. Full fat everything. Add olive oil to your cooking. I see that you had a portion of Hairy Dieter's low fat pie for example (which might be what another poster thought was a ready meal). When you're so low on calories you shouldn't be looking for diet versions of things. Don't go for the "light choices" sandwiches! Add a little extra pasta to your portions, instead of one egg, have two. Instead of 5 cherry tomatoes, have 10, instead of a small banana, have a large one. Remember you can also drink your calories - milk, protein shakes, smoothies etc. A lot of this is psychological, even if it doesn't feel like it. When you are so used to eating a certain way, it can be hard to step out of that zone. Make small changes and keep at it until they become habit.
  • Joannie30
    Options
    Just to agree with what others are saying - yes you definitely need to eat more, and on a consistent basis. Taking a vitamin pill isn't gong to do the job. Your body needs a good amount of proper nutrients - fats, proteins, carbs, and it also needs the actual energy (calories) provided from food. Your body needs calories to perform all its basic functions. Even the micronutrients are important - your body absorbs them much better from food than through a pill. It's not that uncommon to struggle with this - threads like this crop up frequently. It's also very common for people to not feel hungry when they are consistently undereating. That lack of hunger should not be taken to mean that your body doesn't need more food; it's just stopped asking you for more food. That's not a good sign.

To get more food in without feeling stuffed, aim for more calorie dense foods like seeds, nuts, avocados, nut butters, full fat dairy products etc. Full fat everything. Add olive oil to your cooking. I see that you had a portion of Hairy Dieter's low fat pie for example (which might be what another poster thought was a ready meal). When you're so low on calories you shouldn't be looking for diet versions of things. Don't go for the "light choices" sandwiches! Add a little extra pasta to your portions, instead of one egg, have two. Instead of 5 cherry tomatoes, have 10, instead of a small banana, have a large one. Remember you can also drink your calories - milk, protein shakes, smoothies etc. A lot of this is psychological, even if it doesn't feel like it. When you are so used to eating a certain way, it can be hard to step out of that zone. Make small changes and keep at it until they become habit.

Thanks for that response. I wish i could add more pasta (because i love it) but i have a pre-existing medical condition which requires me to watch my carbs. (not related to my low cal eating)

I wish i could eat nuts but i HATE them! I've tried lots of times but i just can't stomach them at all.

As from today i'm on a serious mission to up my calories by as much as i can. I've just spent the past hour crying about my problem but i know thats not going to fix it.

Should i up/reduce my exercise? (currently 4 times a week cardio/strength but i dont log it due to no hrm)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't reduce your exercise, but that makes it even more important to up your calories! Do you like dairy products? If so, that could be useful. Also, I saw eggs in your diary, so a few more of those maybe. I think protein powder could be very useful for you as well, especially as you have to watch carbs. It might be worth going to your GP about this and seeing if they will refer you to a nutritionist for some advice. You're obviously trying. They might be able to recommend something different.
  • Joannie30
    Options
    I wouldn't reduce your exercise, but that makes it even more important to up your calories! Do you like dairy products? If so, that could be useful. Also, I saw eggs in your diary, so a few more of those maybe. I think protein powder could be very useful for you as well, especially as you have to watch carbs. It might be worth going to your GP about this and seeing if they will refer you to a nutritionist for some advice. You're obviously trying. They might be able to recommend something different.

Yes i AM trying!! Thank for realising that! :smile:

I do like dairy products and eggs and i eat them quite often. I eat meat in my evening meal every night. I know i'm still not getting enough protein though...

I know i need to do something about this before i harm myself. I just need some help. :cry:

I'm currently eating some banana and wholemeal toast (even though i'm not feeling hungry). If it will do me good in the long run though i just have to do it.

Thank you!
  • Joannie30
    Options
    I looked at a few days of your diary and I saw days with 480ish calories, 700 something and a high of 1092.

That IS far too low. There aren't many ways to "not be hungry" eating that little: eating disorder, or such a slow in metabolism that you don't feel hunger, or both.

ETA: Major depression could also cause the inappetance.

I don't have major depression. I'm happier now than i've ever been in my life, but yeah, i see what you're saying. Sometimes i do leave things out of my diary, by the way (if i don't know how to log them or just forget to add em or whatever) and at least once a week my partner and i eat out so those cals may not be accurate.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Joannie30
    Options
    I've just gone through my whole diary, recipies etc and i've realised that i have been TOTALLY UNDERESTIMATING my calories on some of the things i've been logging!!!!!!!!!!! Just by not adding olive oil in my recipies i've been logging 100 or so less cals than i've been having! So manybe my problem isn't as bad as i thought.....?
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I noticed in your diary that you eat a diet ready meal on occasions. If you know you're not getting enough calories why not switch to a regular meal?
    I agree with the extra protein as well....

Diet ready meal? I haven't eaten a ready meal since I moved to England almost 3 years ago?! I cook all my meals from scratch as far as possible. I've recently stopped even using jars of pasta sauce/packet mixes....

:noway:

I was referring to Hairy Dieters - Low-Fat Minced Beef and Potato Pie.... Not a ready meal? Sorry!
  • Joannie30
    Options
    I noticed in your diary that you eat a diet ready meal on occasions. If you know you're not getting enough calories why not switch to a regular meal?
    I agree with the extra protein as well....

Diet ready meal? I haven't eaten a ready meal since I moved to England almost 3 years ago?! I cook all my meals from scratch as far as possible. I've recently stopped even using jars of pasta sauce/packet mixes....

:noway:

I was referring to Hairy Dieters - Low-Fat Minced Beef and Potato Pie.... Not a ready meal? Sorry!

Haha no definitely NOT a ready meal. lol! The irony of that one is, my partner prepared and baked these from scratch and of everything he has ever cooked me- that took him the longest and the most work!!!! :laugh:

Jx