FRIENDLY fast food

Options
Meal planning is great, but there's always that moment when you're caught unprepared and sometimes your option is either starve or get fast food. In that case, what are your FRIENDLY fast food fixes? (Include calories if you know off hand)

SN: A random 'in the field' trip has come up at work...I need to be prepared. lol.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As long as you can access the nutritional information online you should be able to select SOMETHING that fits your daily intake at most restaurants. Given that it's going to be a once-in-a-while thing, I wouldn't concern yourself with anything other than fitting it into your calorie/macro totals.

That being said, my #1 choice is Chipotle because:

1) It tastes great
    2) They have a calc on-line here:
    http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx
    3) I can customize according to my macro room for the day.

Typically I get a burrito bowl with double-chicken.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    subway- no cheese or heavy sauces/spreads....I like baked chicken on whole wheat 6" with honey mustard and the veggies for around 300 cals :)

salads with roasted or grilled meat are also good-no croutons/bacon bits/cheese and dip your fork in dressing never have dressing dumped on -its usually 3x what you need :)
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    As long as you can access the nutritional information online you should be able to select SOMETHING that fits your daily intake at most restaurants. Given that it's going to be a once-in-a-while thing, I wouldn't concern yourself with anything other than fitting it into your calorie/macro totals.

1) It tastes great
    http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx

This...chipotle is the bomb.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Look up Eat this, Not That. Lots of comparisons for popular restaurants.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    7-Eleven
    LOVE that place!
    They have actual healthy choices.
    Hard boiled eggs, bananas, carrots, celery, fruits.
    Sandwiches on wheat bread.
    Special K shakes

The list goes on.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    chicken or lamb skewered kebab, no sauce - or home made sauce only.

TBH most other take-aways will put stuff on it that's not good for you. That said if it's a trusted source, noodles and rice never killed anyone, curry is ok in moderation.

Juts think cave man when you order takeaway and try to be as clean as possible.

I think my diary is open and you will see I had kebab 2 nights ago.
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I actually like the Fresca menu at Taco Bell. Their website gives really detailed information. Also if there is a Cheddars Cafe near you, they have alot of choices and their menu is posted. Oh, and McAlister's Deli is yummy!
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    KFC - Three crispy strips with both sides of green beans - I believe it comes in around 350. If you eat the biscuit, it unfortunatley adds 125 :(.

Subway or Couisins - get a bag of apple slices instead of the chips

Culvers - Grilled chicken breast sandwich - around 300

I've learned to ask for a glass of water (free in more ways than one) instead of soda. Although, I sometimes cave for light lemonade at 5 calories per 8 oz..
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    A Taco Bell Fresco crunchy taco is only 90-some calories. I mean, it's fast food - but it's not the worst thing you could eat.
  • mandybledsoe
    mandybledsoe Posts: 43 Member
    Options

1) It tastes great

I moved from AZ to NC, oh how I miss Chipotle :( The nearest one is about 2 hours away
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you have a chance, stop by a Panera Bread. They have the calories posted right on their menu.
  • kcmcd
    Options
    And the McDonald's Filet-o-Fish is about 350 calories I believe.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options

1) It tastes great

This...chipotle is the bomb.

I am in the UK we don't have this *sigh*

our Take aways choices are pretty much

Pizza
    Fish and Chips
    Kebabs
    Indian Food
    Chinese Food
    KFC

That's it. In a city I bet it's easier to pick up healthier fast food.
  • beeper211
    Options
    Chickfila- Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich (290 calories) w/ Side Salad (70 calories with no croutons/dressing/sunflower seeds)

OR

Panera Bread- Their calories are posted on the menu.

OR

Use the MyFitnessPal smartphone app when you are at the restaurant to see what menu items are lowest in calories.
  • hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you have a Noodles and Company near by, I would recommend, The Med Flatbread sandwich.
    330 Calories
    10 grams fat
    20 grams protein

Flat bread with a mayo sauce, grilled chicken, red peppers, onions, mushrooms, cilantro and feta cheese (I do mine with out the feta-don't like it) It is awesome!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Panera has a bunch of great salads that are loaded with fruits, veggies and boneless, skinless chicken. I think almost all of their entree sized salads come in at 500 calories or less. My favorite, the strawberry chicken poppyseed, comes in at 380 (including the dressing) and is packed with romaine lettuce, blueberries, pineapple, mandarin oranges, strawberries and chicken. I get it with an apple as my side.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's #6 unwich, hold the mayo (143 cal.)
    Taco Bell veggie cantina bowl (about 530 cal.)
    Taco Bell tostada (250 cal., I think)
    Chipotle bowl with brown rice, black beans, tomatillo verde, guac, and extra lettuce (about 450 cal.)
    The only thing I care to get at McDonald's is Diet Dr. Pepper.
    Burger King BK veggie, hold the mayo

ETA: Penn Station Subs will make you a salad by putting the sandwich ingredients on a bed of lettuce instead of bread.
  • kcmcd
    Options
    If you wind up in that situation just plan on getting something the get you by. Don't try and leave a fast food restaurant FULL. It won't be pretty.
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If I hit a fast food place for lunch or dinner..Which sometimes I do... I always order a kids meal....
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Subway - Wheat, 6 inch, turkey breast, no cheese/no mayo or light mayo, and all the veggies they can pile on and successfully close your sandwich :) Under 330 cals.