How do people deal with this?

Options
13»

Replies

• StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will be happy when it's more obvious, and when I don't feel guilty for getting on my horse LOL. That day will come, I hope.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will be happy when it's more obvious, and when I don't feel guilty for getting on my horse LOL. That day will come, I hope.

At least you'll get on a horse... I'm terrified of them! Actually, I'm terrified of falling (a completely irrational fear) and the one time I can remember sitting on a pony as a kid, the saddle felt like it was sliding out from under me and I would fall so... there you have it, a completely irrational fear of even getting onto a horse. LOL
  • StormyGal8
    Options

At least you'll get on a horse... I'm terrified of them! Actually, I'm terrified of falling (a completely irrational fear) and the one time I can remember sitting on a pony as a kid, the saddle felt like it was sliding out from under me and I would fall so... there you have it, a completely irrational fear of even getting onto a horse. LOL

Actually, it's not irrational at all. I rode as a teen, and not since. I was TERRIFIED to get up on him. I bought him at an auction, and they SAID he was broke to ride (and drive), but they SAY a lot of things. I was terrified he was going to toss me and I would lay there in the dirt, broken, until someone found me. LOL I wouldn't get on him until there was someone there to call 911 for me LOL. Turns out he is a lazy bugger who barely moves at a walk, so he's great for my kids to get on, but he's mine, and I will work him up to moving faster.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ok I have this problem ALL THE TIME with our competition photos. Unless the photographer is at the exact right angle, something is not going to look good. We all have the right position down (suck in the gut, shoulders down, boobs out) and it still is hit or miss. If the photographer is a little in front, as opposed to directly to the side, it's a HUGE difference in how you look in the saddle.

Sitting up on a horse, there's not much you can do to make it flattering. For example, I have very muscular upper legs, and when you look at them from the side (where they're relaxes and pressed up against the horse) they look 30% bigger than when I'm just standing normally. If I'm posting trot, unless I'm wearing my $50 sports bra (which I bought specifically for ride photos, by the way) my boobs are always in the "flat tire" position. Just for a few examples.

Keep in mind horses can comfortable carry 25% of their own body weight. On average they are 1000lbs, so that's 250lbs. They can go longer, farther, and are more comfortable with less, obviously, but as long as you have a supportive saddle, your guy feels comfortable underneath you and like he's not straining too hard, don't be afraid to ride him. It's good exercise for you both!

My girl is TINY (she only weighs 750 lbs and is just over 14 hands), so I'm right at her comfort zone. Yet we did 18 miles last weekend in the heat and humidity holding about 6mph and she did just fine. If I could load photos in this post for you, I'd load a couple so you can see how angle makes all the difference.
  • StormyGal8
    Options
    Ok I have this problem ALL THE TIME with our competition photos. Unless the photographer is at the exact right angle, something is not going to look good. We all have the right position down (suck in the gut, shoulders down, boobs out) and it still is hit or miss. If the photographer is a little in front, as opposed to directly to the side, it's a HUGE difference in how you look in the saddle.

Sitting up on a horse, there's not much you can do to make it flattering. For example, I have very muscular upper legs, and when you look at them from the side (where they're relaxes and pressed up against the horse) they look 30% bigger than when I'm just standing normally. If I'm posting trot, unless I'm wearing my $50 sports bra (which I bought specifically for ride photos, by the way) my boobs are always in the "flat tire" position. Just for a few examples.

Keep in mind horses can comfortable carry 25% of their own body weight. On average they are 1000lbs, so that's 250lbs. They can go longer, farther, and are more comfortable with less, obviously, but as long as you have a supportive saddle, your guy feels comfortable underneath you and like he's not straining too hard, don't be afraid to ride him. It's good exercise for you both!

My girl is TINY (she only weighs 750 lbs and is just over 14 hands), so I'm right at her comfort zone. Yet we did 18 miles last weekend in the heat and humidity holding about 6mph and she did just fine. If I could load photos in this post for you, I'd load a couple so you can see how angle makes all the difference.

My guy is big, he's only 15HH, but I really think he may be part draft. He's got a huge body, and big feet. When I got him he was 1340lbs (he was weighed, because I bought him at an auction...meat buyers need to know how much they are paying per pound and all :( ), he's probably about 1100lbs now, with a 2inch crest (it was 6 inches when I got him, we don't think the last 2 inches will come off though) and a small fat pad on his hind end still. I am 253lbs right now, and am not riding him for long periods (like 15 minutes at a time for now).

As for 6MPH...frick, if I could get my guy to go 2MPH I would be happy LOL. Not because he's struggling (he was the same with a substantially lighter woman on his back too), but because he's just pokey/lazy.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ha well we do endurance with Arabians (and Arab crosses), so they're built to move for long periods of time. :-) The big guys are slower but they're also super sweet! Sounds like he's a pretty well-cared for pony!
  • happypath101
    Options
    When talking about how she looks in pictures:

"Even I don't wake up looking like Cindy Crawford."
    Cindy Crawford

Never fear! You are not alone! :O)