Getting made fun of....?

Options
APawli1224
APawli1224 Posts: 80 Member
Does anyone else ever feel like they need to wear a shirt that says,

"I have been working out for _____ I have lost ____lbs since then. Before making fun of me and teasing maybe give me a compliment for doing a good job!"

I always feel I need to explain myself when people honk horns and such at me for being over weight and yelling rude comments out there windows or staring while lifting weights in the gym..

It is almost as if I need to apologize to everyone around me for being in my situation.. I'm sorry that I got over weight but instead of staring at me why not give me props for bring my butt somewhere to try and get this fat off my body and build muscle..

I really dont see why the people who are overweight and doing something about it is so targeted when just like the healthier people we are sweating too and working out.. I just dont understand..

Opinions? Suggestions?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    People are *kitten*.

Live and let live..
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    There is a massive double standard for this in most gyms too...lots of overweight guys in the "in" crowd in the gym.

editied to be more PC.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Don't let em get you down- ppl are rude. People will ALWAYS be rude. If someone says something rude to you, use it as motivation and DON'T let them see they get to you. That's what they want.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Don't let people you don't know affect you. Who cares what they think? They're not your friend, they're not your bed buddy, and (hopefully) they don't work with you.

If they do know you and they're your friend/bed buddy, and insult you in such a way, fire them. Life is too short to allow yourself to let negativity to get to you.
  • kimg68
    Options

"I have been working out for _____ I have lost ____lbs since then. Before making fun of me and teasing maybe give me a compliment for doing a good job!"

I always feel I need to explain myself when people honk horns and such at me for being over weight and yelling rude comments out there windows or staring while lifting weights in the gym..

It is almost as if I need to apologize to everyone around me for being in my situation.. I'm sorry that I got over weight but instead of staring at me why not give me props for bring my butt somewhere to try and get this fat off my body and build muscle..

I really dont see why the people who are overweight and doing something about it is so targeted when just like the healthier people we are sweating too and working out.. I just dont understand..

Opinions? Suggestions?

The upside here is, one day you will be at your goal, fit and fine. They will still be an *kitten*. You can't work that off.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You also might be reading some of the said people wrong. They could be staring or honking their horn because they think you are attractive.
  • Cbarrese86
    Options
    I commend you on working so hard to make yourself healthy! I am just starting out on my weight loss journey and it is so motovating to know that there are other people out there going through the same thing I am. It makes me want to cry every time someone is telling a story about some "fat" person and then they look at me insert that "it's not because they are big boned like you or anything... they are just fat and lazy". I am looking forward to shoving their words down their throats! Keep up the good work! Their words and actions only motovate me to work harder.
  • APawli1224
    APawli1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You also might be reading some of the said people wrong. They could be staring or honking their horn because they think you are attractive.

It usually comes with rude comments faded out to laughing lol I have gotten some good honks but mainly the first option :P
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That is complete BS! You shouldn't let it bother you, but I know that's easier said than done. I have been getting a lot of flack recently from people when I tell them I'm signed up to do a 5k in November. Some even roll their eyes and ask me if I want to embarrass myself. I don't advertise to everyone how hard I'm working to change my lifestyle. To be honest? I don't even care if I walk half of that 5k, I will be proud of myself for doing it at all. You should be proud of yourself because you are not sitting on the couch. Anyone who can't be supportive, stranger or not, can shove it IMO.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you have to deal with that. WTF is wrong with people? :angry:
  • mandypinetown
    Options
    I don't give a toss if someone is making fun of me or not... my whole attitude is, I'm here for me and doing it for me and if you don't bloody like it then fooking do one.

*kisses for your bruised heart xx
  • budercup
    budercup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • budercup
    budercup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Where's the like button! It's like oh I have to loos x#lbs then I can go to the gym
  • askinnybanana13
    Options
    Truth be told people suck!!!!---

issue:
    people staring at you at the gym lifting you weights.

fix#1
    raise one eye brow, keep lifting your weights, and say "OMG! I haven't seen you in forever." they will seem confused and bewildered then say "you look great you must have lost what?, 30-40 pounds" before giving them a chance to respond quickly mention how much weight you have lost ie ''yeah i have lost 25 lbs now I am strength training, nice see you bye." the causally stop lifting and change machines if they answer say ''oh I'm sorry i'm so embarrassed you look just like this girl/ guy who was at the over eaters anonymous," show your embarrassment and walk away.---- if the one staring is to far away to create a uncomfortable situation for conversation. raise that brow and wink with a cute little smirk.

fix #2:
    (advice from my mother) with a bewildered look on your face look at the individual and say, "between my sets I like to take a sip of water, not stare at the new girl, or is that how you exercise your crows feet?"

fix#3:
    (advice from my 4 year son) stare back!!!!

Fix#4 advice from my 2 year old) say "this is serious." -- quote from wonder pets on nick jr.

Fix#5 I caught myself staring in the mirror at these two high school boys must have been upcoming freshmen about 4-5 weeks ago they saw me glancing but there was an issue they were lifting wrong and were going to get hurt. I couldn't resist in walking over there and helping them lift properly since then the ask me how to use certain stuff and ask how heavy.-- my stare wasn't mean it was concern so my advice is -- if you feel there stare or glance has a potential to friendly ask for help ( don't forget to mention you saw them staring) even if no help is needed it is a great way to break that ice, make a gym buddy, and teach them not to stare.

If the issues at the gym of people gawking at you is to much to confront with humor I would tell the staff because in most cases that bad attitude is created by the members not the staff.

My ultimate belief is that those who treat people in a fashion in which they make fun, tease, or look down upon will deal with more issues in life than weight issues, they will have less quality friends, the list goes on and on and on.... but what most important is that you always stay true to who you are and know how far you have come. these people who poke fun are strangers and let them remain strangers. they do not know what you know about yourself.

Hannah
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Truth be told people suck!!!!---

issue:
    people staring at you at the gym lifting you weights.

fix#1
    raise one eye brow, keep lifting your weights, and say "OMG! I haven't seen you in forever." they will seem confused and bewildered then say "you look great you must have lost what?, 30-40 pounds" before giving them a chance to respond quickly mention how much weight you have lost ie ''yeah i have lost 25 lbs now I am strength training, nice see you bye." the causally stop lifting and change machines if they answer say ''oh I'm sorry i'm so embarrassed you look just like this girl/ guy who was at the over eaters anonymous," show your embarrassment and walk away.---- if the one staring is to far away to create a uncomfortable situation for conversation. raise that brow and wink with a cute little smirk.

fix #2:
    (advice from my mother) with a bewildered look on your face look at the individual and say, "between my sets I like to take a sip of water, not stare at the new girl, or is that how you exercise your crows feet?"

fix#3:
    (advice from my 4 year son) stare back!!!!

Fix#4 advice from my 2 year old) say "this is serious." -- quote from wonder pets on nick jr.

Hannah

If only I had the nerve!!! This is awesome.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

dis is sssereaiss

Whats gana work?
  • Madelinew22
    Options

dis is sssereaiss

Whats gana work?

teeam wook!!

hate that show but my daughter loves it, so i no all the songs
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options

Opinions? Suggestions?

Step 1: Stop giving a *kitten* what people think.
    Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Keep being awesome.
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Opinions? Suggestions?

Its extremely disappointing to hear about those kinds of people. Judgemental and ignorant!! You look wonderful, don't let them make you feel any different.
  • MeliJean78
    Options
    I tell those rejects to shut it or suck it (my banana of course).