Getting made fun of....?

Options

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I tell those rejects to shut it or suck it (my banana of course).
    Yeah, but, let's face it... you're kinda fruity.
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    Does anyone else ever feel like they need to wear a shirt that says,

"I have been working out for _____ I have lost ____lbs since then. Before making fun of me and teasing maybe give me a compliment for doing a good job!"

I always feel I need to explain myself when people honk horns and such at me for being over weight and yelling rude comments out there windows or staring while lifting weights in the gym..

It is almost as if I need to apologize to everyone around me for being in my situation.. I'm sorry that I got over weight but instead of staring at me why not give me props for bring my butt somewhere to try and get this fat off my body and build muscle..

I really dont see why the people who are overweight and doing something about it is so targeted when just like the healthier people we are sweating too and working out.. I just dont understand..

Opinions? Suggestions?

im underweight and people yell stuff at me...like eat a burger..HA HA yeah thats real funny...come up with something original for a change people..it gets SOOO OLD!
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    OMG that's ridiculous. Whenever I see an overweight person power-walking or obviously exercising I always thing "Good for them!" and "Dang they're doing more than I am, I need to get with it" but I've never thought of making fun of them, that's so uncalled for. Screw the haters in the world, they're just upset they're lazy and you're out there workin' it.....................
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    im underweight and people yell stuff at me...like eat a burger..HA HA yeah thats real funny...come up with something original for a change people..it gets SOOO OLD!
    Eat bacon. That's not a joke. Seriously, get bacon and bring it over.
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I hear you, every time I go for a walk people give themselves whip lash to look. Embarrassing.
    I joined a gym a few years back to work out with a friend who was helping me get back in shape, then I noticed these "young healthy kids" looking and laughing. I was so mortified. I never went back to the gym. I went to a different gym to join.
    I saw the look on people's faces... Everyone stopped and looked at me when I walked in--( imagine music playing and it just stops when you walk in lol). That I turned around and left as quickly as I could. Someone ran after me and I just couldn't face anyone there. It took me a few years to get back into the desire to work out again.
    I am very self conscious about my looks. People should mind their own business.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Stop giving a *kitten* what people think.
    Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Keep being awesome.

To the point and perfect. Wouldn't expect anything less from you.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    Finally someone understands.

But just don't think about people. Screw them. They're nobody to you. So just keep doing your thing and don't pay attention to them.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Say this:

" I may be fat..but you're an a s s h o l e, and I can DIET!!!"

Walk away!
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else ever feel like they need to wear a shirt that says,

"I have been working out for _____ I have lost ____lbs since then. Before making fun of me and teasing maybe give me a compliment for doing a good job!"

I always feel I need to explain myself when people honk horns and such at me for being over weight and yelling rude comments out there windows or staring while lifting weights in the gym..

It is almost as if I need to apologize to everyone around me for being in my situation.. I'm sorry that I got over weight but instead of staring at me why not give me props for bring my butt somewhere to try and get this fat off my body and build muscle..

I really dont see why the people who are overweight and doing something about it is so targeted when just like the healthier people we are sweating too and working out.. I just dont understand..

Opinions? Suggestions?

Because people are ****s. It doesn't matter if you're in the process of losing weight or have lost weight, people are still going to be ****s because that's just what they are.

Focus on yourself, don't worry about them.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    To be frank, the people that harass you most couldn't give two turds about whether you're doing anything or not. They see you as you are in that moment and judge you on that alone because they don't have two braincells to rub together to form the thought that just maybe you have feelings.

I've been overweight since I was pretty much a kid and I was beaten up because of it, harassed, and ostracized by my peers. People even said I should be taken away by social services because they thought my mother was making me fat just because she happened to be big too. (that and my father enjoyed spreading nasty rumors after they divorced) Nobody cared what the reality was, no one cared that I was trying every diet fad that blew through trying to lose weight, they just saw what they wanted and they judged. People like that don't even deserve an explanation, if they want to think I frequent Mickey D's and order 5 cheeseburgers for every meal, let them.
  • KhaosTh30ry
    KhaosTh30ry Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't pay any attention to them! You ARE at a gym or working out somewhere!
    You are better than they are! :)
    Keep going!!!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Forgive me for laughing...oh my!

Bacon solves all problems!

:laugh:
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always have the urge to yell at people I see running on the street while I'm driving - Words of encouragement! no matter what the person looks like but I never do because I don't want someone to take it the wrong way... like I'm making fun of them.. but I wouldn't be, I guess I'm not sure what to say to actually be encouraging.. :ohwell:

Anyways hopefully you run into some nicer people. There are good people out there too! Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Forgive me for laughing...oh my!

Bacon solves all problems!

:laugh:
    It is magical.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You also might be reading some of the said people wrong. They could be staring or honking their horn because they think you are attractive.

When people honk I can never tell if they're making fun of me or think I'm attractive, I usually think theyre being sarcastic
  • CandyTX
    Options
    I guess I so rarely experienced this... even when I started this and I was 375 pounds. I'm not sure if I turned a blind eye to it, just exuded a positive attitude or what.

I think the advice you have gotten is sound. Just do your own thing. I'm not in the gym to socialize. I was there at 375 to workout. I'm there now at 192 to workout. I bring my earphones and my kindle and do my thing. HOWEVER, I'm 37 and I find the older I get, frankly, the less of a crud I care about what people say/do/think.

I'm not big on "come backs". I mean, really, does it make you feel any better to belittle someone else - even if they've done it to you? I kind of have a live and let live attitude about that, so I think ignoring it probably how I'd handle it.

As far as weights and stuff, my ONLY piece of advice, if you haven't already, is to have a session or few with a good trainer and make sure your form is good. You can really hurt yourself if your not doing it right. I'm sure you got this, but yeah... I made that mistake ;)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think you are thinking about it all wrong. You aren't doing it for them, you are doing it for you. Their opinion and comments mean nothing. If you still can't move beyond hearing it then use it as fuel.
  • purpleblaze
    Options

I Love BACON! ive had bacon for breakfast and lunch today...im on my way! its a bacon party!
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I learned long time ago not to stereo type people. Now that I have a problem I know that people are just ignorant and self centered and one day they will learn.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    In the immortal words of the Dougie "You just do you, and I'ma do me".

Who gives a flying eff what those people think? You're not there for their approval are you?