Running my first 5K on Sat. Need Advice!

Options
Hey MFP Peeps! I joined the site two months ago and life has changed radically! I am so happy to be on this journey with you all.

Saturday morning I'm running my first 5K at the Philadelphia Zoo. I am really looking forward to the race.

Question for all of you who do this running thing routinely... Given that I have two days in between now and my race, what do I do today and tomorrow to prep? Should I try to sneak in a few quick runs? How far should I go? I don't want to get too tired, but don't want to "rest" if I shouldn't be resting. This could be a non-issue I guess, given that 3 miles is a pretty manageable distance!

Separately, other race day tips would be appreciated! Should I try to hydrate a lot before hand? What do I eat? How do I avoid cramps?

Thanks all in advance!

Replies

• LoveMy3Boys605
    LoveMy3Boys605 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K a couple of weeks ago. I am not a runner, and I have never been. I've always been jealous of people who do it because they really seem to enjoy it! My trainer and some of my new Crossfit friends talked me into running it. I didn't prep, didn't do anything special just decided to go and have fun. I DID!! I ran it in 36 minutes. That might seem long for some, but my only goal was to finish it. Now bear in mind, when I first started doing Crossfit 5 months ago, I could barely run around a track once (and I teach step aerobics). There probably are many things you can do to prep for it, but I say go have fun and don't stress too much!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Just have FUN!!! you will love how you feel crossing the finish line :)
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I would run nothing more than 2 easy miles tomorrow. Just enough to get the muscles stretched and heart pumping a little. As for today, no speed work or long runs but other than whatever you normally do.

Tips:
    Don't start out too fast.
    Don't try to "carb-load" tomorrow night, you'll probably end up regretting it and for 3 miles it's unnecessary.
    Enjoy it, races are the fun part
    Did I mention to not start out too fast?
    Don't eat or drink any more or less than you normally do when you run 3 miles. Just do what you normally do and you'll be fine.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You could do a small run today and a rest or walk tomorrow.
    Enjoy your FUN run
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd probably go for an easy, light jog today and then take the next day off, maybe do a little yoga. My best tip to give you for running the race is to start off slow! I know most runners know to start off slow so they don't wear out, but it's easy to get excited at a race and start off too fast-especially when there's several well seasoned runners in front of you that take off really fast. Start slow and steady so you can cross the finish line strong!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It depends on what works for you, and this is why it's a great idea to keep some kind of run journal. If you run two days in a row, is your second run usually better or worse? My second day running is almost always better, so I'll run a slow, easy 5k the day before a race. If it's worse, then do an easy 5k run today and then take tomorrow as a rest day. I probably wouldn't take two rest days in a row before a race, that's just me.
  • Calliesmom1
    Options
    Runners will have said to me no rest needed. No prep need. Blah blah blah. Cause 3 miles just isn't that far. BS! To me beginning 3 miles was forever long. Now I run 3 miles every other day so its not that big of a deal anymore. But i feel ya. I say no 'sneaking in runs' the day before. You do need to rest because race day you tend to push yourself more than you did in training. Get your clothes out get your water bottle cleaned. Watever you need to do so you can run out the door on Race morning. I hate fumbling at 6 in the morning and can't find my favorite running bra or watever. And GOOD LUCK :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A 5K is pretty manageable without any training or special plan. I did one (run/walk) in August with no training at all except my normal daily walk/runs - my time sucked (although I wasn't last)! I'm doing another one in a couple of weeks.- hope to be under 45 minutes (I know that's high but I still weigh over 250 lbs). My training for this has been walking more and doing some weights (general fitness - not just for the race).

Go out at a steady pace and keep it up as long as you can. Use this as a bench mark for future races - you'll get addicted quickly!

Good luck!
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Very excited for you I was in your shoes about 6 weeks ago with all the questions. You'll do fine! I'm so jealous running at the Zoo!!! Thats awesome!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to offer as I'm only halfway through training.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWY_xsg3INGeFBn2DGc7F9O6DOqGcFlQa8y7o_3tntjmMKbw_5dQ

Good luck!
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP Peeps! I joined the site two months ago and life has changed radically! I am so happy to be on this journey with you all.

Saturday morning I'm running my first 5K at the Philadelphia Zoo. I am really looking forward to the race.

Question for all of you who do this running thing routinely... Given that I have two days in between now and my race, what do I do today and tomorrow to prep? Should I try to sneak in a few quick runs? How far should I go? I don't want to get too tired, but don't want to "rest" if I shouldn't be resting. This could be a non-issue I guess, given that 3 miles is a pretty manageable distance!

Separately, other race day tips would be appreciated! Should I try to hydrate a lot before hand? What do I eat? How do I avoid cramps?

Thanks all in advance!

You should keep it to what you did during your training. If you usually take a rest day, have a rest day. I get really tired if I run too many days in a row and it really tires me out. Also, about hydration.... be careful. My first 5k I drank before the race; I had to "go" the entire run which was really distracting and I almost wet my pants crossing the finish line. No bueno! Good luck and have fun!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    For 5ks, not a lot of prep is required. Rest the day before and agreed on not carb loading. I don't like to eat 2 hours before the race and if I do, I have something small, but high in protein....a protein bar or some eggs and a banana. Also, don't drink a lot of water before the race. Either bring a bottle and drink throughout or just have the cups they hand out. I had a better time bringing my own bottle and drinking when I needed to. Start out slow and set a good pace...if you are a new runner, having fun and finishing should be more of a goal than time. That was how it was for me and my first two races...one I did in 34:30 and the other I did in like 35:40.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Runners will have said to me no rest needed. No prep need. Blah blah blah. Cause 3 miles just isn't that far. BS! To me beginning 3 miles was forever long. Now I run 3 miles every other day so its not that big of a deal anymore. But i feel ya. I say no 'sneaking in runs' the day before. You do need to rest because race day you tend to push yourself more than you did in training. Get your clothes out get your water bottle cleaned. Watever you need to do so you can run out the door on Race morning. I hate fumbling at 6 in the morning and can't find my favorite running bra or watever. And GOOD LUCK :)

You may not need a hydration pack or energy gels, but if 5km is a significant distance for you, then of course you need to prep! You should be adequately prepared for anything you find personally challenging. I think people who have been running a long time are prone to say "oh you don't need to worry about X Y and Z" because a shorter race isn't a challenge for them. Don't listen to people who undermine the challenge :)

Forgot to add... the fewer variables you introduce into your run on the day of the race, the better. What do you do normally to maximize your run? Do that.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i'm a novice runner myself, so unfortunately i don't have any tips or recommendations for you. just wanted to stop by and show some support! I've been working on the couch-to-5k program, and i am also running my very first 5k on saturday morning. best of luck to you!! we can do it! :happy:
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    2 days before the race: Rest! If you feel like you need to run, just do 1 mile loosen up and go nice and easy. The goal is to go in with rested, loose muscles so that you can really relax and have fun.

Relax, start slow, and try to build up your speed as the race goes on if you're still feeling strong (if not, just keep an easy pace).

Eat light the morning of, maybe something with a little protein (I like to do half a bagel or an english muffin with peanut butter and honey). Make sure to stretch out so you're nice and loose.

Relax and have fun! You can do it!
  • StevenDial
    StevenDial Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BUMP, my first 5k is in 2 weeks. I can use this info too :happy:
  • secretlobster
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWY_xsg3INGeFBn2DGc7F9O6DOqGcFlQa8y7o_3tntjmMKbw_5dQ

Gandalf said "fly" not "run" :\
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My brother gave me the best advice. It is (drum roll please):

Don't stop.

And...you can do it. Post your results! Good luck.
  • LoveMy3Boys605
    LoveMy3Boys605 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I concur with everyone's advice to start slow! That advice was given to me before mine, and it's what I did! I was able to run the whole 5K without stopping and even started crying because I was overwhelmed with pride in myself for doing. Plus my 3 year old was waiting for me at the final stretch and gave me a high five just before crossing the finish line!! It was an amazing experience!!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I would run nothing more than 2 easy miles tomorrow. Just enough to get the muscles stretched and heart pumping a little. As for today, no speed work or long runs but other than whatever you normally do.

Tips:
    Don't start out too fast.
    Don't try to "carb-load" tomorrow night, you'll probably end up regretting it and for 3 miles it's unnecessary.
    Enjoy it, races are the fun part
    Did I mention to not start out too fast?
    Don't eat or drink any more or less than you normally do when you run 3 miles. Just do what you normally do and you'll be fine.

this is perfect advice.