Running my first 5K on Sat. Need Advice!

Replies

• I'd do a light 1.5 to 2 mile run today and take Friday off and go to bed early. The race is probably first thing Saturday morning so I'd eat a light breakfast 1.5 to 2 hours before the race and hydrate right as you get up but stop drinking at least 45 minutes before the race.

Get to the race site at least 30-45 minutes prior, pick-up your race # at the registration (many races have packet pick-up Friday evenings too), go for a short warm-up run, stretch a little all while trying to find all of your friends in the race. DO NOT go to the front of the start line, that is where the sub 20 minute runners are and they'll run you over! ; )

Have a fun time running your first 5K and take a before and after picture for memories.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Hey MFP Peeps! I joined the site two months ago and life has changed radically! I am so happy to be on this journey with you all.

Saturday morning I'm running my first 5K at the Philadelphia Zoo. I am really looking forward to the race.

Question for all of you who do this running thing routinely... Given that I have two days in between now and my race, what do I do today and tomorrow to prep? Should I try to sneak in a few quick runs? How far should I go? I don't want to get too tired, but don't want to "rest" if I shouldn't be resting. This could be a non-issue I guess, given that 3 miles is a pretty manageable distance!

Separately, other race day tips would be appreciated! Should I try to hydrate a lot before hand? What do I eat? How do I avoid cramps?

Thanks all in advance!

It's a 5Km race which means that you don't need to worry about Tapering or anything drastic. For a 5K, I usually just rest the day before and try to do some non running type of exercise (go for a walk or leisure swim). If I am unfamiliar with the course, I'll go out and bicycle it or walk it the day before.... nothing strenuous but it does help you visualize the race.

General rule of thumb... Go with what you know! This applies especially to longer races. Don't change your routine or try anything your body isn't used to... i.e. if you go to a race expo, avoid trying the products that will upset the balance. If you are used to running in a specific pair of shoes or outfit... wear those shoes or that outfit. Race day is a terrible time to find out that the new shirt\shoes or shorts chafe, or the energy bar you are eating gives you the trots. Go with what you know!

You may also want to avoid getting drawn into someone elses race. I usually recommend people start near the back of the pack (particularly when it is a chip timed race). A couple of reasons include;

1. You avoid trying to keep up with the really fast people and running a pace you can't manage. You'll run out of energy and then your pace will really suffer.

2. You'll spend the first few minutes moving slowly as the race starts... let the crowd thin out before you start expending your energy running. (ie. you spend less energy moving forward than weaving side to side) Why waste energy wading thru that of slow moving people?

3. Psychologically, no one likes being passed. If someone is trying to pass you, you will likely end up running faster than you want (again to a pace you can't maintain). If no one is passing you, you will resist the urge. The best place to start so that no one passes you ... is at the back. You can spend the rest of the race passing others who didn't learn race psychology.

4. Have FUN! If you aren't placing first, second or third... you get the same prize as everyone else. Enjoy the ride and bask in YOUR accomplishment!

Good Luck! Have fun! and if you want more running based advice... I am a coach for the Running Room and experienced in guiding new runners to their goals. Drop me a Friend Request or any Questions you may have.

Cheers!
  • michelle2482
    michelle2482 Posts: 33 Member
    This is why I love this site! Thank you all! I really appreciate it.

What I'm getting from your comments:

1) run light and easy today, rest tomorrow
    2) don't drink a lot of water before hand, drink as I run
    3) no carbo loading the night before (wasn't planning to :))
    4) eat a light breakfast, preferably something w/ protein
    5) start slow
    6) have fun!

Awesome. Will be back to let you know how it goes! I should say that I'm absolutely NOT A RUNNER and the fact that this race is even possible is 100% because of the Couch to 5K training program. To anyone out there who is "afraid" of running, the same way I was, give it a shot!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    2) don't drink a lot of water before hand, drink as I run

I don't know if I agree with this one... don't drink a lot of water immediately before the race (unless the feeling of having to pee motivates you to run faster?), but make sure you are well-hydrated in the days leading up to the race (drink a lot of water today and tomorrow). Whether or not you need to drink during the 5k is up to you, I never need to because I'm well-hydrated the day before.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWY_xsg3INGeFBn2DGc7F9O6DOqGcFlQa8y7o_3tntjmMKbw_5dQ

Gandalf said "fly" not "run" :\

Yes, he did say fly. But the meme applies ;)

Ned never said "Brace yourselves," either but that didn't seem to stop that meme either! :laugh:
  • michelle2482
    Ok, so try to hit my 8 glass goals in the days before?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    PS -> To avoid cramps -> A light meal beforehand high in potassium. I usually have an open faced Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole grain bread.

PSS -> If its an early morning race, I usually have a small 8oz bottle of water 20 minutes before racetime.

PSSS -> Don't forget to use the bathroom twice before race time... once to pee, and once about 10 minutes later to void any other excess cargo... just saying cuz POOP happens.

Good Luck!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Ok, so try to hit my 8 glass goals in the days before?

When I train, I do WAY better hydrated. I'll even drink some gatorade. It helps me. :)
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    I would rest these two days if it were me just because I want to make sure that my legs are not at all sore.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    I don't have any advice, just want to say good luck!! I can't wait to run one!!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    I would run nothing more than 2 easy miles tomorrow. Just enough to get the muscles stretched and heart pumping a little. As for today, no speed work or long runs but other than whatever you normally do.

Tips:
    Don't start out too fast.
    Don't try to "carb-load" tomorrow night, you'll probably end up regretting it and for 3 miles it's unnecessary.
    Enjoy it, races are the fun part
    Did I mention to not start out too fast?
    Don't eat or drink any more or less than you normally do when you run 3 miles. Just do what you normally do and you'll be fine.

This is all excellent advice.
  • michelle2482
    PS -> To avoid cramps -> A light meal beforehand high in potassium. I usually have an open faced Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole grain bread.

PSS -> If its an early morning race, I usually have a small 8oz bottle of water 20 minutes before racetime.

PSSS -> Don't forget to use the bathroom twice before race time... once to pee, and once about 10 minutes later to void any other excess cargo... just saying cuz POOP happens.

Good Luck!

Oh good God... your PSSS. :) Will heed your advice and attempt to erase this image from my mind!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    To add on to what others have said:
    Get there early to ensure you find parking, get your bib and warm-up/stretch.
    I'm an AM runner so I do my regular routine before running - same amount of water and I don't eat
    I don't run at all the day before a run
    I know I'm a slower runner, so I start to the middle to back of the starting line.
    I use the runkeeper app so I have it tell me what my pace is... I get race adrenaline and often tire myself out too soon... so the app helps keep me in check.
    Don't wear the free shirts they give you - wear your normal running gear.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I jotted my first race tips in my blog, hope they help :flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-before-my-first-race-266231

Good luck, and do come abck and let us know how you get on:smile:
  • RScott714
    RScott714 Posts: 2 Member
    Hydration is very important in running. As odd as it may sound, your urine should be the color of lemonade. I try to stop the sodas (too much sodium) and drink a little more water when I'm training hard. For 3.1 miles there's no real need to use gatorade or gel packs. You also may want to start off in the back of the group if your pace is less than an 8 min mile so you don't get passed a lot and discouraged.

And finally I agree....have fun and good luck.
  • Best of Luck to you! Philly Zoo will be fun :) Advice....

Keeping Running...even if you have to slow your pace keeping running don't walk you will get to the end faster I promise :)
    As far as food...don't carb up the night before. I normally eat a slice of toast with peanut butter or half a bagel, sometimes a banana. But whatever you do eat it early enough so that you are not cramping during race.
  • Have you gotten the start slow message yet? It's a difficult one that even experienced runners have a hard time with. While it seems counter intuitive for a beginning runner. Warm up by running a little about 20-30 minutes before race time. Make sure that you don't go very far or fast maybe 5-10 minutes of warmup for a beginner. You won't miss the energy it consumes and will be able to run easier at the start for it. Mostly have fun. A race is a really neat atmosphere with lots of great, supportive, people. Good luck!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member

Don't wear the free shirts they give you - wear your normal running gear.

I agree with this particularly. You could get unexpected chaffing, so stick to what you normally wear.

Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-before-my-first-race-266231

Every single one of these is fantastic. Great advice.
  • michelle2482

Every single one of these is fantastic. Great advice.

Yes! I didn't even think about how to pin my number or to make sure that it wasn't uncomfortable when running/moving. Great tip!