Foods that make you .............(AHEM) go..........

Options
Well............ leave it up to me to ask something like this, but here goes............. I am sure we have all been there where your loosing weight and doing great and then suddenly you realize or you were counting the days that you had not gone to the bathroom. WHAT FOODS DO YOU EAT AND IT WORKS EVERYTIME? :noway: ......If you take a laxitive thats fine but i would prefer to hear about natural ways of keepin things moving. :embarassed:

Replies

• lemontress
    Options
    Eating plenty of fiber should keep things moving.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    yogurt, fermented veggies, kombucha, or a sweet potato. Works everytime :) the little bugs in the first three help things
  • asticoral
    Options
    You can change your diary to show daily fiber or go to your reports and select that to check - the bowels shift on their own accord
    things that will vary it are meat proteins ~ they take longer to digest completely, massive fiber intake ~ a painful, gaseous way to get things going... and the simplest; you are eating at your intakes requirement and its using everything before shifting.
    If you're not feeling like yer innards are made out of cement, have any pain there isn't a hard n fast rule about bowels shifting when there is a change of dietary intake (read dieting)

Make ubar sure you are getting Plenty of water and are eating 30 - 40 grams of fiber daily

Foods that can help regulate bowels are bananas, celery, pumpkin flesh (canned whole NOT pie filling) and yogurt ~ regulate means these foods are good for a balancing act for loose or compacted stool
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I really understand that, wish I didn't but oh well, can't have everything can we :D
    I don't know any miracle solution but Fig Biscuits are good for speeding it up a bit. I would suggest if you find you go a week, regularly, without going then you should speak to your doctor it could lead to nasty digestive stuff
    (Food kept coming up with me because of this 'ahem' problem once) so ... it might be worth checking out.
  • sbarman
    Options
    I stopped worrying about doing through foods and took a doctor's advice and started using Senekot. I take it before going to bed. It's natural and works. When it starts to work too well, I cut it back to one pill.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Coffee
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    A few ounces of prune juice...horrible, with great results!
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Prune juice. Lentils. Quinoa. Try going vegetarian for a day or two and see if that works on cleaning out your system. By going veggie for a day, I mean eat fresh vegetables and fruits.

Hope you feel better!
  • wens273
    Options
    Porridge oats always work fro me, must be the fibre.. Make sure your drinking enough water and moving enough, as both impact on bowel function. Dehydration causes constipation, and caffeine dehydrates you.
    Prunes, figs, liquorice are natural laxatives. I think the advice to look at your fibre intake is a good one. Not enough and there just isn't enough bulk for your body to push against.
    If you really struggle getting enough fibre you can get natural plant fibre as a dissolving powder to add to foods or just drink, it's not a laxative as such, juts makes sure your diet has enough fibre.

Ongoing constipation if these things dont help should be double checked with your doctor,
    Wx
  • wens273
    Options
    Take care with regular sensor though, taken long term your gut can become dependant on it. Intermittent use is better.
    Wx
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yogurt completely shuts down my system, so I have to be careful how often I eat it. Which is a SHAME becuase I really like greek yogurt and the protein it provides !

Veggies esp corn, lots of other fiber, plenty of water.
  • wens273
    Options
    Blooming predictive typing, I meant regular senekot
  • karen51301
    karen51301 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you get up in the morning drink a cup of black coffee while sitting still. I do this every morning before exercising and works to move things through every time! Usually takes 15 to 20 minutes. Nothing worse than getting a few miles away from home and then needing to go!
  • olliethecat
    olliethecat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A glass of warm water with a squeeze of lemon juice every morning seems to work for me
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Coffee

Dude.

For me, with coffee, it's damn near immediate.
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set up to shop fiber counts when I track. I aim for 35 and up. I find that eating at least 3 serving of fruit a day, having a high fiber breakfast(I absolutely love oatmeal wih wheat bran or Bob's Red Mill - Whole Grain High Fiber Hot Cereal With Flaxseed), and drinking green tea have me going at least once a day. And after eating so much fruit for snacks I find that have less time and desire for my usual sweet tooth cravings.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Coffee

Dude.

For me, with coffee, it's damn near immediate.

Ditto ... same goes for my wife. Coffee is like the instant laxative!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I can't go, I eat fast food. That stuff clears me right out. And coffee does too.
  • hazelnutgranola
    Options
    Figs, bio-yoghurt, bananas, melons and berries, prunes, aloe vera gel/juice (<<-- this is actually very effective), carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, avocadoes, hemp seeds, flaxseeds, olive oil, spinach, kale, raw seeds and nuts, and cooked legumes and beans.

Personally, I suggest trying the aloe vera gel - I grow my own, and I just snip a leaf off and scoop out the gel!
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I start each morning with a BIG bowl of oatmeal and I eat at least three servings of raw vegetables every day. Combined with a lot of water I think this is what keeps me super regular.